Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New mast required  (Read 3037 times)

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New mast required
« on: December 17, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »

Have a model yacht circa 1934.
Length 36”
Beam 8.75”
Hi deck to bottom of keel 12”
Height of main 5’3”
Full set of sails
Self tacking jib, boom connects to steering quadrant.
Need to source mast (can’t find in Wiltshire) or find a good home for this boat.
Suggestions?
Have tried to post pics but no success even at reduced size

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
Re: New mast required
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:53:07 pm »

Getting the hang of this now.
Pic attached showing boom  so assume mast should be similar

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 12:57:11 pm »

Welcome to Mayhem Julian.  I do hope you manage to get your yacht rigged again.  Have you had it long, or is it a new acquisition?  And the pictures are there, so no worries on that count.

You don't give any indication of your level of skill or knowledge in re-rigging this yacht, so it is a little tricky to give appropriate advice.  You will almost certainly not find a fully rigged mast ready to drop into place.  You will need to put one together yourself.  The yacht would originally have had a wooden mast; are you looking to replace that, or would an aluminium tube suit?  If you just want an ally tube to rig yourself, that is fairly straightforward - a 2 metre length of tube is readily available, such as here.  If you want a wooden mast, I'm afraid you are probably into a bit of home woodwork.  If you are good with your hands, making a new wood mast is not too difficult - even a good straight length of dowel would do an acceptable job if you can find one long enough.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Greg

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 01:27:31 pm »

Many thanks your prompt reply Greg.
Although a dinghy sailor, I currently reside in Nigeria and am not skilled at all in this type of thing.
My father had this boat since I could remember and understand it originally was made by an enthusiastic butcher in Yorkshire.
Now come back into my care but would really like it to go somewhere where it could be really used, rebuilt and appreciated.
Rgds
Jac

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:14:40 pm »

You should try contacting the Vintage Model Yacht group http://www.vmyg.org.uk/contact_us.htm as their members restore and sail old pond yachts like yours.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:44 pm »

Many tks. Will do.

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 09:43:02 pm »

Many tks. Will do.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 11:10:29 pm »

Hello Julian, I have contact with the Vintage model yacht group although I am not a member.  This apparently is a 36R (R means restricted not radio) and has Braine steering and looks complete apart from spars and mast.  I am not sure about the bowsprit though.

There are races but maybe you would just like to sail it or see it sailed?  When deciding on how to make the mast you also need to consider how the sails will be attached.  There are several ways.
In your first post you seem to suggesting you are looking for a good home for the model?  I do restore model yachts up to this size and can say there are not many left in the VMYG that build/repair/restore model yachts now.  I am afraid age has thinned the ranks.

The sails will give a guide to size but look a little the worse for wear and if it were mine I would replace them.
Because of the length of the mast they were sometimes in two parts and I have a period mast like this,  this and other factors decides how the sails are rigged to the mast. 

There are the other spars / booms of course and there is the question of utilising the Braine steering or fitting radio control servos to have better control of the yacht.

Happy to answer questions etc.

If you do want to part with the model send me a PM.
Kind regards
Roy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 01:32:12 am »

There is another important question to ask. Do you want to restore the model to its original condition, or do you just want it to sail? If it is the latter, then some sail suppliers also do masts and booms. They might be able to make a matching mast and sail set for you.

There are also vintage model boat plans available online. These might also be of help.

Looking around the Web, the examples of 36R I see look different to your boat. When you communicate with any supplier, it might be a good idea to include the overall hull dimensions, state that there was a bowsprit, and include photographs. Also state if you are looking for scale replacements, or replacements that will work. It might also be helpful to have a photo of the mast footing, or if the mast is stepped into the keel the dimensions on the hole in the deck.
Just some thoughts.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 07:48:40 am »

thinking way out of the box, but at that length an old pool cue with the joining bit in the middle might make a nice tapered mast.

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 08:23:44 am »

I would opt for a wooden mast but on the rare occasion I have made them out of Carbon Fibre Tube. A quick coat of brown paint and a spray of semi matt varnish they do look good.
Regards

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 10:15:22 am »

Need to source mast
B&Q*, 1/2" dowel.  If a taper is needed, there is much sanding in your future.

*other DIY and hardware stores may be available.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 10:44:10 am »

Another option which I have used is a thin section of a cheap fishing pole.  Pete

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 10:57:11 am »

Julian, this might all be complicated a bit by the fact that you are in Nigeria and I assume the boat is there with you.  I guess model yachting is not top of the hobbies in Nigeria.  Is it your preference to return the boat to the UK to a suitable new owner rather than try and re-rig it, or do you want to get the boat up and running first, then decide what to do with it?

Greg

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 02:33:45 pm »

Many thanks to all your answers. As a ‘big boat’ person am normally on “Ships Nostalgia” site but have been surprised at the enthusiasm and help shown on this site.
Boat is here in Uk. If I had tried to take to Nigeria would probably have been charged millions in duty. ( have always sailed regularly there though in a very active yacht club)
Boat has been in the care of my sister who is unfortunately very ill. I have promised to take action with it.
Am returning to Nigeria first week of the new year ( back two months later) so will decide course of action in the next week.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 04:49:36 pm »

:-))

Julian calvin

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 08:35:18 am »

Happy Christmas to everyone.
Last Sunday met a very enthusiastic group of modellers at Warminster Model Boat Club.
They have agreed to look at opportunities to return this yacht to working/sailing condition, possibly radio controlled.
After watching a clip of their activities, believe they have the ability and skills to achieve this.
Will keep you informed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.