Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Jim Pinner's - Virgin Atlantic Challenger  (Read 3876 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Jim Pinner's - Virgin Atlantic Challenger
« on: December 29, 2019, 09:52:36 pm »

Jim Pinner's - Virgin Atlantic Challenger  from Facebook....

( Sorry posts not in correct order.... bloody Facebook!   >:-o  )

( see also: https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62759.0.html )

Front and side rails complete, and dry fitted, just the stern section to spray up and then they can stored till I need them on the final fit.

Comments:

Samuel - Jim looking good is it one of or is a kit?

Jim Pinner -  It’s scratch built from plan doubled to make it worthwhile!
                    It’s probably 1/16th, was built 25 yrs ago by my dad and I’m doing a complete top to toe refurb,
                    the only original bits are the hull and superstructure.

Jim Pinner - Hans van Leeuwen plans it’s 1/16th scale which works out to be about 1.35m in length and 400mm beam.
                    All Scratch built

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ModelBoatMayhem/permalink/925234261148227/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Jim Pinner's - Virgin Atlantic Challenger
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:57:14 pm »

From Facebook....

Making the most of the warm dry weather, three coats of primer filler, some work to do on the superstructure that was highlighted then prep for white primer and then white gloss.
Good progress over the last few days, still waiting for the new props from the Prop Shop other than that we have all the running gear.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ModelBoatMayhem/permalink/885985205073133/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 10:17:09 pm »

From Facebook....

Just an update on the progress of my Severn class 1/12th scale. Work on the water tight door going well, now looking at a rough internal layout of electronics, and built the battery boxes to prevent any internal movement, all will require securing in the bottom of the hull. Layout of motors, battery boxes and servo tower shown. Will send more pics as progress moves forward.

There are 2 x distribution boards to help keep wiring connections tidy. A twin and single fuse board. 6 channel receiver. Sound unit and amp/mixer. Elec control unit to reduce the voltage to 7.2 for the bow thruster. A single relay switching unit. Multi flasher unit for blue flashing light. Parallel power board to link the 2 batteries providing a single power supply.
Action Electronics provide sound info, components and diagrams which should help.

Roger - Can your lead acid batteries take the current draw of your brushless motors?

Jim - Hi Roger the main power will come from 2 x 12v / 7 amp hour batteries, with the accessories running off 1 x 12v / 8.6 amp hour battery. I have copied below the motor spec for your info:
    Type: BL4030
    No. Of cells: 5 to 7S Li-Poly
    Max. efficiency: 86%
    Max. efficiency current: 40 to 50A (>78%)
    No load current / 10 V: 2.1 A
    Current capacity: 51A / 60s
    Dimensions: 41 x 20 mm
    Shaft diameter: 8 mm
    Weight: 325 g/ 11.5oz
    Recommended model weight: 3 - 6kg
    Recommended prop without gearbox: 14 x 7, 16x 10

Adam - Might I ask, What size the brushless motors are?

Jim Pinner - Hi Adam they are Emax BL 4030 385KV 55A outrunners.
    Type: BL4030
    No. Of cells: 5 to 7S Li-Poly…See more

Adam - Thanks for the information Are they beefy enough for the Severn??
            That 3 Sla alone must be roughly 7.8kg
            Plus the weight of everything else..
            And might i say the Severn builds into a lovely Lifeboat.

Jim Pinner - Adam I am reliably informed from Adrian Gosling at Speedline Models that these are more than adequate
                  giving excess scale speed. I agree that it is developing into a very attractive model, a bit of a head turner
                  even if I say so myself.

Adam - Hopefully the SLA batteries will give you enough current flow, if memory serves someone said 15 minutes run
            time on Sla and that the batteries can't supply enough juice to keep up.
            Have a look on Mayhem main site and go through the search function or possibly brushless section.
            Or contact Phil Locke or Brian Roberts and ask there spec.

Jim Pinner  - I currently have approx 500 pics of the build so far. I know how sad is that but I like to keep tabs on the
                   build of the various components from parts to completed unit.

Adam - Not Sad at all.... The more pictures the better it's all about enjoyment and if your pics help someone who might
            be struggling then that's brilliant and the best part of the hobby, everyone helps each other.

