Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What adhesive?  (Read 2746 times)

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
What adhesive?
« on: December 15, 2019, 04:10:45 pm »

What's the best adhesive  for sticking wood planking to plasticard (HIPS) which will not lose its adhesion too quickly when exposed to the wet stuff? 
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: What adhesive?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:44 pm »

I would roughen the plasticard and use epoxy myself, but never tried it. Others may have a different view.
Don't Assume Check

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:36:51 pm »

Everbuild's StixAll. OK it does come in 300 ml cartridges  but you could dispense  some into pot and apply from the pot.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 07:51:53 am »

Stixall is good and not too dear.  If you want another more expensive approach then Stablit Express is very good.
Roy

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 12:29:40 pm »

Everbuild's StixAll. OK it does come in 300 ml cartridges  but you could dispense  some into pot and apply from the pot.
I've been using STIXALL for some time now , and it does what it says on the tube , with out the smell, yes the cartridges are a pain but I've just been drilling a small hole in the endcap where the nozzle screws on, squeezing out what's needed and  putting masking tape over the hole and screw the nozzle back on , it seems to be working, once you squeeze out the solid slug that'll be there it's still usable  , had no success with putting some in a jar with a lid on , it all set very quickly , don't know if it's the air that sets off curing or sunlight .
Epoxy or even Araldite struggles on anything to plastic , I think plastics are oily even if rubbed down and they cant grip properly .
Bill

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 04:10:21 pm »

Isn't Stixall a sort of mastic-type material?  I have never used it so I only go on the fact that it comes in a cartridge that presumably needs a sealant gun to squeeze it out.  Is it liquid enough to get a really thin film of it if you are gluing sheet plastic to wood, or is there a discernible layer of adhesive between the two?

Greg

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 04:52:27 pm »

HI last night I fitted some thin plastic card to my Grand Banks Build using Stixall. The glue was applied from the tube onto a cocktail stick and spread very thinly on to the ply wood. The piece of P/card was put in place rubbed down to remove any trapped air left over night with no problems. What we have to remember is this product is used in the construction industry once a tube is opened it is used very quickly and unlikely to left for days before use again. Having said that I have used this glue and left it for a while and still be able to use it.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 05:27:05 pm »

Agree Stan as you put me on to Everbuild  :-)  I bought a bag of re sealable nozzles on eBay which very much prolongs the life once opened and even if after a few weeks it has set most of the way down the nozzle just swap it out and it's like new again  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 10:12:51 pm »

All we do with sealant tubes is cut a small hole in the tube cap and use a cartridge gun to get the amount out that we want to use - we don't fill the nozzle with product. Any small piece of plastic bag between the tube and the now applied nozzle will seal it. It depends on the product but some can last 12+ months although we normally squeeze a couple of inches before getting to a bit we want to use.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 09:28:46 am »

Never had any issues with epoxy to plastic bond. I do use the slow set epoxies though, as the quick set items are no where near as strong. Modified acrylics (Stabilit Express was mentioned which is a modified acrylic adhesive) give a stronger bond, but tend to have a much shorter pot life, and they tend to have a more pungent odour.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 10:11:23 am »

Hi guys, Stan also put me onto stiXall which is a hybrid polymer adhesieve/ sealer there are
6 colours available including crystal clear. Can be used underwater or in the rain if required.
I have used it to stick motor mounts bulkheads etc. It is not an instant glue as superglue and
You may have to clamp larger parts for 10mins also if you can get a blade or thin wire under
What you have glued together it can be easily cut through,I have had to do this on a couple
Off occasions. That you can,t do with epoxy. I find it an excellent product.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 11:18:47 am »

I agree with Subculture Stablit express gives you 10 minutes to use the mix then it goes off.Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2019, 11:33:46 am »

Does stiXall work for the difficult to stick plastics like Polyethylene (PE)?

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2019, 02:56:18 pm »

HI I think the answer to this will be no. But you could contact Everbuild  technical to confirm this. I personally stopped using epoxy many years ago in favour of modern adhesives used in the construction industry. I do like Stabalit Express and I have used it  in my model building but I have no wish to determine what you use.

Stan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.