Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEC police Boat Build  (Read 13609 times)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: SLEC police Boat Build
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 08:56:17 am »

What colour scheme have you used?
Nothing original - I just copied the one from the photo on the front of the instructions, using Halfords rattle-cans over epoxy and glass cloth. Looks OK.
Dave M

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 03:29:22 pm »

Another hour or so of sanding gave me a hull with smooth side skins trimmed to the bottom skins and the deck level. Next I added the transom and the bow block. Unfortunately, the provided block was a couple of millimetres too narrow for the hull, probably due to my (lack of) building skills. Fortunately, I had a suitable sized block that I had bought, with others, from a bargain bucket at Wings and Wheels a year or so ago. I knew they would be useful one day! Then another bout of sanding the transom and carving of the bow block gave me a basic boat hull.
Don't Assume Check

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2020, 07:51:45 pm »

Hi. Doug it's John v keeping a eye on you. I can see you are doing a grand job cheers. John v

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 04:18:03 pm »

At this stage the instructions tell one to fit the deck. However, as this has the planking laser cut into it, I decided to leave this until later so as to avoid the risk of marking it. I added the keel doublers and sanded them to match the original keel piece. I also added the stem piece which was blended into the hull with a little filler. The hull is now ready for adding glassfibre tissue and resin. I’m hoping the weather will warm up soon for this job.

Whilst the filler hardened I started on the cabin structure. The photos show clearly some burn marks on the surface from the laser cutter. I think I should have sanded these away before assembly. Heh ho!
Don't Assume Check

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 03:48:14 pm »

I just have to let the glue holding the front hatch and rails dry then I can fit the for'd cleats and it's finished. I'd like to add some windscreen wipers but I have no idea what sort were fitted to these launches. Were they the type which are pivoted at the top and swing in an arc, or those which traverse along an enclosed track along the top of the window and stay vertical as they move across the screen? Or they may even be 'Kent' rotating ones.....
Does anyone have any photos?
DaveM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 04:43:22 pm »

Not good photos. One is of s model which shows the rotating type on the port windscreen. The other of a real boat which is a very similar design shows a vertical wiper on the port windscreen. So either my well be correct.
Don't Assume Check

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 05:24:39 pm »

Many thanks, Dougal. I've finished the model up as far as this but cramming the battery and ESC under the engine cover - neatly -  is going to be a bit of a head-scratcher. At the moment it reminds me of nothing else but wiring a double socket into a ring circuit and then trying to get the damn thing back into the wall box! Incidentally I fitted the CAP Maquette liferings because I didn't like the 3D-printed large one in the kit. Other than that it's a really nice little boat and an enjoyable build.

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 05:48:51 pm »

Really really nice looking boat, hope mine turns out o.k, P.S. where did you source the  POLICE lettering?

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2020, 06:10:49 pm »

Really really nice looking boat, hope mine turns out o.k, P.S. where did you source the  POLICE lettering?
Somewhere on E-Bay. I could look up the link but there's dozens of sellers of the same stuff on there. The letters are 1" (25mm) high - O, and thanks for the kind remarks!
DaveM

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2020, 05:05:18 pm »

Head duly scratched and the solution found.
It's still a tight squeeze but the ESC has been stuck down on its edge to the deck with a hot-glue gun and the battery pack mounted between two locating rails, using self-adhesive Velcro. I chopped the power leads from the ESC down before I soldered on the Deans connector so that I didn't have lots of thick-ish cable to pack away in there. The various cables are strapped to the 2S 2200maH LiPo battery pack with an old-fashioned rubber band. That's a Turnigy 28mm outrunner brushless motor with an SHG flexible coupling and the whole power train runs like a sewing machine. The new Planet TS2+2 is a very neat little radio and exceptional value with its extra 2 functions. The weather looks horrible for the next available sailing day on Wedneday but it might be OK at the weekend.

DaveM

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2020, 11:47:09 am »

I've just got back from Papplewick after trying the model out for the first time. With the motor/battery pack set-up described and a S35 2-blade prop it runs beautifully. The speed is very scale-like i.e. just quick enough on full-throttle to look purposeful but not planing. The turns are equal in each direction; the "sit" in the water is just right and it tracks dead straight. I did find a little water in the rear compartment which can only have come in either throught the hatch or the rudder tube - not a difficult thing to fix.
All in all a very nice little model from an excellent kit. Young James should be well pleased with his prezzie!
DaveM

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2020, 03:11:37 pm »

Hi Dave - do you know if the model is based on the Veron kit - construction looks familiar.   