Jim Pinner - Thanks Adam very interesting, I'm not looking to run this thing all day so I am going to continue with the 2 lead acid 12v and see where we go. Currently sourcing suitable ESC's for this, going fan cooled as I haven't got water pick up on my hull. Thanks for the link.

Adam - Jim, not a problem. Car esc forward and instant reverse. Might I ask where you sourced the 4030's??…See more

Jim Pinner - I ordered them at the same time as the boat and SPEEDLINE models sourced and sent them.
                  My props are 60mm 5 blade, just a note for you the original build that was reviewed in the Model Boats
                  mag back in the past was fitted with 4x850's, don't know how they compare with 900's?

Adam - 850's are 9990 rpm 12V 3 pole motor.
            900 is 6-40V
            6500rpm
            12 pole.
           Thanks for the information. I did consider brushless same as yourself however these 900's are brand new
           and never been used. In fact there are two for sale in USA £85 each incl postage.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 10:21:44 pm »

From Facebook....

Ok guys so having finished my 1/12th Severn, I’ve decided to do a restoration project. This is the Virgin Atlantic Challenger II scratch built by my dad back in 1995, (24yrs). Built from the plans in Model Boats Magazine he decided the model wasn’t big enough so he scaled up the plans basically doubling it’s size, so this is now 50 inches long with a beam of 17 inches.
It will have new full electronics, new pair of brushless motors and ESC, and upgraded steering system. Full respray and renewed components, probably 12/18 months work at my speed, watch this space.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.pinner.1/videos/10214638854381455/?t=1

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 10:22:38 pm »

From Facebook....

So been waiting 3 weeks for my Fleetscale order, they build to order so I’ve got another 2 weeks ish before it arrives. At this time I can see the benefits of multiple builds as I’ve not been in the workshop for any serious boat building for weeks now!
I like the look of scratch building the ‘White Marlin’, plans in this months Model Boats, would be a challenge for me and something different in terms of design and build process so 2020 could be an interesting year in the workshop.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2019, 10:24:45 pm »

From Facebook....

Just spent the last week spraying the hull, lost count the number of coats that’s gone on. Just started some small areas I did 10 days ago T cutting and polishing to see what finish I’m going to get.
Answer, not bad, not perfect unfortunately but as good as one can do without professional intervention or spray booth.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 10:29:43 pm »

From Facebook....

So now we have 2 pretty much identical rudders give or take 1mm. Decided to thread the post and bolt the rudder on, will use some thread locker on the final fit.
Very pleased with the look, they now sit as long as the prop depth so hoping this should give a good response.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 10:34:33 pm »

From Facebook....

Didn’t like the black collar so repainted, happy with Sir Richard now, he’s ready to take control.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 11:23:25 pm »

From Facebook....

26 down 12 to go, great when you get a repetitive process that works, should finish the soldering tomorrow.
Then we need a groove in the top of each stantion and 2 holes drilled in each.
Need some more brass for handrail so off to the suppliers tomorrow.

This is a refurb of a build done 25yrs ago, and has sat in my dads boat room for many years.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 11:31:41 pm »

From Facebook....

Nothing to see tonight, made some cardboard pro-formers for the stand which I will cut out and make up tomorrow.
Given the hull a light rubdown with some fine paper just to remove any bits.
I have to say Fleetscale have made a fine job cleaning off the excess material making my life a little easier.
Should have the stand up and running tomorrow then I can start looking at the running gear location.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ModelBoatMayhem/permalink/1043282446010074/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2019, 11:36:09 pm »

From Facebook....

So following discussions with Ian yesterday, he had some very valid points, so I’ve slightly adjusted the prop position and remarked the rudder location and all looks good now.
Started to form one of the stabilisers laminating styrene.

Paul - Where did you get the propellers and supports from, or did you make them?

Jim Pinner - They came from Fleetscale, beautiful aren’t they.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 11:37:15 pm »

From Facebook....

Paintwork going well, power train starting to take shape, still waiting the the props from Protean rudders being sprayed, good progress overall.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 11:37:34 pm »

From Facebook....

So today I’ve ordered a pair of M5 prop shafts a pair of original 5 blade bronze props and universal links from the Prop Shop, and very helpful they were to.

We discussed the motor requirements for the Virgin Atlantic and decided the best route to get scale speed was a pair of brushless outrunners minimum 1500Kv on 11.1v 3s.
So I’m looking at 2500Kv to give me the wow factor if I want it!
Given the original could max out at 50 knots it’s got to go well.

