Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings ST Roch  (Read 1384 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Billings ST Roch
« on: January 05, 2020, 01:09:09 pm »

HI one of our club members has bought this kit which I think is a static model.  Can any one confirm if this can be converted to radio operation.

Stan.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings ST Roch
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:48:10 pm »

I have a partially completed kit. I bought it after seeing the actual ship in Vancouver Maritime Museum. I have given up on it really as the materials in mine were poor quality.

It doesn't lend itself to conversion as a working model as the hull is built as two plank on frame half models with integral decks which are then clamped together so you have a big thick longitudinal bulkhead running the length of the centre of the hull with many solid half bulkheads attached to it and to the deck.

If by some miracle you could somehow totally reconstruct it to make some space inside you would still have a problem as the hull is just 17 inches long, 4.25 inches wide and very round bilged so displacement and stability would also pose considerable problems.

The only way that I think you could aim at a working model is to use the completed hull as the basis for a GRP mould and GRP hull. Not really worth the hassle given the potential carrying capacity and stability issues.

It's an interesting prototype and I took lots of photos of the original but better tackled as a scratch build to a larger scale if you can find some plans.

Colin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 07:21:43 am »

Colin is right - I did build this last year but there is no way to convert the Billings model to RC, except as Colin says use the hull to mould a glass hull. If its an old kit the wood will be rubbish :o

Barrie

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:21:06 am »

Totally Disagree - Norden is built in exactly the same way - also round bilged - but there a quite a few RC ones around including mine - and that's very much smaller than St Roch. All that's required is to carefully cut out the centre of the frames and use a drop of white glue in a few places around the cut to hold them together. Obviously you have to work out which ones to cut and how much but that's easily done from the full size plan supplied. When the half hull is planked its very easy to cut through the glue to release the bits and remove what you need to of the "keel/backbone"(which could also be treated the same way). Polyester resin thinned or thin epoxy will soak into the planking enough to make the hull stronger and it does not add much weight . RC systems are so lightweight now plus using a small brushed motor (280/385?)with a Lipo battery & Lipo safe esc adds very little weight. That will give a very long run time too. The hull can be ballasted very low down with shot or wheel weights in epoxy to counteract the slightly larger superstructure. Part of the superstructure could be left off too as the Billings version shows the later much modified superstructure. I have a small booklet on St Roch which shows her earlier form if required. Billings used to supply a 2mm propshaft anyway - (and Graupner - both work well with an oiler fitted ) - Prop Shop can supply a suitable brass prop if required with 2mm thread. No need for a heavy 4mm propshaft. All in All quite feasible with a bit of thought.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 10:29:30 am »

Sounds like a lot of work really, much easier to build from scratch in my view. But each to his own.

Colin

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 10:39:17 am »

Colin - if your kit hull was partially built I agree you would have had no way to do it . Its actually easy and a pleasure to do . Built the Norden while still very much a apprentice to the game nearly 36 years ago now. So not a particular challenge with some thought and smaller models do have advantages as they can be transported easily and sailed on small ponds ..............The Norden is only now needing some TLC after all this time
But as you say - each to his own

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 10:43:08 am »

I've not built the st Roch, so no comment on that, but I am the builder of the 16 inch tug in this months model boats magazine. I can say with certainty the stability is no problem what so ever. Common sense whilst building, no excess weight up top, ballast nice and low and spread the length of the keel. Planning in advance where all the working bit go helps a lot. Just choose where you sail carefully, other modelers don't always notice a small model on the water.
Chas.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 11:47:38 am »

You have made an excellent job of that little tug Chas, it looks really nice. I do have some small models of my own notably the Deans Sir Walter Raleigh tug tender which sails very well.

As far as St Roch is concerned I accept that anything is possible and depends on what you like doing but I think you would need to be reasonably experienced to successfully convert a kit which was designed as a static model. Indeed, you could cut the superstructure down but I would have wanted to depict the ship as she is now in Vancouver although I never had any intention of making a working model.

Anyway, somebody reading this thread now has a variety of views which should assist in making a decision on whther to have a go at a conversion or not.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.