Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Diva build hiccup  (Read 2067 times)

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Aeronaut Diva build hiccup
« on: December 16, 2019, 06:54:19 pm »

I've started building my Diva (was supposed to a project for next year but couldn't wait!) and hit an issue early on, sadly,
perhaps someone could advise.

When putting in the keel (Item 9) it is supposed to be level with ribs 2 to 4.
This is only possible if i allow the front of the keel to protrude through the depron jig by about 2mm.
If i make it flat on the workboard (like all the others) then at rib 2, its not level.

I see a couple of "solutions":-
1. Cut/sand the front so its flat on the work board
2. Weight on rib 2 (but then the keel is stressed)

I'm not sure what effect either of these will have later in the build.

Any suggestions, please
Thanks,
Mark

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Diva build hiccup
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 09:14:07 am »

Hi Mark, having built two Aeronaut boats i would say that it is very unlikely that there is a problem with the kit. The system that they use to construct the hull is tried and tested on most of their kits. From memory I think that the forward end of the keel has to be chamfered on both sides to continue the profile of the frame. Double check the instructions, I am sure it is there somewhere.

Cheers, Terry.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 08:38:41 pm »

Hi mbm999

I'm also building the Diva, I would recommend doing a dry fit of the hull pieces which might identify any possible problems (probably a bit more sanding) ,but as terry said they are pretty good all round kits .After completing the hull i filled any gaps with strips of wood just to improve the amount of surface area glued
A few pic's of mine , hope you dont mind

timg

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 10:12:49 pm »

Thanks for the replies.
The kit looks really well made, i agree, such that i feel i must have done something wrong (this is my first build) but i can't see what  :(( .

I've actually cut out a tiny bit of the front locator hole in the jig and its slightly better but i can see the keel angle slightly so it is no longer flat on my board.
I've had to tweak the jig in a couple of places as the holes weren't long enough.

I'm assuming that you did not have the issue i had in my pics.

Your pics look great!

Mark

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 07:53:20 am »

Hi mbm999

I can't remember having the same issue, although i would have checked the deck level of the frames and sand the slot
Or/and lean the frame backwards abit ( probably not right butif it help things fit better i can live with it).

Im sure it will all work out
timg

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 11:36:20 am »

Keel tabs should be flush with the desk in the build board, if it’s not then the keel is bending, as for the frame not reaching the outer keel edge that’s not an issue just chanfer the bow to that frame and past a little. ( u need to chanfer the bow anyway to accept the skins correctly as stated in the instructions.)

I built the diva years ago.... however they have updated the kit both the diva and classic, and the classic I’ve built once and currently building a 2nd ( the diva and classics share the same hull. I had a similar issue on the updated classic kit hull but I used 2 12la battery’s to weigh the keel into shape while the bulkheads were glued,  after that worked out and no issues....

See blog here this should help!

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1896-a-classic-reboot

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:58:10 pm »

Sadly, i missed the email notification for your post TugTower and had ploughed on, your build log would have been very useful. The front of your boat is something to behold (as i'm sure the rest of it is).

I'm now struggling to get the lower hull skins on, the German instructions say start at the front ( i spent some time trying to translate the German instructions in the book), the English ones say start at the back! I'm guessing that my frame is twisted too but they just don't seem to fit. I think my only way forward now is to try and get one side on and then "adjust" the other one to fit.

Did you tack with cyno when doing this then glue up after? The stress at the front seems very high i can't see how to hold that for any length of time whilst the glue dries.
Sadly, i didn't chamfer the keel when fitting the upper hull skin as the instructions never mentioned that but with hindsight it seems so obvious now - doh!

By the way the German instructions say (I think), not to glue the frames to the upper hull skins as i'm guessing, as you found, it pulls the skin in, at those points.

Thanks,
Mark

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 02:27:56 pm »

Your only option now is to do one side, and best fit the other, when I do sides like that I tend to glue up with wood glue along the joint but leave a few gaps for superglue to tack it down, then a combination of tape, rubber bands and clamps, the instructions say to not glue the upper side yet as when you release the boat from the base board and cut the tabs you are required to glue in a deck strip, when I got to that point I just ran glue down the bulkheads while flexing out the hull skin a bit and running a pint brush to push the glue into the joint.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 04:57:19 pm »

Ah, good ideas thanks for the tips,  there's more to this boat building than i imagined.

All a learning experience i guess :)

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:32 pm »

Once you have done the hull skinning, don’t be afraid to nail it hard with some wet and dry and then fill gaps or rebuild sections to fit correctly with car body filler, you’ll be surprised how many of us hide our errors with that stuff! Only issue you may have will be to concider painting the hull after as varnish may not be an option after filler and sanding, that said the hull tends to wave after the skins are fitted so trying up the hull with filler and sanding flat will be to your advantage for a top paint finish, just take great care with the deck it’s not going to forgive you for anything if you mess up especially if you want it varnished.

One thing I learnt doing that boat the 1st time is that a painted finish looks better... and if your smart you can keep the stern mahogany unpainted above the water line when varnishing ( lacquer it !) good luck, any issues feel free to PM me here or on the other forum.

mbm999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 07:37:00 pm »

Thanks very much.
Good job you said car body filler - i was going to use wood filler!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.