Robin - Might I suggest using Radio Active HD couplings. You do need very good alignment of shafts but would take the torque from the brushless better. IMHO. Fitted them in Tamar and am using them in my current build of a Trent LB.

Jim Pinner -  That’s exactly what I have on my 1/12th Severn and is exactly what is coming, thanks for the suggestion

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 11:37:41 pm »

From Facebook....

The story so far on video, next top coat on hull and superstructure needed soon now the prop shafts and rudders are sorted. Just finishing the rudder servo retainer, I know where the twin ESC’s and Rx are going, only the battery location to sort and she will run.
Lots of ‘bits’ to deal with but coming along nicely.
Pleased with the sleek look.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.pinner.1/videos/10215461696031982/?t=4

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 11:37:47 pm »

From Facebook....

Chris - Hi Jim, nice finish on the paint so far, is that a primer coat? Can’t tell from the video👍🏻👍🏻

Jim Pinner - yeah had primer/filler (yellow) then numerous coats of white primer so just the top coat to do

Chris - what are you going to use for your top coat?
I’m interested to know as I intend to refurbish a robbe najade as the original abs plastic has yellowed 🤔

Jim Pinner - I’ve been using Gloss Appliance White which comes in large cans from Halfords and is very white

Chris - ok I’ve seen it, never used it but nothing ventured nothing gained!

Neil  -  just be careful when using it .....put it on in light coats, don't try to cover in one go...........gloss white does take much longer times to "cure" rather than dry, especially the appliance white, but in time and spraying in light coats it will build up into a nice deep finish, and very strong too......its just a matter of patience with white paint. ,,,,,,,,,,that's my experience with my old classic lifeboats with their white hulls

Chris - excellent advice as always, thank you 😀

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 11:54:27 pm »

From Facebook....

So all the handrail soldering is complete (52 joints), it is made up in 4 sections and all has had a coat of etch primer. Now we can move on.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.pinner.1/videos/10215331288811883/?t=0

Wayne - work, what solder do you use please, I have bought 2 or 3 different ones and just cannot get it to work nicely. Does not flow, just seems to ball up. I am using solder paste with it and a 25watt iron. Whatever solder came with the iron originally was lovely stuff, but that is now finished. Thanks

Jim Pinner - The balling can occur where differing metals have different heating rates, it can also occur due to contamination.
I use a simple lead free 703.450 soft solder and LA-CO regular soldering flux paste.
However the key is get rid of the soldering iron and buy yourself a mini gas torch it gives you up to 1300 deg and solder becomes a lot easier.

Rob - Looking fantastic. One question. Access. Can't see any gates.

Jim Pinner -  there weren’t any, step over!
    Given the build was purely a record breaker they weren’t intending to get on and off.
    If it were a ‘pleasure’ craft I agree an opening would be appropriate.

William - Is this to be a working boat,or a sit and look at one,in a glass case,because talking from experience handrails are often the first thing that gets damaged when models are lifted into and out of the backs of cars

Jim Pinner -  it’s a fully working model and whilst I understood your point I do take great care when transporting. The lifeboat has a similar potential but has been transported without issue on a number of occasions
Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water

William - anyone that's spent time and money on a model is is always careful,but,again speaking from experience,it only takes a second whilst driving,for the unthinkable to happen, that's why I have all my working models insured against accidental damage whilst being carried to the pond,or to a show,and it doesn't cost an arm or a leg,

Neil - I'd be claiming every week in that case, lol........how do you quantify the cost of damage done, when you have built the model yourself anyway.

