Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEC police Boat Build  (Read 13615 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
SLEC police Boat Build
« on: December 10, 2019, 10:17:00 pm »

I have been asked by another club member to post my build of the SLEC River Police Launch. This is not my forte so please bear with me. 

The kit come in a strong plastic bag with two instruction booklets. One contains pictures of the build sequence and the other written instructions related to each picture. There is also a half scale drawing of the model showing the placement of the fittings and a suggested wiring diagram for the electrics.

The kit itself consists of several sheets of plywood with the pieces routed out or laser cut. There is also a laser cut plastic sheet for the window glazing.

There is a fittings kit available to augment the model.
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: SLEC police Boat Build
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:33:41 pm »

I started the build a few days ago so I have no photos of the first stages.

The hull is built around a central box. The base and sides have routed tabs and matching indents which ensure correct placement. I found that the indents were marginally smaller than required, so the fit was not quite perfect. However, the sides and ends matched perfectly.

A two piece keel is fitted to the box bottom, leaving space for the prop tube. The tabs had to be fettled slightly to fit the corresponding slots. Strengthening pieces are fitted either side of the prop tube space.
Don't Assume Check

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 10:39:57 pm »

Watching with interest thank you  :-))
Out of interest what adhesive are you using? sorry if I missed it.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:58:22 pm »

I'm currently building one of these  for my youngest grandson. It's at the painting stage but with these temperatures it might be a while before it's done. All gone together very well so far, with no major niggles and only a few very minor ones.
DaveM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:57:32 am »

Taranis, I'm using superglue as suggested in the instructions. It certainly speeds up construction as long as you don't glue yourself to the wood . {-)

Where the doubling up of pieces is required, such as the support around the prop tube, I played safe with thick glue and clamps.

Dave, yes the niggles are only minor but given the nature of the construction I did not expect to do so much fettling, However, I'm still enjoying the build.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 07:15:35 pm »

Just bought myself one of these for my xmas prezzie from SHMBO,  :-)) watching with great interest.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 08:52:28 pm »

I'm happy with superglue  :-))  just wondered.
My lobster boat was all slow set thick CA
ANDY

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 09:32:49 pm »

The hull frame pieces fit around the box into pre-cut slots in the sides and bottom. I found I had to sand the tabs slightly to allow an easy fit into the slots. Fortunately, as I’m working in the house, the sanding didn’t generate too much dust. I took the precaution of numbering all the frame pieces before cutting them from the main sheet as they are all similarly shaped. The front and rear frame pieces have to be aligned with the ends of the box as the have no corresponding slots. Using super glue meant that once aligned there was no time for them to shift as the glue set.

The bow pieces were fitted next. The main frame slots on to the keel and is supported by a deck level piece slotted into the top and the front end of the box. The cut outs on the top piece did not match the distance between the front of the box and the main frame. I adjusted them as I thought was required but cut the wrong end; hence the filler piece between the top piece and the bow stem. Doh!  {:-{ <:( The curved pieces slot into the main frame and abut the keel.

Don't Assume Check

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 06:24:32 pm »

Hi Doug it's John V all looking very nice .And well done .cheers John

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 08:01:28 pm »

Here's mine, as of last week. Since then I've fitted the roof and windows, foredeck gunwales and rubbing strips. I've now started varnishing the wooden deck and cockpit floor.
DaveM

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 08:35:06 pm »

Looks really good, mine was delivered today, just have to wait for xmas now :((

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 08:19:03 pm »

The stern plate is fixed to two cutouts for standard and mini servos, extensions to the box sides and keel doublers. I found it quite tricky to get everything aligned and had to fettle several pieces to fit. The next stage is to drill out the access for the prop tube and rudder.
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 05:15:42 pm »

I found drilling out the access for the prop tube quite tricky. I don’t have long drill bits and getting the correct angle using a brace inside the hull box was difficult. I had to do quite a bit of filing with a round file to obtain the required clearance for the prop tube. If I was to do it again, I would mark the keel doublers and cut the required channel before fitting.

