Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1523 times)

John boy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Advice needed
« on: December 28, 2019, 12:35:48 pm »

Hi all i am new. To this site but have found it very interesting read the posts.I am at present finishing making occre ulises
Some of my past builds are Caldercraft victory , sovereign of the seas, HMS Fly and quite a few more. I am trying to decide what to build next i really enjoy the building of the hulls but it seems that most of the boats ships have the remade hulls as I don’t want to make another sail ship (lack of room) i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a quite difficult plank on frame project many thanks

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »

try the Bruma here, or in fact take a browse.  lors of smaller boats on this site
https://www.mantuamodel.co.uk/products/ship-kits/panart
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »

Still a really nice kit unless you mean the type where the planks remain on show?

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 06:17:43 pm »

Hi all i am new. To this site but have found it very interesting read the posts.I am at present finishing making occre ulises
Some of my past builds are Caldercraft victory , sovereign of the seas, HMS Fly and quite a few more. I am trying to decide what to build next i really enjoy the building of the hulls but it seems that most of the boats ships have the remade hulls as I don’t want to make another sail ship (lack of room) i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a quite difficult plank on frame project many thanks

I'm with you on this as I too really like building the hull.  If you really want to get into hull building why not get some ships plans and do a fully framed hull?  There are builders that take many years building hulls like this and you don't have to go all the way to the masts if you don't want too.  Here's a website that builds that kind of thing

https://modelshipworld.com

Or if you want a double planked hull that really is quite difficult to get it right have a look at Mantua's Anteo Tug.  Its my current build and its only tricky due to the very poor instructions and guidance that come wth it.

John boy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:07:58 am »

Thanks for your help think i am going to give the smit Rotterdam a go  will post pics when i start thanks again.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:46:12 am »

Hello, just a thought but looking at your previous builds they seem to be static models?  On that basis can I suggest you have good think about glues etc.  They need to be good joints and not just a tacked together joint.  Working models are moved about, transported, inadvertantly knocked.  All these things happen.

Also wood treatment needs to be not only waterproof but able to resist a damp environment.  Wood needs to be varnished / painted and not left exposed on the inside, where of course it would never get wet.  Trust me it will!
best of luck
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.