William - obviously.you need to have a little savvy when it comes to dealing with insurance companies,you just can't keep making claim after claim,and not expect your premiums to rise,the insurance is there,just in case you have a major disaster,like when you are driving to the pond,and,something happens that is out with your control and you have to brake heavily,and your expensive models move in the back of your car or van,or the unexpected happens when you are going up a 16% hill and your back door lock suddenly fails,and your models slide out and land in the middle of the road,or as what happened to me on one occasion,when I was lifting one of my models,with the help of a friend as it weighed 70kg and I took a cramp in my back and had to let the model fall,and before you ask what kind of model weighs 70kg,it was one of these,a 1.6th scale Tank,..as for quantifying the damage,it depends on what type of model you are insuring,..take that tank for instance,the claim was settled at £2700 and I got to keep the salvage,but when it comes to model boats,the insurance covers the replacement value if it is written off,and if it was built by yourself,the insurance company ask you to get a quote from a professional builder,and they then factor in wear and tear,and what the model costs to buy and they also look at what similar models can be bought for,because let's face it,insurance companies are not stupid,when I made my claim for the tank they wanted to see the official invoice,of its cost to me,and if it was repairable,which it was,and whilst I was being interviewed at my home about the circumstances,on how the accident happened,the whole conversation between me and the assessor was being recorded, and as for claiming for damage to a model boat,if it's repairable,it gets repaired and the price is taken from what a professional modellers hourly rate,in the 15 years that I have had expensive models I've only ever made 2 claims,having insurance is only there in case of an emergency,it's not a license to print money, ..and if you made repeated claims you'd soon find yourself un-insurable.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 11:54:36 pm »

From Facebook....

Some good progress over the last couple of days. Sprayed and finished grey deck edge, etch primer then white primer on the stantions and hand rail. One section (bow) to finish in white then all rails need white top coat.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 11:54:45 pm »

From Facebook....

Jim Pinner -  12 December 20199

First job will be a working stand, a through wash down of the hull in warm soapy water, general clean up of the hull and make good any imperfections then mark the locations of the running gear.
I’ll upload some more component pics shortly.
Oh joy the task has started again.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2019, 12:06:30 am »

From Facebook....

28 August

So finished the bodywork and fittings, now waiting for Component Shop parts to arrive so I can complete the electrics. If they come in time she will run on Sunday at Black Park Regatta fingers crossed, if she does I will post a video.🤞
Now back to the Severn to sort out the radar and bow thruster🙈

https://www.facebook.com/jim.pinner.1/videos/10215659840345466/?t=0

Callum - Lovely work. I’ve been quietly sitting in the corner appreciating your hard work, but soon you’ll get to show it off in person 👍

Mick - I love this model Jim, and it's an amazing representation of the real thing. Taking nothing away from your good self, I remember at the time of the crossing itself, a local modeller, the late Mike Toy, in Cornwall produced such a wonderful model as yours. Richard Branson himself wanted to purchase it, but Mike wouldn't sell. He was given one of Branson special jackets. When Mike died, his widow reluctantly sold the model to someone who promised it a good home and that it would be used and treasured etc, but within a fortnight it was advertised for auction. I have often wondered what happened to it.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2019, 12:06:36 am »

From Facebook....

Good progress tonight all polishing finished so it’s time to start rebuilding and new decals.
Very pleased with her look now this must have been some powerboat to ride on, I wish I’d had the opportunity.
Such beauty is not regularly seen in boat form this in my eyes has just become Miss World.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.pinner.1/videos/10215573550788281/?t=4

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2019, 12:06:42 am »

From Facebook....

2 May

So today I received my order from BECC Model Accessories and what a job they have done. All bespoke decals for my Virgin Atlantic Challenger II refurb.
To say I’m pleased is an understatement they have been brilliant from the first call to delivery, I cannot praise them enough.
In addition to what is shown in the pics I have a number of doubles and triples of most of what I need.
I know a lot of you out there use these people but I just wanted to thank them publicly for a good job well done.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 12:40:31 am »

From Facebook....

So I’m now on the laborious task of drilling 2 x 1.5mm holes in each stantion, 6 completed tonight only 32 to go.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 12:58:41 am »

Sorry to flood the Forum  but Jim Pinner has now given permission to replicate his  Virgin Atlantic Challenger build from Facebook.

Some of the posts are out of order... but due to the nature of FaceBook, 'whatever is said last is more important!'

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ModelBoatMayhem/search/?query=jim%20pinner&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Martin Davis Hey Jim, can i have your permission to copy these post to the Mayhem Forum please?.... it's incredibly hard to follow your build on Face book? 😁

Jim Pinner - of course you can. I do have Mayhem Forum access I just don’t use it, lazy I suppose

RST

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 02:11:00 am »

Superb build thanks for copying as I have no Facebook access. Isn't this the Challenger II though? Virgin Atlantic Challenger was a Catamaran?

Jim Pinner

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 08:18:37 am »

RST you are correct this was a refurb of the VAC II and yes VAC was a cat!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.