Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell 1/16 porsche 356 C Cabriolet  (Read 2987 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Revell 1/16 porsche 356 C Cabriolet
« on: December 28, 2019, 09:41:07 pm »

Hi all I got this from my missus for Christmas.

I must say for a revell kit I'm very disappointed, it's the worst kit I've had in ages, look at the deformation of the windscreen surround for starters.

I've never seen a kit with so many sink mark's or crackling of the surface of the plastic.

And this is the first part I've looked at some of the sink marks are in very awkward places.
Not a very encouraging start.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell 1/16 porsche 356 C Cabriolet
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 10:48:40 pm »

That is disappointing! Looks like the tooling is well past its best.

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 08:02:03 am »

Kpnuts....
Send Revell an email,  tell them you were very disappointed about the quality of the moulding /kit.    Ask about how you go about returning it to them or seller for a refund  etc etc....   

What have you got to lose.... surely its worth a try.....

David.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 09:06:14 am »

I think I will do that, it's a lot of work to put it right.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 01:25:09 pm »

Given that kit is a 2018 tooling, I suspect it's been stored somewhere very warm. Personally I'd contact the seller first

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »

Given that kit is a 2018 tooling, I suspect it's been stored somewhere very warm. Personally I'd contact the seller first

That was my immediate thought. Been somewhere very hot. Maybe in the shop window but more likely next to some heat source, somewhere in the supply chain.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 07:08:18 pm »

one thing i have noticed lately is that some of the "makers" of these kits will pull the part from the mold way too soon, while the plastic is still too hot to hold its shape...  so you get a warped, mis-shapen mess out of the box.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 07:38:44 pm »

Hi all I've sorted the sink marks and the windscreen surround (it's still a bit warped but when the windscreen is added it trues up nicely

Did some work on the engine, the rocker cover springs are moulded as just a plastic tab so I cut it off and made them, lots more detailing to do.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 08:31:57 pm »

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 09:05:32 pm »

Hi all well i wanted to add the throttle linkages and cold starting system but comparing the engine at work with this one, I got to thinking it's nothing like the real thing so I took it into work and asked our engineers and none of them have seen tinware on a 356 Porsche like the one depicted in this kit (baring in mind they only restore classic porsche here) so I cut all the excess tinware off. Here is what's in the kit.

Heres a pic of the engine out of the 356 C Cabriolet

So after I cut off the excess tinware I ended up with this

I also wanted to add the low and high tension leads to the coil but when i tried there was no room under it to add them so I thought I will just move it up but then i thought it may have knock on problems later on so I measured it and it should be 8.75 mm the kit supplied one is 10.5mm so it's too long, after the last few revell kits (which I raved about how good they were I'm very disappointed in this one) I also added the leads from the dynamo.

Loads more details could be added to this kit (I dont havevthe skills so I wont be) the 2 stumps either side of the engine with the 2 holes in the top are supposed to be the inlet manifolds and carbs (I may try to make some rudimentary ones but since when in the car they wont be seen at all who knows.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 05:58:42 pm »

Hi all well I've added the throttle linkages the fuel lines and the cold start valve (I know none of this will be visible when the body is on but hey keeps me out of the pubs and away from those loose women)

Loads more needs correcting, I hope this is not a sign of things to come from revell, this kit was only released in 2018 I've really enjoyed the previous revell kits I've built, I even sang their praises not so with this kit though.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 09:07:06 pm »

Hi all well I've decided on the colour, black does look great.
Guess what I've discovered the body is warped sideways as well

One step forward 2 back.
The instructions would have you paint the carpet black, I was going to go by this website http://derwhites356literature.com/Porsche356Colors.html
For colour combos but as you can see they say black had carpets of green or red
Well here are some pics of the actual car we have in the workshop.

So that's what I'm going for

The carpet has a ribbed effect which I will try to duplicate with dry brushing some darker grey over this.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:44 pm »

Hi all next update and we have some colour, first coat of many.

A little explanation before I mention what happened next I built a shed in the garden for spraying my models as the misses refused to allow painting in the new house (that's fine I can understand that) unfortunately we have a hot tub which we need to take down in the winter so with the new house theres no room to store it so where is it stored, you guessed it, in the shed so now guess what, yep I cant spray in the shed as swmbo says she doesn't want spray dust all over the hot tub.
Spraying outside the shed door got the body sprayed started spraying the other panels and it started to rain, by the time I got it all in the shed all the other panels had at least one rain drop on them. They all have to be sanded down and done again.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 09:27:17 pm »

Did some work on the leather seats (used a bit of artistic licence, the seats the cars that I see tend to be immaculate since they have been lovingly restored) but I'm thinking this has been lovingly owned from new so the leather has some ware) ( you have to give me some Lee way as I tend to like to weather things hard)

I do find it really hard making things new and pristine when my natural bent is to add weathering but I think this is a realistic depiction of looked after 50 yr old leather.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 08:51:21 pm »

Hi all got some of the interior done, really pleased with the dashboard.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 08:36:07 pm »

Right well this is now going to be buried in the deepest part of my stash, I am more than a little peed off

After heroic efforts to sort the warped body (you may think this clamp is over kill but I assure you its not)

Great all looked to be ok then I moved to sort the front out you cant get the the wheel arches under the wings (wont go high enough)

And look how high the bonnet is

That fitted perfectly till I started pushing the body up to get the wheel arches under the wings (imagine how high it would be if I managed to get the wheel arches under the wings) of course now (due to the use of the clamp the body is really stuck in the middel) how this hasn't been hurled across the room I dont know. More than a little peed off.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 05:48:48 pm »

It was the locating tabs at the front which were the problem I cut both the female and Male parts off of the front 4 and its sorted the problem, the problem, with the bonnet I added some plasticard under the hinges which lowered the bonnet so it's now a flush fit.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:18 pm »

Hi all well theres no detail underneath, no brake lines, no shock absorbers, no back panel to the brakes, no calipers on the front after a lot of deliberation (is this kit really worth all this effort) I've decided it is, so here are pics of what the kit supplies.

Hopefully I can improve on this.
Unfortunately the car i was basing this on is no longer in the workshop but we have a coupe in and our engineers assure me the brakes and suspension are the same so more measures and research (I've bought a vernier for the measurements) I must say I'm very disappointed with this kit even without the moulding problems they really dropped the ball with this kit all the other German produced kits I've done were amazing (I would have put them up with Tamiya) this kit I would say is below Frog standards, which is a shame, I hope this is not a glimps of things to come, considering this is a 2018 new moulding.
I will certainly think very carefully before buying another revell kit and I certainly wont be recommending revell kits in the near future.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 08:57:25 pm »

Well I've added some more to the body (will sort the missing chassis detail at another time)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 08:31:42 pm »

Hi all I've done what I can to the rear suspension, cant do much with the front as the way they've moulded it I would have to cut it all out and start again (its moulded all on one plane when in fact it is not) also the tie rod is moulded where the front calipers should be, I cant move it to the back as I would have to cut a channel in the back wall for it to run in.
On the rear brakes there is no backing plate for the handbrake cable or hydraulic pipes to go.

It just so happens a tap washer fits the bill perfectly

Drilled the holes for the cables and pipes to go through.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 09:25:23 pm »

Hi all well it's done, not great but ok (considering what I started with)

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 09:28:23 pm »

looks good to me cracking job

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.