Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My Mersey lifeboat build  (Read 29863 times)

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: My Mersey lifeboat build
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2020, 01:27:36 am »

One of the fuel fillers in situ.

It can just about be seen behind the grille. It will stand out more when the cabin is painted orange and the filler cap will be chrome.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2020, 04:24:57 pm »

I have been working on the catches that hold the rope locker watertight doors open over the weekend.
I started by making the brackets out of plasticard and added the bolt details using 1mm rhinestones ( which will be painted silver later ).

I then used some OO gauge model railway coupling hooks for the latches. These were shortened and using plasticard and brass wire were made into the complete latching mechanism .

They were then glued to the brackets to make the complete unit. Then fixed to the deck.

A loop made from .5mm wire was added to the locker door. The doors were refitted and tested all seem to work ok.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2020, 04:48:37 pm »

The handles for the watertight doors have been made. I had to make 6 of these in all ( 2 for each door ). The reason for the long brass pin is I am planning to adding so sort of locking mechanisms so they can be locked when the boat is on the water and open so you can see inside the rope lockers when not in use.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2020, 12:45:50 am »

The trim tabs that I made a while ago have been bonded to the hull. The rams for the trim tabs have been made (including hydraulic fittings and hoses).

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2020, 01:04:55 am »

Work has started on detailing the cabin interior. Firstly the cabin was painted it's 3 main colours.

Then the front window bars which protect the crew from any flying objects in bad weather were added.

The seats and footlockers which were made a while ago have been assembled , painted and details like catches , hinges and handles added ( I have just got to make some decals for the doors ).

And finally for now the main instrument panel has been made and painted ready to fit to their console.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2020, 02:11:03 am »

A little bit more detailing work on the cabin has been done. Firstly the bench, steps and cup holder have been fitted.

The seats have had their final bits of detailing, in the way of seatbelts and decals on the locker doors, added.

And finally for now the upper control panels have been made, painted and installed.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2020, 10:19:33 am »

Beyno,
For some reason my contact 'notify' has not been letting me know your progress for a few months. You have certainly cracked on with lots of good detailed scratch work. The seats and their containers look really good. I've enjoyed seeing this and hope the system will tell me the next stage.
For me in 'lockdown' I have finished a the stern railings for the Shannon, but at the moment I am doing some military modelling of 1/9th scale resin busts - a Teutonic 14th century knight and Boudica [queen of the Icene tribe], just for something different and to use the airbrushes.
Regards,
Kim

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2020, 07:33:18 pm »

The details you guys do on these models is for me unbelievable, you are are to be congratulated.....wish I had the patience and the skill....me back to metal bashing into something that looks like a steam engine  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Steamed up all the time

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2020, 01:56:35 am »

Thanks for you kind comments. I haven't got as far as I would have liked as I am a delivery driver, so have been working longer hours since the lockdown started, and only been able to get an hour or two building here and there.
You certainly are a multi talented man Kim . I haven't got an artistic bone in my body . I do own an airbrush but it only gets used now and then on the smaller bits where a paint brush is not enough but a spray can is too much. I would be interested in seeing the busts when they are finished.
Chris

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2020, 03:38:19 pm »

Only managed a few hours on the boat in the last few days.
Firstly 5 of the most important pieces of equipment on the boat were made.

The mug holders. :}

And finally the coxswains control panel was finished (mug holder top right).

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2020, 10:15:06 pm »

The fit out of the cabin interior has continued over the past few days.
The torches and flares were made.

The first 2 sets of seats and foot locker were fixed in place. The hot water boiler and mugs were added as well as the flares, torches and hand held radio which were made earlier. Lastly the first bit of ' wood ' was added complete with the crews coffee mugs and holders.

A couple more smaller items, the breaker board and the fire extinguishers, have been made the extinguishers just require decals adding.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2020, 11:05:14 pm »

Chris,
Really good......and I think the penultimate photo of the interior shows what a wonderful build this is. Your attention to detail does show your artistic side too!!  :-))

Kim [C.C.]

alan44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2020, 10:17:47 am »

Wonderful model building, simply superb.  :-)) :-))

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2020, 01:04:33 am »

A bit more work has been done on the interior. The navigators bench/table has had its foot rest/handrail added and been painted. From what I can see on the full size boat the table is made of wood with a black protective cover on it.

The 'woodwork' has been made and painted.

And fitted to the cabin walls.

The last picture shows the circuit breaker board fitted under the bench/table.

MOXCY

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2020, 03:12:26 pm »

This looks lovely can’t wait to see it fully built

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2020, 03:17:49 pm »

Thanks MOXCY.
Work on detailing the cabin interior has been put on hold for a while whilst I wait for some bits and pieces to arrive in the post. Meanwhile I have been working on the the hull / deck.
Firstly the emergency aerial and it base were made.

