Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing my Bulk Inventory of screws, nuts and washers  (Read 2489 times)

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
  • Best Hobby in the World!
Organizing my Bulk Inventory of screws, nuts and washers
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:09:17 pm »

Hi my friends. I have had to cope with new health problems, a fifth stroke, diabetes and no also rheumatism that kept me from focusing on a subject. But, as always, I do not give up and do as if I will live forever!

This time my question results from my need to find an efficient way to organize my bulk inventory of screws, nuts and washers and for screws to know which bit has to be used. My goal is to organize the pictures of all kind of screws I have found in the Internet and to link to each image text in the 3 languages I deal with in forums. As a result obviously i want to make this available to forum members the same way i report all my activities in threads. Here a sample:

German: ISO 7380-2 Flachrundkopfschrauben Innensechskant brida Vollgewinde Edelstahl A2 Bit: H7
Spanish: ISO 7380-2 "?" Allen Rosca Completa Acero Inoxidable A2 Bit: H7
English: ?

Here a view of my first set of glas storage:

Here a picture of the surface of my so-called old workbench:

As you might imagine, the task of organizing all those parts is a nightmare for me. But as I have to do the job to place image and text for each type of part on an Avery label.
Best regards Hellmut

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: Organizing my Bulk Inventory of screws, nuts and washers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 01:28:53 pm »

Hellmut, I've thrown out forty of those drawers racks and I don't miss them.
How about bagging and stapling screws to cardboard sheet and then adapt the cardboard backing?
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 03:45:48 pm »

HEXAGON SOCKET BUTTON HEAD SCREW WITH FLANGE ISO 7380-2 STEEL ZINC PLATED 010.9 M5X8

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 03:46:28 pm »

do the search on the iso number and you should get the result in english though i just picked the first result with a description, are yours stainless steel?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 04:49:58 pm »

Inoxidable A2 in English is A2 Stainless

Two links might be of use:-
https://www.google.com/search?q=a2+a4+stainless
https://www.toolstation.com/screws-fixings/screws/c728

Perhaps bag them, label them and hang from a rail by 16 gauge solid wire hooks

< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 05:57:45 pm »

Thx for the many replies! I`ll take them into account! But what I apparently was unable to communicate is that I am looking for a software tool where I can store images and the text so that when I print a label I do have the image and I can choose between those 3 languages. The goal is to make efficient the generation of the labels. So instead of taking from the sources you presented for the proper text and a site where I have all the images from y single source, the one I took the sample image from, both data would be available from that tool. So I populate it once and can use it multiple times! Remember, screws might be of a single type but be of different diameters, which often implies a certain size of a bit, different length and different materials. Imagine for each label for a slightly different dimension I wouöld have to go to all those pülaces in the Internet to take the data from!
Best regards Hellmut

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »

Unless you can find a digital catalog, to cut and paste data from, you would need to create each label manually.
I am not sure you need separate images for every variation. For example, you could use the same image for a flat nut of m2, m4, m6, etc. The key information would come from the written description.
Even with screws of the same head type, the same image could be used whatever the length. If you showed me a picture of and M4 20mm, and an M6 30mm, I would be unable to guess the size of either.  I would rely on the text description.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 11:45:04 pm »

You are right with what you write and that is my plan. Unfortunately there are still a huge number of parts that require different images. Also to specify the type of Bit ads to the workload. You probably share my experience that frequently the use of the not proper bit leads to killing the screw and after some time even bits gets worn out, specially fast if the bit and the screw head do not match.
Best regards Hellmut

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 02:44:40 am »

For recognition purposes, the text is probably easier to read than a small image.
With reference to driver bit types, it might be easier to have, for example, all of the cross head screws in one set of storage drawers, and all of your Philips head screws in another, etc.

Your hierarchy of sorting could be, Driver type (Phillips, crosshead, etc)/ Material / Head type (countersunk, flat head, cheese head,etc.)/ Diameters/ lengths/etc.

Just some thoughts.

