Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peacock Class patrol boats  (Read 1848 times)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
Peacock Class patrol boats
« on: December 10, 2019, 04:39:52 pm »

Hi again,
Following on from my request about Minelayer pennant numbers I have another question:
 Did the Peacock class of Hong Kong patrol boats have the white outline to their hull numbers?
I am struggling to find decent photographs of them that might show this feature, the expertise of members on this forum is invaluable when searching for this type of information, thanks in advance   17-09 Alan.....

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Peacock Class patrol boats
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 05:00:31 pm »

Yes they did

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 01:47:55 pm »

Hi gingyer,
 Thank you for the information, much appreciated. Do you know when RN warships started to use a white outline to their pennant numbers?
 Kind regards   17-09  Alan

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 02:03:06 pm »

I think it started in the 1950s but not sure exactly

RST

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 08:17:47 pm »

I am struggling to find decent photographs of them that might show this feature,
No offence, but if I put peacock class vessels into google and select images it's quite surprisingly overwhelming.  Allot of pics even blury ones show black with white border.  Most of them are 3/4 shots off the bow.  I am intrigued as to the ones with 2 digit white nubers a bit more interesting though.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 09:13:28 pm »

I am intrigued as to the ones with 2 digit white nubers a bit more interesting though.

thats the Pilipino ones, they have been upgraded with a 25mm bushmaster on the back and 2 20mm oerlikons fitted.
much more of an impact than when we had them  :-))

RST

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 09:53:26 pm »

.....thought the white letters signified far East but was playing dumb.

Anyhow, I perused literally dozens and dozens of pics of the boats off this thread, I thought Google was unusually kind so far! It was nice to find them tbh

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 08:49:10 pm »

Hi RST,
No offence taken, I should have checked Google more closely however initially most of the photos I found were of the Pilipino navy vessels and the ones transferred to the Irish navy, the pennant numbers on these vessels are entirely different from RN pennants. After further research I did find several pictures that do show the white outlined numbers on the RN Hong Kong vessels, some early pictures were not clear enough to see the outline but thanks to Gingyer, who confirmed they did have the feature, I now know this to be correct. This forum is a very useful tool for researching details about all sorts of things, there might well be information out there which is readily available but having experts out there ready to help and to point a researcher in the right direction is much appreciated.
Kind regards   17-09  Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.