I glued and clamped the skin support rails with wood glue and let them set overnight.
Don't Assume Check

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 07:18:13 pm »

I agree with Dougal, save that I bought an 8mm dia tube and only afterwards realised that the model is designed for a 6mm one. Fortunately I have a very rough 8mm rat-tail file which helped do the job, although it was still a monumental PITA.

PPPPPP?

My model is now about 1/3 the way through painting. Zero degrees in the workshop doesn't help with this.

DaveM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »

I had to do a little bit of fettling to get the skin support rails to fit. There are different rails for top and bottom of the hull. The instructions mix these up between the written set and the  pictures. Fortunately they are of different lengths and dry fitting quickly identifies the correct orientation. I found I had to clamp them to the frames, where there was no corresponding slot, to make them lie correctly.

The top rail has to shaped to meet the stem piece. I found that left to lie naturally the rail was just above the top of the stem piece so it would have to be clamped in place. As this would mean that it would only be held glued edge on to the stem,  I added a piece of square timber to the side of the stem in order to increase the surface area to be glued.

The transom formers were then glued to the stern frame. The hull now needs to be sanded so all parts melded smoothly. This will have to be done in the workshop when the temperature rises, hopefully soon.

Don't Assume Check

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 06:01:20 pm »

Looks like a good kit, and you're off to a good start

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 10:10:17 am »

Hi Doug it's John v I can see you are doing a grand job .I think you are going to beat Mick .have a good Christmas and a happy new years cheers John

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 03:24:20 pm »

A couple of hours of sanding gave me nicely a melded hull. I found getting the skin supports between the frames to the correct angle and level with the frames the most time consuming aspect.

The bottom skin required a small amount of sanding at the keel side of the bow to sit snug against the keel. I decided to use weatherproof wood glue to attach the bottom skins as this allowed plenty of time to ensure an accurate fit before the glue went off. This required plenty of clamps. I glued the aft section first and, when set, I glued the skin at the bow. This was to ensure the skin didn’t flex away from the keel side skin suppoerts when the bow curve was introduced.

As the glue required 24 hrs to fully cure I filled the time by building the motor cover and the stand.
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 11:41:36 am »

The first two photos show the clamping around the bow. The skins were flexible enough to just clamp with no steaming required, However, as previously said, I glued the bow after the glue for the rear two thirds had fully cured.

The last photo is of the hull after the skins had been sanded back to the hull sides. The side skins are next but will have to wait until after the Christmas break.
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 02:04:02 pm »

After the mince pie overload and announcement of another grandchild on the way, I’ve got back to work.

The side skins have been added. The bow was particularly problematic. I steamed the skins and left them overnight clamped, but not glued, to the hull. With hindsight it would probably have been best to glue them whilst still flexible from the steaming. However, I glued the skins from the stern two thirds of the way along. Left them to set really hard, then did each side of the bow separately. Not my favourite job. With a lot of clamps and some expletives I achieved the task.

Now to sand them back to the hull.
Don't Assume Check

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 05:16:03 pm »

After the mince pie overload and announcement of another grandchild on the way,

Yaaay!    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 05:56:50 pm »

After the mince pie overload and announcement of another grandchild on the way, I’ve got back to work.
Congrats to that  :-))
I'll newer have that experience  <:(
BTW great build and nice kit, unfortunately the shipping cost to DK is a bit over the moon.

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 06:59:50 pm »

Having just spent a day in the company of Impossibell and Decibell - the Gruesome Twosome - I can tell you that grandchildren are vastly over-rated. I have seven, ranging in age from 31 down to 6 - and those two are half-brothers!
My Police Launch has been painted and I'm currently fitting the radio and motor. Pictures soon.
DaveM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 09:49:26 pm »

Dave

been there done that got the t-shirt. There are 16 years between my eldest and youngest children. The new grandchild (number 6) will be 20 years younger than the oldest. Fortunately my son lives 2 hours away so we wont be constant baby sitters  :-))

Looking forward to your pictures. I might crib something.  ;D What colour scheme have you used?
Don't Assume Check

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 09:57:39 pm »

Lovely build. I guess at almost 62 me and the wife are quite rare in having no grand kids. Our offspring are all professionals with no time for kids or the financial damages.

I too look forwards to m'duck's photos  O0
ANDY
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 22 queries.