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 08:12:33 am »

Thx once more for your reply. Sadly my experience says another think! Where i have used images and text combined using an Avery 3669 form I never have to search, assuming I always do the things back to where they belong!

Also your tips for how to organize are valid inputs but does not address what I am looking for. I was asking if anybody had a suggestion of a software tool where I link images and text data multilingua.

Right now I have setup a folder on my hd where I store the images and in the description i place the text for each language.

Here you can see the labels I am using, Avery 3669 and both an image and text.
Best regards Hellmut

simple

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 09:43:38 am »

Hellmut, I doubt if specific software for this application is available. I would suggest you use a relative simple picture editing software like Adobe Lightroom. This will store all your pictures, you can add text to the picture and you can print the pictures on sheets as contact print (loads of small pics on one sheet). The size of the individual pictures can be customised to fit the Avery 3669 size.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 12:33:28 pm »

would it be possible to set it up as a mailing list in excel with both the image and text stored in adjacent spreadsheet columns then printed to the labels as you would a spreadsheet mailing list

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 12:45:10 pm »

@simple: I share your believe that a specific software for this purpose does not exist! But as we naval modelers are, creative thinking applied may help and this is the reason I placed the question.

The reason for my thinking in this direction is geared towards an efficient way to do the job. The reason for the support of those 3 languages is not for having 3 languages in my workshop, but to reuse the effort for an efficient way to communicate to the audience in naval modeling forums at which I do participate as a member like I am here!

@grendel: That is the path along which my thinking goes. Also Access could be a way to do it, but requires sone programing to link to images via a path to them and not to have them be part of the Access program I am also considering the use of a "Terminology Management Tool" as part of SDL Trados software I do own a license.
Best regards Hellmut

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 04:09:17 pm »

Very few people use MS Access, I know people who have tried, but failed, to adopt MS Access as a business too.
I do however know lots of people who know how to use spreadsheets and MS Word. I think if you used mailing lists set up in spread sheets or word docs, them more people would be able to benefit from your work.
There are also several office type suites available for Linux users, and these can open MS Office files. Opening up the possibility for using Word or Excel documents, but I am not sure if they can convert mailing lists. If they can, then that would make it possible for Linux users to benefit from your work.

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 07:28:15 pm »

Thx tigertiger:

Here a picture of my workbench where I am working to organize stuff so far only available as bulk:

Next I show how I plan to label the glasses with stuff inside:

As you can see I will have to clean my printer to eliminate those error! But as you see, the picture shows the type f screw in the Glass. It is for use in wood and requires a PZ 1 bit. As I am organizing in parallel to have all my bits organized and labeled in a drawer. So deciding which screw to use based on the specific job and seeing a picture of the screw I also can choose the proper bit! Typical german: Why do it simple if you can make it complicated!
Best regards Hellmut

Hellmut1956

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 09:28:10 pm »

Dear friends. By now I have decided to use the software from Avery and learned a reasonable way to make those labels.

I am contacting you with a question that results from my work to get my workshop organized. I have a huge amount of screws and other stuff and I am working on placing each type of screw into its own glass:

A first version of the label design I am going to use for the purpose of identifying the type of screw and the type of bit. So here it is a countersunk screw 3x16 mm size and the thread is for use with wood. The proper bit is PZ 1. Here it was simple as the screws were still in the box from the DIY shop. To identify if a screw has a Phillips head or a pozidriv is simple by looking onto its head:

This is a pozidriv screw head.

Here comes my problem:

When I take a screw I can identify if it has a PH or PZ screw head, but not the right sized bit f the proper kind. The result is that often my screws and my bit used gets damaged. By writing the Bit type and size on the label f each glass I can be sure to have identified the right bit for it. By the way I am also organizing to have my bits stored in a way that I can easily and immediately take the right bit.

I have searched in the internet for information about how to identify the size of the bit type required and have had no success. May be one of you knows where I can get this information. I guess it will relate the physical dimension of the screw head plug.
Best regards Hellmut
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.