Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bow Thruster Speed Controller Problems  (Read 2136 times)

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
Bow Thruster Speed Controller Problems
« on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:17 pm »

I have fitted a Robbe bow thruster to my Tamar build along with a Metroniks 25amp speed controller.  The set-up works fine on all channels except channel 1, which is the one I need.  I have tried two spectrum tx's two orange rx's and one spectrum receiver all with the same result in that on channel one I have no control of the motor, it just runs away with itself?  Change channel and every works fine. 
Please does anybody have any clue as to what could be going wrong?
Graham

Ps  Happy New Year to every one.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: Bow Thruster Speed Controller Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:48:26 pm »

Have you tried re-binding the tx & Rx?

What spectrum system are you using?

John

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:51:18 pm »

Hi Graham,

What control are you using on the transmitter handset for Ch1? (left stick up/down?) - What is it's neutral position?

Have you setup the ESC - Not sure what model, perhaps a Viper ESC? - if so have a look at the setup instructions for the ESC

https://www.mtroniks.net/download.asp?ResourceID=2196

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 09:05:21 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply? . Yes it is the viper marine and I am using the left hand stick throttle up/down and bow thruster side to side (I hope).  I will set it up again to see if that makes a difference but what is throwing me is that it works fine on other channels.  If I put it on the right hand stick up/down it works with the rudder side to side?

I will try again tomorrow and once again thanks for the quick reply?

Graham

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 09:26:33 pm »

Hi Graham,

Could be worth having a look at the trim tab on the left hand stick to make sure it's in a neutral position - if it's not then adjusting it or going through the ESC setup so it can identify the neutral postion may work.

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 12:35:58 am »

you have not said which tx. have you checked the monitor in the settings to ensure the channel is actually working?
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 03:22:15 am »

A servo working on ch1 takes you a step beyond what klunk suggested.
Some detail on the receiver/servo power supply is also helpful.

Altogether, your feedback could exclude or point to the same issue as this one from 2011.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 09:25:43 am »

Does anything else work properly on channel 1?
Have you set channel limits?

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 07:45:27 pm »

Thank you all for your replies, which I have tried all the suggestions that I could but with no success?  The tx's are a Spectrum 5e and a Spectrum 6i and nothing worked on channel 1 on both transmitters?

As a last resort I thought I would try my Turnigy TGYI6 mode two, which I use for my yachts,  plugged in the receiver same set up as before switched on the tx then rx every thing worked fine no problems at all :} :} :}

The only thing I can think of is that the Spectrum's require adjusting, which I unable to do as I find it difficult to read the display on the 6i and a lot more complicated than the Turnigy?  So once again thanks for your help and I will be letting one of our members at the club who uses Spectrum have a look at them when he starts coming again in a few weeks time (he is a fair weather sailor)

Graham

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 08:03:47 pm »

Just one more thing Graham - are you using a separate battery pack for the rx?
I'm just asking this because the viper marine speed controllers are set up for BEC (battery eliminating circuit) 🤔 so ch1 would be the 2nd set of terminals on the rx.
I'm basing this on the Planet T5 system...

Regards,
Ray.

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 08:59:22 pm »

Yes I am using a separate battery 7.4 NIMH, the bec from the speed controller was disconnected from the rx when I tried using a separate battery on the rx and vice versa but made no difference?  As I said I think the problem is with the set up with the spectrum?  The person I bought it from used fly aircraft so that nay be the problem but that is beyond my knowledge.

As I said sorted it out for now by using the Turnigy which I find a lot easier to set up, lighter to handle and a clearer and less complicated display?

Regards

Graham

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 09:22:07 pm »

Quote from: slinger link=topic=64259.msg680889#msg680889 date=157808516

As I said sorted it out for now

Regards

Graham
[/quote

Ah, I see that now, thanks for the update  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 10:17:07 pm »

...  As I said I think the problem is with the set up with the spectrum?...
From the outset, and after you stated/asked the first time, my opinion was No. It is a known hardware incompatibility problem and there is not a setup fix within Spektrum.That was the logic behind asking you to try a servo on channel 1.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 12:58:10 pm »

One big difference between the Spectrum and the Turnigy is the way in which the channels are allocated to the receiver pins.I am using the aircraft definitions as they are easier to see the difference.

