Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refurb Project - Unknown Revell Yacht  (Read 2380 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
Refurb Project - Unknown Revell Yacht
« on: December 31, 2019, 11:55:40 pm »

HI All, collected an interesting refurb project this afternoon - A two mast yacht (Schooner/Sloop??) - I wonder if anyone has any details or photos of what it should look like please. Also interested in any plans please.

Regards Wayne

IMG_20191231_225303 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_20191231_225401 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_20191231_225420 by Wayne, on Flickr

IMG_20191231_225427 by Wayne, on Flickr

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Refurb Project - Unknown Revell Yacht
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 12:28:45 am »

Hi, That's an Inga 4. I built one many years ago and it makes a lovely scale yacht. Here's a link to a video of the full size boat. Good luck with the restoration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU6C9ZLJdTM
Richie

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 01:20:28 pm »

Great thanks Richie, Wayne

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 03:00:43 pm »

A Ketch, I think, would be a yawl
if the mizzen was aft of the rudder.
Ned, Neyland Yacht Club 1959
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 05:16:52 pm »

Thanks Ned, I believe you are right re it being a Ketch

Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 06:16:57 pm »

Hi definitely an Inga still sail my mine after replacing the sails as its quite an old one.
Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 07:42:56 pm »

Thanks Roy, might you by any chance have a copy of the plans and instructions please.

Regards Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 08:10:28 pm »

Hi yes I think I still have the plans, not sure about instructions, should not think you need them as it is already built.

Have you got the masts etc?  Deck looks dodgy, was this model ever finished? 

What else do you have belonging to the kit?
regards Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 08:28:18 pm »

Hi Roy, I believe it was entirely built up at some stage. It has not been stored well and the whole deck will need to be replaced. I do have the mast and sails and rigging. No servos or operating rigging though. The rigging is wire with brass bottlescrews. I have no fittings to secure the rigging to the deck nor any idea where they would go.

Regards Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:31 am »

Hello Wayne, if you look at the mast and rigging there are also the spreaders on the mast.  The wire coming from the mast head down through the spreader must be in a straight line, looking from the side,  The other two sets of rigging wires are about 1 1/2 inches each side.  That is for the main mast. 

The mizzen mast spreader wire comes straight down, the gap apart for the other two is 1 1/4 inches either side at the deck.  The location of these mast support wires is alongside the stanchions, make sure there is sufficient wood underneath to secure the eyes in the deck.  You can use small screw eyes srewed down onto a small washer that looks good.  You can first gently open the screw eye and slide one end of the turn buckles  into them and then squeeze it shut again or have a hard wire extension connecting the two.
It is quite a game rigging with turn buckles and make sure they all turn in the same direction i.e. do not put them in upside down.  The problem with the design is that the main cabin covers all access to the controls and when the mizzen mast is mounted it is locked in place, so you can't change batteries without taking the mast out.
So go with all day batteries especially if you fit a propellor, I could not see whether there was a prop shaft present.  Do you have a rudder?  Mine measures 2 1/2 inches at the top and 3 inches at the bottom and fills the space allowed for it.  It only just controls the boat and when tacking the motor sometimes needs to be switched on to get her around. 

The motor is not much use but does bring her in so you do not miss lunch, you only need 10 watts of power as reversing it with the wind behind is a waste of time.I would run from one 6 pack NiMh pack and either use a voltage reducer for the receiver or fit an esc which will have an internal BEC.  You will need 3 ch min.
I would use a coarse bladed prop which has less water resistance when sailing.
A standard sail winch works fine, on another thread the guys who run Ingas regularly swear by arm winches which are a lot easier to install.
The deck needs a ply sub deck and then some planking.  If you do this then the planking should run parallel to the outside curve of the deck and be joggled into a double width King Plank down the centre.  Straight line planking is for commercial decks, yachting decks are curved.  The planking need only be a sxteenth of an inch thick but use sawn wood not knife cut wood which usually has a ragged edge.
Bye for now,
Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 02:46:46 pm »

Thanks very much for the reply Roycv - Having had a look at the old decking again I have found some small holes where the mast support wires fittings would have been, there are two small holes for each fitting so I assume it was some sort of U fitting or such. I can easily replace these with the screw eyes instead. I am wondering whether I should just replace all the wire rigging with line and bowsies, I think there are a few lines missing anyway so they would need to be replaced, might as well do them all??