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:20 pm »

Hi Dave - do you know if the model is based on the Veron kit - construction looks familiar.   
I've found an image of Phil Smith's original plans whch also show the construction, and it looks pretty near identical. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNSF-DeoB6WGuHzSne7TsgoX7BOvtw:1579101201041&q=veron+police+launch+plans&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjB6Zux8oXnAhWDY8AKHbSxDBkQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1536&bih=711#imgdii=fbtZhwfpOBsazM:&imgrc=ZsK6DJ9mwLeCHM:
DaveM

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 05:47:03 pm »

Thanks Dave - that more or less confirms it . Phil Smith used the same method of construction on his RTTL version .  Was lucky enough to meet him when living in UK - not far from where we lived in Southbourne. Still spry and active at 93 then - one of the worlds gentlemen - sadly passed away not long after I left UK. Was able to pass on his Fishing Boat part plan (Solid Balsa hull like the Titan Tug) as he had lost his copy - and purchased quite a few Veron plans in turn.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 07:21:21 pm »

I met Phil while he was still with Model Aircraft (Bournemouth) Ltd aka Veron. That would be around 1973/4. He'd asked True-Line to quote for making foam wings for his Super Robot kit, so Alf Baldwin and I went down there with some samples. His own office was truly TINY and had a huge drawing board which occupied most of the space in it. As you say, a real gentleman and a one-off when it came to designing and documenting model kits. Perhaps only Vic Smeed came close. How many modellers get an obit in a national newspaper? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/7804209/Phil-Smith.html

Dave M

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 07:29:47 pm »

Meant to say nice build Dave - one very lucky grandson . Doug yours is coming along nicely - sure it will look good too. One of the pleasures of building is taking your time about things - there should never be any rush to finish . Bit like the launching of a full size seen somewhere on you tube - in such a hurry to launch no one checked everything was shut or closed - instant submarine.......... and a lot of red faces.
Not all of us are fast builders - one model took nearly 3 years..........

So take your time and enjoy it..........
Agree with you Dave re Phil, thanks for the obituary directions - never got to read it before. Wonder how he and Vic got on - they must have known each other....

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 10:18:36 pm »

The hull was covered with glass fibre tissue and given 2 coats of resin, rubbing down after each coat with 800 grit wet silicon paper. When complete the deck was added.

This is supplied in 4 pieces. The bow piece is fitted first then the side pieces and finally the stern. The lasered planking lines are lined up to ensure the pieces are fitted symmetrically. Unfortunately, I appear to have somehow added length to he hull as the stern deck was a smidgen too short leaving the corners uncovered. I added scrap pieces which will be sanded back along with the rest of the deck to match the hull curves. The side and bow pieces have quite generous overlaps which need to be sanded back. The stern curve seems to have been cut quite a bit tighter leaving little room for error.

On a more positive note lightly sanding the superstructure removed the burn marks.
Don't Assume Check

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2020, 05:25:12 am »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 05:18:38 pm »

That glass 'tissue' looks suspiciously like it has a weave, Dougal.
Anyway, grandson James was 7 today and took delivery of his very own SLEC Police Launch. 'Gobsmacked' might just about be enought to describe his reaction. I'm still old, big, loud and scary but I think I've just earned my first brownie points from him!
DaveM

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 05:40:32 pm »

Dave,
If you are referring to the first picture, that was taken before any resin had been applied. Also the picture is probably suffering from the moire effect.

The spell checker didn't like that!

Glad your grandson liked his prezzie. Mine, now 16, was all for boats until he was given a phone. C'est la modern vie. (apologies to linguists)
Don't Assume Check

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2020, 06:38:16 pm »

That's a Turnigy 28mm outrunner brushless motor with an SHG flexible coupling and the whole power train runs like a sewing machine.

DaveM

Which motor Dave? 

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2020, 07:08:33 pm »

I use a slightly larger but slower version in my Lobster boat with NiMh 7.2 volt sticks . Great motors.
Also notice superb SLEC deck skin  8)  thanks to Dave  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2020, 09:27:17 am »

The overlap was sanded back all round leaving a nicely planked deck. Then the rear hatch was assembled and sanded to fit.

Next the cabin locking rails were fitted. These have a pre-cut hole and the instructions require you to drill through this to the underlying hull box side with a 5mm bit to take a locking pin. I found this quite a faff (technical term) as there wasn’t enough clearance to get a 5mm bit into the pilot hole at right angles to the surface. I had to drill a pilot hole with a pin drill and expand it to size with a round file. Pieces of 5mm dowel were fitted in the holes to act as locking pins.

The cabin frame was assembled and the locking plates glued to the bottom rail. The cabin was fitted to the hull and the front windows added.
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2020, 10:15:06 pm »

The cabin roof was then fitted and the overlap sanded back. Next I installed the motor cover.

This is held in place by two pieces of dowel which lock into two holes provided in the rear of the hull box. The dowel is supposed to be glued into two holes provided in the rear face of the motor cover. Unfortunately, the provided holes are about 8mm but the dowel is 5mm as are the holes in the rear of the hull box. I fitted the cover without the dowel pegs and used a piece spare of dowel with the end covered in graphite pushed through from the rear of the box end to mark the rear face of the cover. This gave me the position of the dowel pegs in the larger holes. I was then able to fit the dowel pegs by packing the larger hole with a sliver of wood.

The model now looks like this.
Don't Assume Check
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.