Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you!  (Read 2106 times)

fireball XL5

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Thank you!
« on: December 10, 2019, 12:43:03 am »

Thank you for your kind welcome to this amazing forum, Peter.

Sadly I have no experience to offer anyone, as I have never built a model of any kind in my life, but have always admired those that have.

There are some beautiful models on your site, with some superb builders especially in the Masterclass section and slowly I am reading a lot of the posts and enjoying them.

But living now with my daughter, having left my old township some years ago, due to ill-health I doubt that I will ever get to try building a model. I think my daughter would have something to say as well, if I took over her sewing room and filled it with sawdust. haha!

However one can enjoy the fruits of others labours just as much, with joy and fulfilment.

Hopefully, I shall be the wiser when I finally get through them all. It is not as though I have a great deal of exertion in my old retirement.

Again, thank you for your warm welcome

Herbert ( Herbie) Abraham

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:03:46 am »

Welcome to the Mayhem Herbie!  :-)

.... any thoughts on your first model boat?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 09:15:18 am »

Hi Fireball, now with a soubriquet like that there must be somethng waiting to come out!  You are gong to have to 'unleash' the Herbie inside you!

The easiest and probably most satisfying quick models to make are '00' gauge railway buildings.  I know it sounds like heresy but the Metcalf kits are pre-cut and press out and all you need is some PVA glue and toothpick to apply it with. 

A little kit of tools as per "Duratech 14 piece carving, knife set. (20 $)". I bought mine from a DIY store near Erina (NSW).  A tray and a cutting mat.  Perhaps a brown and a black colouring in pencil.
If you have dodgy eyesight then there are some excellent and cheap headband magnifyers around on-line, I use one all the time now.

I have built many of these kits and they are colourful, come out well and look good.

I reckon you could do all the above and have change from $50, might have to supply your own tray though!

I shall be on my annual pilgrimage to Woy Woy this time next month to visit my son who has gone over to the 'dark side' with railway modelling, but full size sailing is available as well.
Best regards
Roy

robbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Time flies like an arrow;fruit flies like a banana
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:57:43 am »

Welcome to the forum Fireball XL5.
Start with something simple as Roy suggests, perhaps a model boat might be more appropriate though  :-))

BTW.
I have very happy memories of Gerry Andersons 'Fireball XL5' tv show back in the 60's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=FQEIQT4F56A

Roy....you should have recognised the significance 'Fireball XL5' or is your memory worse than I fear  ok2

Rob. (Robert the Robot)...FULL POWER  {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 11:03:46 am »

Hi Rob, no I used to watch it with my children Thunderbirds are Go!

I was always impressed with the road making machine in one episode and now we have them!
 Possibly inspired by Thunderbirds?
Regards Roy

robbob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Time flies like an arrow;fruit flies like a banana
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 11:11:30 am »

Roy.
Thunderbirds and Fireball XL5 were different Gerry Anderson shows and I loved them both.....
I also remember watching 'Four Feather Falls'   ok2
Rob.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 11:20:13 am »

Hi Rob, I have to admit they were all a bit the same.  Saving the world in every episode became a minimum expectation. 

Now I have honed if not actually refined my interests through Wallace and Gromit to the current favourite Shaun the Sheep.
regards
 Roy

fireball XL5

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 02:13:57 pm »

thank you for all your encouragement gents, but sadly I will probably remain an armchair viewer, as my illness suffered was partial loss of my right hand and arm, and as I am right handed also the loss of doing finer things, but I am enjoying the site and that is what it is all about.
No point in stressing oneself needlessly trying to do things one knows is virtually impossible to do,

fireball XL5

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 02:25:27 pm »

Hi Rob, I have to admit they were all a bit the same.  Saving the world in every episode became a minimum expectation. 

Now I have honed if not actually refined my interests through Wallace and Gromit to the current favourite Shaun the Sheep.
regards
 Roy

I don't suppose you guys in the UK ever had to suffer one of our worst television shows (excepting one caller Number 96) that was called The adventures of the Terrible Ten, about some kids that had build a castle if I remember so called back. I often wonder what the kids of today would make of it.
Never been to it, but is Erina north of Sydney some klicks

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 02:46:12 pm »

Hi Fireball, Yes Erina is up Gosford way.  It has a very large shopping Mall, ideal to come into out of the heat.  Everything you need in there.  It is midway between Sydney and Newcastle.

I shall stay with my son in Woy Woy, by Brisbane Water.
I am getting used to the journey now about my 7th. trip.  Sorry you are armchair bound, Mayhem is one vast encyclopedia on model boats, hope you enjoy it.
all the best Roy

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 06:03:05 pm »

Hello Fireball
Welcome to endless and never ending model boat builds  :}
Even though you have lost some mobility a small model boat as Möwe 2 should be within your capability, the magic word is use clamps and then use even more claps  ok2
Check out my build. 

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57540.msg599195.html#msg599195
BRCarsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 06:54:52 pm »

Hope you enjoy your time on here shame you cant build one maybe you can buy one ready made and have some fun.

Dave

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 09:18:54 pm »

God this thread brings back some memories dashing home from school to watch Fireball XL5 and Supercar. Does any body remember Bill and Ben and the little weed? We are all showing our age now but still happy days.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

fireball XL5

• Inactive
  • Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 09:28:33 pm »

Hope you enjoy your time on here shame you cant build one maybe you can buy one ready made and have some fun.

Dave

That might be a sound idea Dave.
Nothing to large though, as I would find carrying something over 20" somewhat difficult, however it would be a case then of finding a lake to sail it in.
But many thanks for the idea. Not thought of that. thank you.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 09:34:28 pm »

Aye. Whether you enjoy reading about it or giving it a go, it's the enjoyment go get from it that matters.

Welcome to the group Herbie!

Pond weed is your enemy

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 08:10:29 am »

God this thread brings back some memories dashing home from school to watch Fireball XL5 and Supercar. Does any body remember Bill and Ben and the little weed? We are all showing our age now but still happy days.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

YEA I remember waiting for supercar and fireball XL5 to come on the old B/W TV and I thought it was fantastic and back then I thought that's how things will be in the future and me and the wife met Gerry Anderson at a fete at our local primary  school and I told him he had made my childhood a very happy time with his sci fi programs. He said it made him very happy that he had done that  very nice gent indeed
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT the future has been
chris

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 10:52:35 am »

As a youngster I had a Fireball XL5 plastic kit which you fired from a catapult.  If you were lucky the canopy opened and the ship floated down on a parachute.  In later years my wife bought me a cast metal one, which I have never opened.  It may be worth something in my Grandson's time.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 12:24:32 pm »

As a youngster I had a Fireball XL5 plastic kit which you fired from a catapult.  If you were lucky the canopy opened and the ship floated down on a parachute.  In later years my wife bought me a cast metal one, which I have never opened.  It may be worth something in my Grandson's time.

YEA I had some plastic  models of both supercar and fireball XL5 and I also made a 4ft long model of fireball XL5 as I've never seen one that big and it looked lovely on its stand going straight up. I went an gave it away to a small boy a friend's  son but don't know now if it's still whole wish I had kept it as a lot of work went into making it
chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.