Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale Help  (Read 1694 times)

coastie

• Full Mayhemer
Scale Help
« on: November 21, 2019, 12:52:06 pm »

Scanned a piccy from sailing trawlers by Edgar March.printed it to fit A4 re scanned it then printed it off to post size 16 A4`s joined togetherHull lines measure 29.5" long by 6.5" deep by 8" wide.How would i go about working the scale out for it  for hull and masts and yards.Would it be big enough to sail without sinking understand i`d need ballast and a false keelmore than likely be more questions when I can get my brain to work dam meds lol.Thanks Coastie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scale Help
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 01:22:01 pm »

There appears to be a scale of feet on the buttock lines profile. If you compare the length of a foot on that on your enlarged scan with an actual ruler and divide one into the other then that will give you your scale.

I am not an expert on sailing models but I am inclined to doubt that a hull that length would be able to carry the indicated sailplan in average pond conditions.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 06:16:54 pm »

Hello from what I can see of the dimensions on the drawing the LBP (length between Perpendiculars appears to be almost 60 feet and you are proposing 29.5 inches then the scale is 1 : 24 or half an inch to the foot.
I/2 inch to the foot scale models can be made to work but you will not be able to carry all that sail.  The sail would be a maximum anyway and would only be all there for light winds.
If you can get the displacement to 7 or 8 pounds with at least 40 % of that into the keel then it should  work.  Work out where the waterline is and start calculating!

It might be best to increase the depth of the keel by an inch.  No one will notice this and I won't say anything  Put the lead in cut up lead flashing strips as the bottom of the keel, failing that put in the centre of the hull as low as possible.

You have 2 initial problems First is having enough righting moment and Second is having enough keel in the water to stop the boat travelling sideways when the wind blows.

A last resort may be a plug in deep keel with a lead weight at the bottom.
You are welcome to ask questions.
regards
Roy

coastie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 08:13:53 pm »

Thanks Guys Wifes just worked it out before i came online . Lbp is 59` loa 64` beam 18`What size would you recommend hull (scale) for it to sail fully rigged. just bought a old copy of model boats mag with a article on master hand hulls 4` i believe.Thanks againCoastie

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 03:03:20 am »

ive seen the bottom of a keel with a length of lead attaches to instead of a keel weight hanging down. keep it light up top and weight as far down in the keel area as possible. A few years ago at warwick was a HMS Bounty done a pirate ship with NO KEEL attached, the gentleman had built it from plans and ensured the keel was lead filled with lead as low n the hull as possible from the outset, yes the boat was motorised, but it worked.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.