The holders for both boat hooks were made from plasticard.

Then the 'frame' which holds the horn, loudspeaker etc was made from brass, which gave me a chance to practice my silver soldering skills'.

The horn is white metal and was fixed to it's bracket.

The next pictures show all the components it situ.

And the final picture shows that when the horn is slid forward on the frame the cabin section is 'unlocked' and can be removed.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2020, 01:19:19 pm »

And the final picture shows that when the horn is slid forward on the frame the cabin section is 'unlocked' and can be removed.[/b][/color]

Wonder where I've seen that idea before !! {-) {-) {-)

Nice job so far, keep it up.
Mike

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2020, 01:49:24 pm »

Imitation is the best form of flattery  :-))

Super work Chris  :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2020, 03:18:08 pm »

Hi Mike
Yes sorry for stealing your idea I couldn't work out how to do it any other way  :embarrassed:
Thanks for yours and Andy's comments though.
Chris

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2020, 09:39:14 pm »

Hi Mike
Yes sorry for stealing your idea I couldn't work out how to do it any other way  :embarrassed:
Thanks for yours and Andy's comments though.
Chris
That's not stealing ideas Chris, I put ideas out there to help other people solve the same problem I have had.
You just keep building as you are, you're doing better than I did.  :-)) :-)) :-))
Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2020, 01:16:02 am »

Thanks Mike.
The bases for the 'kick' boards that hold the stanchions have been made and glued to the deck. The gaps are where either the fairleads or the strap release mechanisms go.

The first lot of 'kick' boards have also been made. These are made by laminating 3 strips of plasticard together with 1mm diameter brass pins in various places. The deck will be drilled to accept the pins and the board's will be glued in place. I am taking the belt and braces approach so that if the stanchions get knocked hopefully it won't break the board's off.

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2020, 12:34:57 am »

Hmm..

I'm enjoying reading your build and have just bit the bullet and started my own build. I've been doing a bit of checking, double checking etc between plans, our own station Mersey (12-29) and the hull and cabin moulds I have - bought from MBD a while back.

Just making and mock fitting the internal beams which necessitated a look at our own Mersey and the plans in terms of the sweep from Bow to stern and I didn't actually notice until now that there is a slight curve upward from midway on the hull to the stern. All H&S went out the 'windy' today at station to get a line look at it whilst on the carriage. It was an interesting discovery. Quite a number of things I didn't notice

In terms of the cabin, I see the knuckle which also has me in the same predicament. Do I also make it all from scratch or, do I try and discover a way of fabricating the knuckle into the current fibreglass mould. Is that going to be an easy thing to do? Do I grind out a channel on both sides to allow a bit of flex in the fibreglass to get it to the angle I need then reinforce or cut the section out and refabricate the angle then fibreglass it back up again.

Interesting decisions ahead :o

Declan

Hi Kim
Thanks for the information. I find out the hard way there was a 'knuckle'  when I cut the rear cabin wall for the 'first time' I made it parallel and when I checked the measurements against the drawings I realised it was too wide at the roof level. On checking the sectional drawings I found the 'knuckle' so the rear wall was remade. I would be very interested in the DVD could you please pm me with details on how to pay etc.
Chris

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2020, 01:25:07 pm »

Hmm..

I'm enjoying reading your build and have just bit the bullet and started my own build. I've been doing a bit of checking, double checking etc between plans, our own station Mersey (12-29) and the hull and cabin moulds I have - bought from MBD a while back.

Just making and mock fitting the internal beams which necessitated a look at our own Mersey and the plans in terms of the sweep from Bow to stern and I didn't actually notice until now that there is a slight curve upward from midway on the hull to the stern. All H&S went out the 'windy' today at station to get a line look at it whilst on the carriage. It was an interesting discovery. Quite a number of things I didn't notice

In terms of the cabin, I see the knuckle which also has me in the same predicament. Do I also make it all from scratch or, do I try and discover a way of fabricating the knuckle into the current fibreglass mould. Is that going to be an easy thing to do? Do I grind out a channel on both sides to allow a bit of flex in the fibreglass to get it to the angle I need then reinforce or cut the section out and refabricate the angle then fibreglass it back up again.

Interesting decisions ahead :o

Declan
Now you know why I didn't use the grp cabin mouldings on all my Mersey builds Declan !!
Mike Pendlebury
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2020, 10:22:03 pm »

{-) {-)

Interesting times ahead but with a new shed, at least I don’t have to pack everything up at end of shift  :embarrassed:

Declan

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2020, 03:55:48 pm »

Its been a while since I've posted any progress but work and home have got in the way a bit recently. The first of the kick boards have been fitted.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.