Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rigging  (Read 1285 times)

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
rigging
« on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:30 pm »

Hello All
I was given the Cutty Sark it is an Arkit it seems to be an older kit as I don't see that the manufacturer is still around has any one built this kit.
As noted on the plans they are not to scale so I have to judge where to place the built items as close to where they show on the plans I am almost finished the first part of the build and now I'm looking at how to finish the project.
There is minimal write up on how to build the ship nothing on how to rig the ship and where to start .
Any help should I do the fixed first or running first there are 7 sets of plans of witch 3 are for making the sails the other 4 are of views of ship masts and rigging but are not # as to where to start .
Rick     

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: rigging
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 02:33:18 pm »

Are you going for a full representation of the rigging?  That's a LOT of string! How big is your model?  The size will probably dictate how much of the rigging you can sensibly incorporate without it looking very messy or being physically impossible.  The rule of thumb seems to be start at the front and work back, and at each mast work from the bottom up.  There is lots of information on line - search Cutty Sark rigging - and if you want to see a masterclass in rigging a model clipper, try this page on the Model Ship World forum.  (I suggest you skip forward to about page 80 or 90 or so unless you want to see the hull being built, although that is worth a look as well.)  You may well feel, as I would, that a more sparse representation of the running rigging will suffice, and some would leave it out altogether and only do the standing rigging, but ultimately the amount of detail is up to you and the scale of your model.

Above all, have fun doing it!

Greg 

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »

Thanks Greg
The model size is 1/78 and your right that it is a lot of string I'm not sure on how much I will rig the ship as of yet as I will likely decide after I start to see the rigging .
Thank you for the reply I will look at the post
Rick

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 05:48:57 pm »

If you want an overview, there's a National Maritime Museum video here https://www.rmg.co.uk/see-do/we-recommend/attractions/get-grips-cutty-sarks-mast-and-rigging
There's also a rigging plan for sale from them on https://shop.rmg.co.uk/products/cutty-sark-rigging-plan-50-x-70cmIt costs £8.00 so could be worth it.I'd also suggest looking at various methods of making a template frame for the shrouds and ratlines. Certainly reduces the stress level %)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 07:20:38 pm »

Sorry, the plans come under https://shop.rmg.co.uk/collections/cutty-sark-gifts. and they also do general arrangement drawings etc.

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 09:51:53 pm »

Thank you Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.