Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Music for Elderly Boaters!  (Read 3760 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Favourite Music for Elderly Boaters!
« on: December 28, 2019, 11:17:01 pm »

As we enter a new decade it is perhaps time to reflect upon the past and in particular our favourite music. Many of us have our roots in the 1960s and the wonderful music of that era.

I’m not much impressed with today’s offerings which seem to be all about dancing, don’t much rhyme and have limited and rather banal lyrics. Not a patch on which we old timers were brought up with.

Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues once remarked that Sixties Stars were built to last and he was dead right.

Everyone will have their own favourites and there are lots of unique talents but for me some of the main contenders are:

Moody Blues plus Justin Hayward as a solo artiste. (incredible talent even up to today).
Strawbs, still going strong in full and acoustic versions.
Mike and the Mechanics, perfect for when driving.
Bruce Springsteen although not so much his later work.
The Byrds – just timeless really.

IT would be interesting to hear what others have had as music companion during their lives.

Our favourite music does identify us. Nothing wrong with that and bring it on!

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Favourite Music for Elderly Boaters!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 12:06:31 am »

Being born in the 1980s means that I’m on the younger end of the spectrum but I was brought up listening to my parents era of music which was from the late 1950s to 1980s:
My favourites include- anything by ELO
                                 The Moody Blues (nights in white satin and Justin Haywoods Forvever Autumn)
                                 Roxette (Joyride and She’s Got the Look)
                                 The Shadows (Apache and Foot Tapper)
                                 And I enjoy the Barron Knights and the Wurzels for their humorous works

I also enjoy some WW2 era music on occasion and have a liking for modern songs sung in older styles such as Scott Bradley’s Post Modern Juke Box which actually improves certain songs!

Other than that it’s audio books for me!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 02:30:39 am »

I have a favorite Youtube poster at the moment Jamel-AKA-Jamal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXS6Ds3oeLs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z0CaBSQhyI.

He is a young (30ish) DJ from a local radio station in the San Francisco area, who was brought up on Hip-hop and Rap.
He is on a journey of discovery of music that our generation grew up with. He is then recording his reactions on first hearing the music. He has heard of some of the groups before, but not all. Viewers send in requests of what he should listen too.
Seeing this guy's reactions reminds me of just how great some of the music we grew up with really was.  Lots of PINK FLOYD, LED ZEPPLIN, MOODY BLUES, and more.

Note. He has to stop the music occasionally and comment to meet Youtube copyright rules, otherwise his vids get taken down.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 07:47:43 am »

My taste in music covers a wide range of styles, from classics to, among others, Queen, Electric Light Orchestra, The Righteous Brothers, Neil Diamond, and many of the so called Mersey Beat bands. Colin mentioned Mike and the Mechanics, I love the Living Years, one of my favourite songs. The House of the Rising Sun, by Eric Burdon and the Animals, is a classic, and another favourite. I’m also a lover of the classical tenors.

Peter.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 09:42:15 am »

Everybody has been more or less describing my MP3 stash, but Eric Burdon doing "Paint it Black" is a true classic.  And Yello 's "The Race".  Both tend to get a press of the "repeat" button. Not sure if they are actually '60's strctly, but they belong.  Don't play either if doing anything delicate.
Anything by Roy Orbison or the Everley Brothers winds the clock back for me.
Much depends on my mood at the time, but I have about 3 1/2 thousand tracks of various genres stacked on Winamp, which is permanently set to shuffle.  Obviously, some are a greater delight than others when they crop up. 
One tune kept buzzing round in my head for decades before I found out it was called Milestones, and I had therefore been a Miles Davis fan for maybe 40 years without knowing it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

simple

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 09:53:20 am »

Carol King, James Taylor and Dire Straits, Supertramp, Eagles, Poco and Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood (Traffic!) I was born in Holland in the mid fifties that is why I probably have lots of American musicians in my list.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:50:05 am »

Hello All you music Lovers

I found this website years ago, it has a lot of good music on it!!!

http://www.1959bhsmustangs.com/VideoJukebox.htm

Enjoy

Canabus

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 11:02:50 am »

Without going off at a tangent......some of the memorable live shows I have seen .......[in no particular order]

A support Band for the Beatles at the Sydney Stadium [1964] were Sounds Incorporated [unbelievably musically loud]

The original Four Tops and the original Supremes [when Diana was just the lead voice] at Chequers Sydney 1980? [amazingly musical]

Hank B Marvin said to the audience at a local large Club venue [199#?] any requests?......I stood up & challenged ....bet you can't  remember Tales of a Raggy Tramline? ....he asked Bruce [Welsh] & they played it

About the same time period at the same venue The Hollies, The Searchers, Gerry & someones Pacemaker, Paul Jones fronting Manfred Mann

One of the most memorable live events was taking our three daughters to 'see, hear & be a part' of  the Live Musical Cats [1987?]  Sometime in the late 1990's I took the same three daughters to see The Cure at the Sydney Entertainment Centre just by Darling Harbour...[I stayed outside reading a book on MS DOS].........

