Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glassfibre hull [yacht] re-paint  (Read 1075 times)

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Glassfibre hull [yacht] re-paint
« on: December 28, 2019, 05:09:52 pm »

Hi,
Any top tips for painting a GRP hull now I have wet n dried down to a smooth surface ready for priming and coating with rattle cans?
Would like to get a really gloss finish as per the original.
Many thanks,
Rich
Regards,

Rich

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Glassfibre hull [yacht] re-paint
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:20:01 pm »

International  paint used to do a paint for GRP hulls (full size) along with paints for wooden boats, which I use all the time, a lot of careful brush work and patience and you can get a mirror finish  :-)) 
Steamed up all the time

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 03:44:26 pm »

The way that has proved successful for me is to spray the primer then multiple coats (5, 6, 7) of top coat as well as you can.  If you get a run or a bald patch, rub down the blemishes and spray again.  This can be done in a day if the weather is good (or you have a very good workshop with spraying facilities), but can get expensive in rattle cans if the hull is a decent size.  Keep going until you have a faultless (as far as possible) finish. Then put the hull in a warm place and leave alone for a week, or more if your patience holds out.  After that, gently cut back the surface with fine wet and dry used wet.  I start with 400 and finish with 1200 or 1500.  Then take some polishing compound and burnish the hull.  I suggest you use GRP mould polishing compound rather than T-cut or any car product.  Something like this would suit.  Then stand back and admire your reflection.

Good luck

Greg

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 04:28:39 pm »

If you want a really top finish, then spray painting is hard to beat. You can use pretty much any paint on GRP, 2-pack finish or single part cellulose type paints will give the best finish IMO.

Jawal paints are good for tins of paint if you have spray equipment, Halfords good for a wide range of aerosols.

Note that if you use enamel paint, they can't generally be cut back and buffed in the way Greg describes.

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 03:33:31 pm »

Hi,

The last boat I took to a friendly auto repair shop and asked the owner if I could get the hull painted.

He said it would be a couple of days as he would then be spray painting a repaired car.

The paint was perfect with primer and top coats with a clear coat to finish off.

Regards

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:58:23 pm »

Great and that's what i've sorted  :-))
Regards,

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.