Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mode 1 and 2  (Read 2294 times)

Northseawarrior

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mode 1 and 2
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:20:45 pm »

Hi I'm new to the new 2.4 transmitters and am a bit puzzled, can anyone explain the difference between mode 1 and 2 please.
Also any recommendations for make and model that isn't ridiculous money it'll only ever be used on boats.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mode 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:32:14 pm »

Have a look at this topic:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=32911.

Lots of radios available at all price levels depending on how many functions you want and your budget.

This is a typical budget multi channel set:

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/microzone-mc6a-transmitter-and-receiver-package-mode-2/

Colin

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 11:16:33 pm »

consider aircraft, most transmitters and receivers have the channels named for them

mode 1 has throttle on right (up/down)

mode 2 is throttle on left (up/down), generally the UK set up.

Some transmitters can be set whichever way you want. When buying one, ensure the throttle stick is sprung centred, so you have the function of reverse. Planes and helicopters wont have this, (obviously don't go in reverse) so you will have to do a conversion to achieve this.

Flysky and hobbyking have good budget sets, most will have 6 channel receivers, you will ned at least two, throttle and rudder, anything extra you intend to do, such as lights, sound and so on will need more channels

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:06:58 am »

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:51:56 am »

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/microzone-mc6a-transmitter-and-receiver-package-mode-2/

Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers, Terry.
The receiver without an external antenna might give rise to problems in a boat - mounting the entire receiver high enough above waterline might be a problem in some cases.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 12:18:22 pm »

mode 1 has throttle on right (up/down)

mode 2 is throttle on left (up/down), generally the UK set up.

Whether Mode 1 or Mode 2 is the normal setup depends on where you are in the UK. Some areas in England use Mode 1 while others use Mode 2.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 12:22:17 pm »

The receiver without an external antenna might give rise to problems in a boat - mounting the entire receiver high enough above waterline might be a problem in some cases.
From the ad there are receivers with external aerials available. It does look as though the throttle stick is not spring loaded.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 12:37:29 pm »

Whether Mode 1 or Mode 2 is the normal setup depends on where you are in the UK. Some areas in England use Mode 1 while others use Mode 2.
Jim
I'm not convinced that it's regional, Jim. Mode 2 seems to be favoured by folk who started with a basic twin-stick 2 channel set, while Mode 1 is more often used by those who flew - or still fly  - model aircraft with that stick mode. There is, of course, nothing "wrong" with either.
As regards a suitable radio for a model boat, I've recently bought a Planet 2+2 for the model I'm building for my grandson. It's one of the better-quality brands from ROC, and has the usual throttle and steering sticks plus two extra channels. These are operated respectively with a rotary knob and a 3-position switch, making it very suitable for additional functions such as lights, a sound card, working davits or doors etc. Howes currently have these on offer at less than forty quid.  https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/planet-ts22-2-4ghz-2-channel-stick-transmitter-with-2-aux-channels-with-6-channel-rx/
DaveM

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 01:32:45 pm »

No Idea what mode it is but I always put the Motor on the stick with the spring..  %% %%

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 01:45:18 pm »

It's not regional :}
I doubt suppliers would sent different transmitters depending on where you live!
Take a look next time at the lake or certainly on a flying field, most if not all would have mode 2 throttle on left

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 03:00:06 pm »

If the set is supplied with a ratchet on the stick it is usually (but not always) possible to get a spring conversion kit.

I bought a Saturn 4ch set from Howes not so long ago which came with a ratchet. A spring conversion kit was supposed to be available but it proved impossible to get hold of one. I managed with the ratchet for a while but eventually swapped it over with one of the spring attachments on an unused channel along with several expletives along the way as it was a fiddly job but quite doable. The parts are interchangeable.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 03:00:34 pm »

Which mode is common used to depend on your local model flying club. Those interested in taking up model flying generally went to the flying field to see what was going on before they purchased anything and inevitably were influenced by what they saw and even more by whom they wanted to teach them. The local model shop stocked what the local model aero club flew. I have never been happy teaching anyone to fly who wasn't on the same mode as me. Most boats were 2 channel or 2nd hand local model flying club.

It always seemed more sensible, to me at least, to split elevator & aileron onto the two sticks which mode 1 offered but mode 2 did not.

The internet, ready to fly models and games consoles have changed that.

I agree that mode 2 is now much more common. I fly/boat mode 1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.