Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New build from kit  (Read 2528 times)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
New build from kit
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:08:45 am »

I've built a few boats from scratch using what I think is the traditional method of leaving tabs on the bulkhead frames in order to be able to secure the structure to the building board.
I have however now bought a kit (aerokits) and I find the bulkheads do not have tabs on them.
Do you think I should remake the bulkheads and include tabs here?
I can't quite see how I can secure the hull to the board otherwise......
Nordlys.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: New build from kit
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 11:38:47 am »

Only a relatively few kits are built in that way - mainly the plank-on-frame type. Some can be built flat down on a building board while others are "self-jigging" in that the parts will only fit together in the right way. There should be adequate instructions to show you how to go about building the model. For example, I'm in the process of building a Vintage Model Boats Co 'Police Launch' and this is build up around a ply "box" structure, using tabs and slots to locate and hold the parts onto it before applying the gloop. Redesigning and/or remaking the bulkheads in any kit should be unnecessary (I exclude Dumas kits, but that's another story!).
DaveM

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:52:34 am »

Hi Nordlys

Bolt on some tabs to the frames so you can remove them later.

My Aerokits Sea Hornet (original plan) I added stringers in the middle of the hull on the bottom.

Canabus

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 12:00:30 pm »

Thanks, I agree it shouldn't be necessary to redesign the parts to get a finished model Dave,  maybe I'm over thinking this but it could be a bit tricky putting the hull skins on if the structure is floating about on the build board?

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 12:39:35 pm »

I too bolted some additional supports to the bulkheads, then fixed those to my build board (from the side so I could access the screws for removal- I added a spine rail down the centreline of the build board for this purpose)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 12:41:19 pm »

I thought that the Aerokits included a building jig into which the bulkheads fitted. The fireboat I built in the 1950's certainly did, and when I bought plans and templates a few years ago, the jig was include in the templates.

Barrie

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 12:44:06 pm »

I don't see the problem, m'duck. I've just done that very job on the Police Launch without using any board or jig. I just steamed the ply skin to approximately the right curve then hold it in place with plenty of spring-clamps while the glue dries. I've never had a twisted hull yet. On the other hand if you feel you really must hold it down then Harry's suggestion is as good as it gets.
Whatever floats yer boat!
DaveM

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 12:47:51 pm »

I may look at bolting on tabs Canabus, it's a good enough solution on the face of it. Thank you.
Grendel, I'm interested to read that you too came across this situation and your idea may be helpful here.
In reply to barrie, I do not have a building jig that you speak of in my kit? And I too am building the Fireboat.
N

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 12:55:45 pm »

I'm trying to visualise that method Grendel with the centre spine. Could you elaborate a little pls.
N

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 01:07:12 pm »

In reply to barrie, I do not have a building jig that you speak of in my kit? And I too am building the Fireboat.
N
It was two lengths of ply notched at the the appropriate spacing for the bulkheads, and two or three pieces of timber to act as spacers. The ply was screwed to the spacers to create the jig.I don't think I still have the instructions, but I'll have a look.

Correction - it was the Seaplane Tender I built. Attached is a photo of the jig I made when I used the Templates and plans to build it recently.

Barrie

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 01:38:34 pm »

Coincidence, I have recently completed this Seaplane Tender!  I have the larger 41inch version too.
N

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 01:50:37 pm »

And the 41 inch version completed this year. It took a year to build including downtime over winter.
N

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 08:34:19 pm »

I'm trying to visualise that method Grendel with the centre spine. Could you elaborate a little pls.
N
heres some pictures early in my build that show the principle

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 09:06:47 am »

Thanks for the photo Grendel. It looks a very substantial jig, I can't quite see but did you screw the frames to those upright pieces.?
N.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 12:26:08 pm »

yes a couple of small screws was enough to fix the bulkheads to the uprights, the uprights fix to the spine from the sides 9so you can still get to their screws to undo them once planks are on, so the model comes off the baseboard with the uprights and you can then get in and undo the screws that hold the uprights to the frames
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.