Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adams class  (Read 2513 times)

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Adams class
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:52:41 pm »

Im wondering does anyone know if there are any plans for the USN Adams class jn 1/96 scale out there. Many thanks, Peter

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Adams class
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:21:50 pm »

http://www.floatingdrydock.com

these guys have them

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:10:00 pm »

Peter...do you mean the Charles F Adams....DDG Class?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_F._Adams-class_destroyer

We [our RAN] had 3 of these built in the US and Badge re-named DDG - Perth Class.......HMAS Perth, Hobart and Brisbane

Back in 1988, a Techo from Garden Island researched the Class, but could not locate any Plans, apart from a set of 5 frame profiles he obtained from the US Bath Iron Works...I helped him loft the underwater lines @ 1:96 from these frame profiles

Be aware that a number of pre-made 1:700 scale models have both propeller shafts exiting the hull in a parallel manner...this is incorrect  <*<

[/size]In the actual vessel, the 2 engines are not side by side, but #1 engine is fwd of #2 engine and each in separate engine rooms....so with this, the propeller shaft from #2 engine exits the hull at a steeper angle so that the 2 propellers are in line, but with #2 propeller facing down at this steeper angle Worked on all 3, supervising the maintenance of the 5"/54 gun mounts and the GMLS13 missile launcher [size=78%] :-X

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 11:48:40 pm »

The RAN issued 3 plans in 1/192 scale covering different periods in the Adams' life. They only have 9 hull sections in them though.

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 01:12:33 pm »

Its just that http://www.mtbhulls.co.uk/ do a 1/96 hull for this class and thinking of building one

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 02:54:00 pm »

speak to Christian at MTB and he may advise of where he got the drawing from
that way it will match the hull  :-))

ether823

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 03:10:26 pm »

thanks

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:07:11 pm »

Just note about US destroyers. Most from at least the Fletcher class on-wards, and perhaps even the preceeding Gleaves/Livermores, has alternating engine fire rooms to isolate battle damage. This resulted in the shafts not being parallel.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 04:12:40 am »

I'm confused, I thought  different engine rooms simply meant longer shafts but still parallel. If one shaft is steeper than another wouldn't it affect performance? It definitely does on a model.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 04:59:33 am »

No, the first time the water lowered in the Captain Cook graving dock with a DDG on the blocks.....the Model builder & I were amazed

The long Port shaft from # 1 turbine was pointing at ~~ degrees below the horizontal
The short Stdb from #2 turbine was pointing at ~~ 15 degrees below he horizontal :o

A site to behold....and the absolute disappointment >>:-( of the model builder as he had aligned both shafts to be parallel but as ~~ 3 degrees downwards

Cameras were banned at GI...[national Security]....however we have an image [Official Press Release] of the first lift off of a GMLS13 Launcher with rotating magazine from a Charles F Adams Class  DDG  [Destroyer] in Australia [October 1987]?.......you would not believe the number of hydraulic lines & electrical cables that required disconnection before the lift

I am [the one] carefully watching the lift off ...courtesy of the hammer head crane....[sadly no images of the propeller shafts]
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 07:09:39 am »

So far I have found these drawings which seem to show what Derek is talking about.

One friend has plans from Navtech he will look up and another, who served on them, said one shaft exited about 2 metres before the other. He thinks it was the starboard one by about 3 degrees.

So looking down on them they would have been parallel but side on not.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 09:11:43 am »

Will be interesting to see whatever Drawing's are available, however in a Plan View, I suspect both shafts are aligned inboard

As Weapons person, I rarely ventured to boiler/turbine spaces ....however at 0200, 100 km's off the East Australian Coast ...in the CPO's Mess eating the last nights dinner I sat & asked what was the increasing rotational resonant whine? ............the answer was it was #1 turbine propeller shaft [increasing speed] which was in the tunnel space directly under the Mess area

So why this?......it reconfirms my memory that #1 engine was in the Port shaft axis and is a s per the variance in the A Frame profile shown below

Following sketch  :o my best 3-D visual of the shafts  alignment

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 11:48:47 am »

Another abstract view  %)  ...I think this is a clarification?  :P  or further confusion?

I do confirm, that the lower access to the Magazine as marked up is Fwd [toward the bow]

[/size]During the pre lift off of the complete Launcher, I entered through that access hatch once or twice per day to check on progress of removal of components by hydraulic and electrical technicians[size=78%]

[/size]Derek [size=78%]
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 10:43:20 pm »

There are a couple of dry dock photos but none that show what we are talking about too well.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 12:09:25 am »

Wow........images......  :o

I'am think I may have to [again] eat my hat :D

That image of Wardell suggests the prop shaft with the greatest angle is the Port side for #2 engine

The snap of HMAS Brisbane in dock is from her 1/2 Life Modernisation...you can see the canvas tarpaulin covering the 20 foot diameter hole
in the stern Quarter deck from where the GMLS13 launcher was lifted out.....the hole was actually covered with a self supporting peaked marine ply lid........wouldn't want too much rain water down there

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.