So some 54 years after the seeing the Beatles as a 16YO, my youngest Daughter & Husband too me to a winery in the Hunter Valley in 2017 to see.......The Rolling Stones......[after parking the car, we walked for about 30 minutes to get to the Security Post [like the Brandenburg Gate] & then our seats in the venue....I was ready for a sleep], but a Cafe Bar plastic cup of Red Ned was $10.00 >>:-(

Neil Finn [from the Crowded House/Split Enz days] & a String Quartet ......at the Recital Theatre [2018] in the centre of Sydney [chaperoned by youngest Daughter & Husband again]  O0 

In my life [Lennon] ....upon reflection?.......I think I was privileged  and lucky to see, watch & hear some brilliant musical work....the likes of which will never be repeated

But thankfully music is a generational thing.....my eldest daughter sang the Beatles Good Night Song to her two young boys........just a her father did with her and her sisters  :} 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 02:27:47 pm »

Just completed my three score years and ten so it's sixties stuff for me,
Credence Clearwater
Lindisfarne
Queen,
also got a soft spot for Steeleye Span and Showadawady.

Martin

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 03:08:21 pm »

Ventura, Kenton, Ellington, Herman, Jo Stafford, Kay Starr, MJQ, Mulligan, Dizzy and the Bird, ET all. Drifted into Classical with Beethoven, then got into a Pipe Band and that was that for 40 odd years playing all over the place. nemesis 

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 03:43:46 pm »

my all times songs and bands was/are Canned heat, Jethro hull, Free, Cream, now Barbra Streisand, Cline Dion,
  best song ever for me was Something in the air, by Thunder clap Newman. got me interested in pop 53 years ago
                 Regards Howard. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 04:07:55 pm »

Rarely listen to music, prefer YoyTube and BBC Radio 4 humour in particular:
Giles Wemmbley Hogg, The Penny Dreadfuls, Fags Mags & Bags, Cabin pressure... {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

But Music:
The Moody Blues ( mainly  Ride my see saw ),
Jeff Wayne - War of the worlds,
Earth Wind & Fire, 'Some' Michael Jackson, '80 Funk,
10CC,
Isao Tomita,
Vangelis,
Chris Zabriskie (YouTube)
Pink Floyd ( mainly Dark side of the moon )
Stephen Stills - Love the one you're with,
Greg Lake - I Believe In Father Christmas,
Aicia Keys - New York, New York,   (only!)
Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U
Mozart ( because of the film Amadeus)

.... nearly any dance music played at a wedding!     ok2

Wow! I'm weirder than my psychiatrist says I ham!   :o

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 06:01:16 pm »

BBC Radio 4 humour in particular:

don't forget Eric Pode of Croydon  :-))
Don't Assume Check

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 06:25:12 pm »

My introduction to music was live in the clubs and dancehalls of Merseyside just before the "Mersey Sound" became a thing.  We spent our time in small clubs that didn't sell alcohol, but were always packed. The Mardi Gras, the Iron Door, New Brighton Tower and the Cavern etc which all featured local groups that did quite well and were great for dancing to. You danced so close to them that you chatted with them between numbers.

Groups moved around a lot, some from club to club and other going abroad and returning months later.   

For 3 years it was all going so well and then it all fell apart and the Beatles, Cilla, Freddie, Billy Fury, Gerry,  the Searchers, the Big Three, Rory & the Hurricanes and even Billy J. all went off to conquer the world.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 06:50:09 pm »

At Last   someone remembers the Big Bands well done Nemesis More a Ted Heath follower  apart from Kenton Saw Goodman in Germany '59 as for the Pipes  my lot had  the number one with Amazing grace.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 08:48:53 pm »

Anyone remember Sid Phillips and his band  ? my first 78    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTk4fraSedM
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2019, 09:41:56 am »

Yup but Sid was mainly dixieland good  but bit on the side line  to the Big swing bands and Trad jazz was becoming more popular though  not a Fan of Labels  Music    I either liked or disliked.Same today 

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2019, 01:17:11 pm »

Attention Colin Bishop,
As you started this thread ......... can I remind you:-
"If you can remember the 60's, that's because you weren't there !!!!!!!"
If you wonder why me and a few other well known model boaters always look soooooo happy at the International Model Boat Show you would be surprised what I add to the pool water !