Channel            Spectrum          Turnigy1                       Throttle            Aileron2                       Aileron             Elevator3                       Elevator           Throttle4                       Rudder             Rudder
For a mode2 set
Aileron is the right stick side to sideElevator  is the right stick forward and backThrottle is the left stick forward and backRudder is the left stick side to side.
Dundee Model Boat club

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »

If the servo test (or alt esc) test results come in, the next diagnostic is digital voltmeter reading on all the channel outputs.
Channel check without a scope (posted on another RC forum exactly 11 years ago )

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 07:48:18 pm »

Seems a sudden new years plethora of Spektrum problems involving ESCs and uncertainty as to what is going on.  Possibly the simplest practical check is to plug a spare servo into the suspect channel to be able to "see" what the radio is outputting on that channel.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 08:04:51 pm »

I thought I said that I did try a servo in fact a couple in case one was faulty on channel 1. Aall it did was chatter as I would call it also I tried the receiver battery  in it as well that also caused servo chatter and speed controller to run away on different channels, which is why I tried different receivers,  transmitters, servo testers and batteries leading to me giving up on the spectrum for now and going the Turnigy.

Graham

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 09:04:41 pm »

That's more descriptive and helpful for fault finding.

It seems you are drawing a line under it, at least in the mean time.  If not, I would unplug propulsion escs from the receiver and repeat the tests before I would point the finger at the radio. This would temporarily break a potentially troublesome ground loop connection that can sometimes give erratic results too. It also affects different branded radios and escs to a greater or lesser extent.

Don't be disheartened.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2020, 08:53:48 am »

Graham, now that the Turnigy set is in the boat could you spare some time to just do the quickest, simple bench test with the bare minimum of rc gear using the radios that gave you the problem?
I mean a quick movement of sticks  with a typical 2ch setup of Tx, Rx, 4.8v Rx battery plus one or two servos.

I can explain where this is going after the fact.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 09:52:03 am »

I thought I said that I did try a servo in fact a couple in case one was faulty on channel 1. Aall it did was chatter as I would call it also I tried the receiver battery  in it as well that also caused servo chatter and speed controller to run away on different channels, which is why I tried different receivers,  transmitters, servo testers and batteries leading to me giving up on the spectrum for now and going the Turnigy.

Graham
A chattering/dithering otherwise healthy servo is either a servo that is getting a varying signal from the receiver, or the supply voltage into it is varying under load.  Both will cause confusion with an ESC, as well.  Probably even more with an auto setting one that really needs a stable signal to calibrate itself on.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2020, 08:07:32 pm »

I did the test set up as you suggested and which I have tried before and the same results chattering on the servo.  However this evening  I have tried a different spectrum receiver leant to me by a mate
to try and plugged in the leads as he said and it seemed to work alright but I will try it again in the morning?  He thinks it could be the orange receivers what were causing the part of or all of the problem?

Graham

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2020, 08:55:35 pm »

Thank you for sparing the time and effort. This is quite a surprise. Not what I expected at all. I've done enough rc wiring and testing to make it seem a real chore so I really appreciate what you have just done.
 I can recall unfavourable reviews with 3rd party  manufactured receivers but I have never had the opportunity to try Spektrum gear.

If I was conducting the test myself, I'd first look at the detailed spec of the power supply needs of the receivers. Some are fussy. I would next get an oscilloscope trace on the receiver outputs with/without servo then repeat with the supply beefed up with a 330 to 1000 uF electrolytic capacitor into a spare slot

Can you confirm these points?
The servos were that were used in this test.
That there was nothing else connected.
 If you did indeed use a 4.8volt NiMH pack?     Yes/no/what elseIn the original boat, with thruster, how many escs, servos and batteries were there?

If it is not too much trouble can you test with one servo and perhaps a bec of some sort?

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2020, 08:32:51 pm »

The servos were the ones I used and tried in the boat, one was a Kingmax and the other two were Hitech.  There was nothing else connected in this test and the battery was a 5 pack AA which I use in all my yachts with now problems.

As I said before it all seems sorted now by using the Turnigy, which I find a lot easier to use and understand the settings etc.

Thanks for your help everyone, I did not think it would be so complicated as I have never had this sort of issue with either the Planet or Turnigy Transmitters that I normally use.
Graham

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2020, 08:42:19 pm »

:-))
I suggest you may have a potential compatibility issue right there.
Hitech, Fleet and some Wun Hung Lo brands require high level digital pulses when the supply is 5 cell NiMH let alone Alkaline. Futaba servos would be more reliable with the low pulse amplitudes spat out by 2.4 GHz receivers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.