Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman or Swordsman ?  (Read 4050 times)

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman or Swordsman ?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2020, 01:13:31 pm »

This flagged up on my FaceacheBook today in the memories section? or whatever it is they call it,
I thought it might be of interest to the Fairey 31 modelling brigade -

Footage of my pal Mike Beesley's big timber Huntsman 31 blasting through the waves on a windy rough day at Fleetwood.
HP61 glow powered and unlike the full size handles the chop quite nicely -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpZ-nsLTWc&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR04hPSdUEhI8knXXgXASM4vC1gXSXFQWWJSlQXtzi6t5bT-TmjYafMWnOo

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 01:45:02 pm »

By 'eck! That takes me back to the very first  46" 'Modav' Huntsman 31 with HP61F R/C at Danson Park in 1972. Was that nearly 50 years ago? Wonderful stuff - many thanks.
DaveM

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2020, 03:12:56 pm »

It Is such a shame that we are now very limited  in where we can use our IC powered boats..... languishing at the back of the hut just waiting to  see the light of day again......
I do not know where they can be used in my locallity..... I would like to be able to use them before heading to big boat yard in sky.... One can but hope.

David    I can still smell the burning Methanol and Cartrol M .....

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2020, 03:50:02 pm »

Hi Dave,

Yes that's exactly what it is, one of your original Modav all wood kits and donkeys years old !
but one of the best handling rough water hulls I've seen in action - in spite of the crazy steep prop shaft angle !!
Mikes model has travelled from Up Noarth and completely rebuilt to a very high standard by my KLMBC pal Tony Bollard -
he of huge 1/5 scale, twin Honda engined Huntsman fame - and now resides at East Leake.
Paul

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 04:50:28 pm »

Paul
The shaft angle on the real boat is 15 degrees! It doesn't seem to make much of a difference, though - as your video clearly demonstrates. Even on the most recent Huntsman 31, which I designed at 1/16 scale, I could only get that down to 12 degrees. My take is that if it was good enough for Alan V Burnard then it's fine with me!
DM

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 05:37:26 pm »

Just done a swift trig calculation. The reduction in thrust through a 15 degree shaft angle c/w one parallel to the keel is just 3.5%. Not a big deal, is it?

DM

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 08:17:44 pm »

Hi Dave,

Yes with you and Mr B re. thrust calculation it's not going to make a lot of difference - fitting the wrong prop could be a lot worse !

We did find on the revamped big 31, flattening the shaft angle helped/stopped any porpoising running on flat water,
remember the dreaded Ali trim tabs guys bolted to their transoms in the 80's/90's?

Interesting 'Fairey story' I would love to get to the bottom of -
chatting to a gentleman watching the club stands offshore racing videos from the 60's with the Fordspeed team at Warwick.
He reminisced about his parents owning a grand house up a river off the Solent, who were friends of the Twiss family,
and Peter Twiss taking him out for rides on a gas turbine powered Huntsman 28 !

He had vivid memories of the boat being silent when it approached and a loud whistle/roar when passed by.
Not managed to find anything re a Fairey gas turbine cruiser, aircraft is of course another story, you can imagine how it might of happened -
the worlds fastest pilot/driver/cabin cruiser salesman, one or two spare gas turbines taking up space in the factory stores ???
the mind boggles.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.