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »

Of course I remember the 60's Steve, that's when they built HMS Warrior  %)

Colin

newbe7

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 02:18:16 pm »

To say I'm hooked on the 60's would be true for me the Animals House of the rising sun Joe Cocker With a little help from my friends Ten years after I want to change the world The Beatle all there work the Stones , Kinks , Moody Blues , Queen, Dave Clark Five , CCR, Pink Floyd I'm not sure but looking at the groups I wrote down there are far to many more to add to this list. I guess I just like music .
Rick

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 05:22:41 pm »

Somebody else who wrote some memorable songs back in the day, Neil Innes has died as reported here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50948921

Goodbye to the Urban Spaceman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVr2hbE6aW0

A great talent.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 05:49:03 pm »

"If you can remember the 60's, that's because you weren't there!"

Bull.

I was there in the 60s.....and I  can remember the era all too well. How did Al Stewart describe it? "Prep in the morning and Brylcreem and acne, and cross-country running to kill evil thoughts". For anyone who's interested, "Love Chronicles" is Mr Stewart's magnum opus of September 69 from which I've just quoted. Hear the lyrics and, if you truly were there in the UK in the 60's, then you'll recognise a part of your own history somewhere in them. It's well worth the effort  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yozCWyDEw-M

I listened to BBC Radio 1 until about 1995, when rap, hip-hop and various parts of buildings (e.g. House, Garage etc) became utterly unbearable. I resumed listening to music radio (BBC Radio 2) in the early 00s but found about a year ago that I was reachng for the Mute button more often than I was allowing the current track to carry on. Those bits of buildings were encroaching a bit too far on the golden oldies. Now I restrict my music radio to Johnny Walker's 70s show on a Sunday afternoon. Another sign of getting seriously old is when the guests on Desert Island Discs choose hip-hop and rap records.....

Now we're starting another new decade. In the future folk might say "if you can remember the 2010s then you'll wonder how we let them happen...."

Hoppy New Beer.

Dave M

(and farewell to Neil Innes - nice bloke and unassuming genius)

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 06:23:00 pm »

Greetings Mr M,
Glad I kicked you into a response ....... I hope you are keeping well.
I saw your comment after the IMBS about my appearance with reference to Smashie & Nicey. You don't know how close you were. Back in day I worked with Tony Blackburn, Johnny Walker, Kid Jensen and the other ex-pirate jocks and the guys from Luxemburg.

I earned all my lines & wrinkles as a result of years of long days and even longer nights. And regularly sleeping in what we referred to as 'Hotel Volvo' (the roadshow truck). Sex and drugs and rock n roll and all that stuff. Great memories, although fading rapidly like the rest of my antique bones. Some bonkers times were had ...... and yes, I would do it all over again.
The choice of music on this thread is bang on. Well done 'pop pickers' !

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 07:35:08 pm »

Greetings Mr M,
Glad I kicked you into a response ....... I hope you are keeping well.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death. (Oops - that's 70s, isn't it? Such a cheerful bloke, that Roger Waters)

Did you know that Al Stewart and Mr Blackburn were members of the same popular local beat-combo in Bournemouth back in those dark days? Of course you did!

Keep the faith.

Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 09:34:07 am »

I listened to BBC Radio 1 until about 1995, when rap, hip-hop and various parts of buildings (e.g. House, Garage etc) became utterly unbearable. I resumed listening to music radio (BBC Radio 2) in the early 00s but found about a year ago that I was reachng for the Mute button more often than I was allowing the current track to carry on. Those bits of buildings were encroaching a bit too far on the golden oldies. Now I restrict my music radio to Johnny Walker's 70s show on a Sunday afternoon. Another sign of getting seriously old is when the guests on Desert Island Discs choose hip-hop and rap records.....

Now we're starting another new decade. In the future folk might say "if you can remember the 2010s then you'll wonder how we let them happen...."

(and farewell to Neil Innes - nice bloke and unassuming genius)
There are other radio stations available outside of the BBC, Dave.  When I was between careers in the late '90's and driving a bread van, I pressed the buttons on the van's radio and discovered Jazz FM (listen in colour) which had a great DJ and a good selection of listening around daybreak.  They eventually re-did themselves as Smooth.
Terribly sad to hear about Neil Innes, but the news did cause me to look up The Rutles.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.