Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WW2 landing craft  (Read 1232 times)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
WW2 landing craft
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:24:27 pm »

i was asked a question this morning at lakeside by a fellow member who is building a ww2
Landing craft, the question was do or did they use navigation lights.
I hadn't a clue, does anyone know? I can't see any on the photo,s I looked at {:-{

John

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WW2 landing craft
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 08:30:09 pm »

I know that they were fitted to LCTs but I don't know if they were used or not.  That also raises the question were Nav lights ever switched on during wartime or did "blackout" rules apply. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:38:16 pm »

Hi John

I’m currently building one too, I bought a copy of US Landing Craft of WWII, Vol 1, by David Doyle.
Pictures of the LCM 6 shows a central navigation light on a pole behind the conning position.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 09:20:43 am »

There will be some form of navigation lighting  on all landing craft ( the only likely exception would be any specifically built for once-only use in a live operation).  As much as anything else, there will be a need for much use of the craft doing training and rehearsals away from and prior to the actual landings where safety and the ability to see what the craft are up to is important.  There are also situations in wartime in a theatre of operations where using lights is advisable even though there is a overall threat - in thick fog  when in close formation for example.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 10:48:54 am »

On the USN Flower class they often carried a shielded single light on the stern for use when in convoy so is it possible that the same would be used on landing craft when close manoeuvering?Copy of USN lighting regs from WW2 are on line if you really want to delve! %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.