Yes mine does have a short prop shaft and I have a prop and motor to be fitted. I do have a rudder as well, it's shaft was broken at the top so I am replacing that, though I am not sure how to secure it in the rudder so that it does not spin within the hole through rudder. I may have to drill holes in the shaft and fit pins through it and the rudder.

I think I have a sail servo with an arm somewhere so will probably use that, I assume I can fit all three sails to that one servo?

Could you tell me how high the handrail stanchions are too please, I need to buy ones to fit as all that is missing

Regards Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 04:26:37 pm »

Hi, yes your idea to pin through the rudder post into the rudder will work.  How many stanchions do you need? Perhaps count the holes in the decK?  The originals are a one off 2 ball design with the centre ball being a barrel shape and  they are 40 mm high.

I do have a set of 18 original Inga kit stanchions which I am willing to part with. I have 20 on my model but I have seen another with 22.  Have a check on prices. Send me a PM if you are interested in the ones I have.  Suggest speed as I am leaving the UK for 6 weeks on Tuesday, but they will still be here when I return.
You might like to look at the original full size yacht on this address, as she is a near scale model.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Website/Inga-IV-Classic-Yacht-for-sale-256791811498028/

As far as re-rigging goes make sure you need to as each mast has 6 shrouds holding them up, do you have all the bottle screws?  If you use bowsies they need to be as small as possible and low down otherwise they spoil the image.

Do a search using Inga IV on this forum for other members Inga models and information, there are some useful pictures, reference to Kingston Mouldings, is no longer trading, but you never know.

Good luck with the refurbishment.
regards

Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 04:57:43 pm »

Thanks Roy, looks like mine had 20 stanchions - I will get back to you re your spares as I may likely not find an extra two (will be after you return from your trip) though I suppose I could just use two other types in the mean time - I will also price up replacement stanchions in case getting your 18 is more feasible anyway.

As to the rigging, no I don't have all the bottle screws, most of the 'bottles' are missing as well as all the lower screws, I just have the upper screws that are fixed to the rigging.

I have searched the forum and internet and downloaded photos

Regards Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 05:48:14 pm »

Hi Wayne PM sent
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 05:59:11 pm »

I do have some brass tab parts for the masts and the unmade mast wood all grooved and ready to assemble. Are you still after the plans?  I have a second set somewhere but that would have to wait til I return.
I would make sure the rudder servo can cope, I am pretty sure mine struggles in a strong wind. 

I meant to say the old type sail winches and arms work without problem in this yacht.
I have to say that the kit model does not really do the full size yacht justice, unless of course the full size one has since been upgraded.
Regards
Roy

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 07:50:21 pm »

Hi all - I am admin at www.allradiosailboats.com, and I have just added this design here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/ingaIV

I would like to have a digital copy of the plans, if possible a scan, if not photos of them, to add them in the site. Any chance someone here can help?

Kind regards,
Thomas Armstrong.

(The pictures I found in an old post here: https://www.ricardo.ch/de/a/zweimast-motorsegler-inga-iv-1076488110/ )

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 11:48:02 pm »

H Tarmstro, the hull is Inga IV and because this is a scale model of the full size yacht, the sail rig is wrong.  The picture shows a Wishbone schooner rig.

If you look back on the links I put up there is an Inga IV on there.  Otherwise I can copy you one of my one sailing.
By the way I have scale sailing yachts not mentioned on your excellent web site.  Do you choose the pictures?  How do they get to you?

regards

Roy

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 01:10:39 am »

Roy:

Thank for the heads-up on the wrong rig - probably the owner wanted it to sail quicker and decided to add mot sail cloth... I would be happy to replace those photos with correct ones, given they are from a RC sailboat and not the full scale one. Do you have ones?

For this or other scale sailboats, you can contact me on admin@allradiosailboats.com at any time.

Thank you and regards,
Thomas Armstrong.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 12:31:50 pm »

Hello Wayne, transaction complete, thanks.  Your package is in the post I stuck the stanchions down with selotape so thay do not make a bid to escape and try and exit through the envelope. 

On doing this I found there were 19 of them so I went back into my shed to see if there was another one lurking there but no luck there.  I am pretty sure the packet of them was sealed when I received it.

If you fail to get any plans let me know and I will find the spare set I have.
All the best.
Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 03:14:19 pm »

Thanks Roy, much appreciated, regards Wayne

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 10:30:18 am »

Hi Wayne you have a PM I have found the plans.
Roy

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:34 pm »

Thanks only just got up as working nights, have PMd you
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.