Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caldercraft 'Northlight' build  (Read 14339 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Caldercraft 'Northlight' build
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 08:12:18 pm »

Colin,

That looks better quality than mine - the ink used for the printing has 'bled' considerably.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 06:05:02 pm »

I have now finished the stern section, including deckhouse/wheel house, apart from a bit of white paint on railings etc. I plan to fit the electronics next before I make access to the hold more difficult with rigging etc.

Barrie

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 07:22:23 pm »

Looking very nice!
I built a Clyde Puffer model earlier this year, but it is much smaller (GRA Models 1/150 scale resin kit)! It's a waterline static model, originally designed for N-gauge model railways.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 02:33:59 pm »

It is recognizably the same vessel though. I note you painted the inside of the ventilator red - I couldn't decide if this was correct for a puffer or not, so at the moment mine is black.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2008, 02:24:05 pm »

Final update before I set off for France for 3+ weeks. I have covered the hatch. I didn't use the supplied material, but painted a cotton handkerchief with a suitable green paint. I am quite pleased with the result :).
The mast is in and some of the ironwork. The winch is not yet stuck down, and I need to fit all the remaining deck items next before I start on the rigging, which will restrict access to the deck.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 06:23:20 pm »

Well, its now finished. I suppose I should fit the ratlines, but I am not sure I can do that without spoiling things, so I am leaving that for a while. All the running lights lwork with individual flicker effect thanks to some 99p LED nightlights. They run off a 3.3volt voltage regulator and are switched with a circuit I built from PMKs instructions.

Next project is Lulonga - if I can find some suitable geared motors that I can afford {-)

Barrie

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 06:59:09 pm »

Lovely job  O0

No advice on ratlines though waiting to finish the rigging on my Cutty Sark started in 1975  :embarrassed:

Chers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

mickyrubble

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 11:08:51 pm »

O0
Hi Barriew
The best way to do the ratlines is to run the thinner (horizontal lines) though the verticals using a sewing needle.To cure the hairy fibers run the lines though bees wax (available from fishing tackle shops that sell fly tying gear). Cut each line about 10mm wider than the verticals and adjust the spacing as needed,place a dab of pva or cyno  on each  end .When dry,trim off the ends with nail clippers and paint each ratline with matt black to give it that tarred rope effect.Make sure that the deck is covered before you glue/paint the lines (i found out the hard way!).
You have done a really nice job,have you sailed her yet.
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 12:57:01 pm »

Hi Mickyrubble,

Thanks for the ratline tips, but I think I'm going to leave it without.

Yes its sailed once. Goes OK. For various reasons I've not been sailing much since I finished her, so she's only had the one outing - and then the Tx battery wasn't fully charged so didn't get long :(

Barrie

ianchimneysweep

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 11:11:57 pm »

I bought this model several years ago and only now have I taken it out of the loft with the intentions of starting to build it. this thread and forum have been a fantastic discovery as its been many years since I built any models and am sure I Will get help here when needed. The first thing I've noticed is my bulkheads are different in that mine have square notches cut into the bottom of them rather than being solid which I find odd. I purchased the electronic side of the model today and your pictures and advice will be a big help as I go along.
You've made a great job of building her I hope mine can be just as well built.

Cheers.

steamshed

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »

Hi Barrie
Just been reading your build of the puffer, has inspired me to make that my next build, can u tell me what motor is recommended geared or not
Thanks
Mike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:12 pm »

You've got to do the ratlines Barrie, they will finish it off and they don't take long.

I did mine the same as mickeyrubble but using the cyano and two different thicknesses of black rigging thread, 1mm and .50mm from Cornwall Model Boats. When they were finished coated them with acrylic varnish.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk%2findex.html&WD=thread%20rigging&PN=caldercraft_thread.html%23aC82025B#aC82025B

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

juskiddin

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2019, 07:10:41 pm »

About to start my build. The instructions supplied are no better a decade later!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 12:29:16 am »

All the best.... lots of photos!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.