Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Philip Connolly  (Read 2040 times)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Philip Connolly
« on: December 13, 2019, 08:52:28 am »

My friend Scott Pett of the Fairey Owners Club has passed on this E-Mail from Phil's wife Maureen for me to convey to all who knew or knew of him. To me he is the definitive model Fairey Swordsman designer and was a very successful multi-racer in the 60s and 70s until he emigrated to Australia.
"It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Philip died instantly from a massive heart attack on November 23rd. We are all still shocked and will miss him immensely, but at least he will not have to endure the devastating final stages of Parkinsons."
RIP Phil.

DaveM

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Philip Connolly
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:12:58 am »

I remember reading his articles in older editions of model boats and model maker magazine.

A sad loss for his family, but perhaps of some comfort that he is out of the misery of a complex and debilitating disease.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 06:15:42 pm »

Sad news indeed, Philip Conolly one of the all time greats of the model boating world, no longer with us.

A fellow Leicester Model Boat Club member in the 60's/70's and a force to be reckoned with in the i.c. boat racing world,
he moved onto the early days of fast electric racing boats, a sport he later dominated.

I have vivid memories of an important National model boat racing championships held at Leicester club's water Market Bosworth
around 1971 (me watching the racing, when I should have been revising for my O Levels).
Philip's record breaking electric boats screaming around the Naviga triangle course, to everyones amazement faster than i.c. models,
followed by standing ovations from fellow competitors - ground breaking sights to behold from a legend in modelling.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 12:50:39 am »

Philip certainly changed the racing scene when he came to Australia.   Previously we thought we were excelling if we managed 45 seconds around the Naviga course.   His 15 seconds blew us away.   He was always ready to share his knowledge and experience.   A great loss.

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 07:21:08 pm »

one of my grandfathers died after having parkinsons for 10 years. he didn't know what he was never mind who.
the other one had an aortic aneurysm, he dropped dead. although a nasty surprise for those left behind, we should all be relieved for a quick death. if we had any choice, i'd go for something like massive cardiac failure. rest in peace Mr Connolly. 
ian r.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 10:01:54 pm »

Another name from my youth passes away. I grew up reading his articles in model boats & RCM & E.
RIP Philip, you'll be missed.
Jim

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 03:00:40 pm »

Just picked up this sad news regarding Phillip Connolly . Phill was a great competitor and a leading light on  the Fast Electric scene in the 1960s -70s. Phill won the  Gold medal at the 1971 Naviga  European champs and became   inspiration for all those that followed . My condolences to his family and friends .RIP
Dave Wooley
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.