Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1278 times)

simple

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New to the forum
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:48:15 am »

Hello, My name is Simon and I am flabbergasted by the amount of information available. The reason for me to join this forum might sound familiar to some of you.
I was in the Army serving my National service in Holland (I am Dutch and live in UK) in 1978. To keep myself busy in the evenings I bought a model boat kit and joined the modellers group in the barracks. The kit was the Smit Rotterdam from Billings. Whilst in the service I laid the keel on a homemade jig and got as far as a bit of planking. When leaving the Army the boat was packed in a special made box still in the jig. I have since moved from Holland to Borneo (Brunei), back to Holland, Aberdeen (3 House moves), England (3 housemoves), Oman, back to England and the boat went everywhere with me. Now 2 house moves later I have finally decided to continue with the build. At one stage in Aberdeen I had done some more work, planking etc. this must have been in 1992.
Being a bit older and wiser I thought to better look for some information and that is how I found this forum. Now , my problem is that I looked at the pictures and the level of building excellence on here, I feel intimidated and am afraid that my efforts would be so below par it would be embarrassing to show up at any club. Are all the models at clubs to this high standard and fully working with lights and working fire hydrants, sounds and smoke?? For me I would be happy if the thing floats and goes relatively in the direction I want it to go.
Anyway that is my story and probably have loads of questions when I start building again.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:28 am »

1. Hi Simon & Welcome to the Mayhem!   :-))

2. Don't worry about your 1st efforts, it's all an enjoyable learning curve.... ( Look at some of my efforts!  :embarrassed:  )

3. The best threads / topics on here are when something has gone wrong or don't know how's - everyone then chips in comments and suggestions as we want to be part of your build too!

4. The Only stupid questions, are questions that were not asked.

5.  The Forum is a happy friendly place.... with lots of individual opinions, all correct, so pick advice that suits you!   :-))

Martin - Admin

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:55:09 am »

Hi and welcome Simon
I am a recent modeller myself and I started the Rotterdam as my first build in Jan 2017.
Long before completing her I came across bigger scale tugs and was drawn to the bulk and power and actually towing. So alas Rotterdam has stood still since March 2017 but I have many pictures taken in the order I progressed that may be helpful to you. I'd say no most clubs have a few highly skilled builders but many just buy their hand me downs if they're not too gifted with their hands.

Happy modelling is the key just do your best without rushing.

LINK. https://techno.smugmug.com/Smitt-Rotterdam/

P.S. you will notice that the stern bulwark was upgraded to plank on frame on more recent kits than yours

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:47:42 am »

Don't worry about your lack of experience, everyone has to start somewhere. In my experience, over 20 years  this time round, very few club members will adversely comment on anyone's efforts. We all know the problems and pitfalls that occur. Do not be afraid to display your work. Join your local club and you will see the diverse standards that exist. We can't all build museum standard or fully detailed models, but we enjoy the hobby just the same.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:45:14 pm »

just do your best, and if you are happy with it, it is fine.

simple

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »

Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. Andy (Taranis) thanks you for the photo's that is very detailed and will be a great help!

Simon

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 04:43:38 pm »

I still have the model stored and can remember quite a bit from the build so if you have any questions I'll try help  O0
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.