Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maus Bullit  (Read 729 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Maus Bullit
« on: March 22, 2022, 10:29:21 am »

Next completed build from my marina is this old Maus Bullit, came to me via a club mate who bought it second hand from a guy that bought it second hand from a guy in our club %)

The original build was somewhat interesting, featuring not a single thing I'd have done myself. It'd got an inline strut and rudder, 3" square trim tabs, a small turn fin, and for reasons I cannot explain everything was mounted so far up in the hull that you could fit a hand in under the engine. All this combined made the handling absolutely awful, it rocked around all the place, stuck to waves, understeered (never seen a boat understeer before), actually jumped out the water if you went from right to left rudder and generally wasn't a good time to drive.

Some of this was eased when I decided to cut up an old chef's knife and bolt that on while it was under it's previous ownership, but now it's mine it's been stripped and completely rebuilt.

I've fitted a new radio box, replaced the 16oz fuel tank (again mounted way up high in a tray) with a 42oz tank, remade the engine mounts to drop it to the floor, replaced the old Picco motor with a CMB 45 HR and replaced the old strudder setup with a more suitable strut and offset rudder. The trim tabs are gone as they alter the geometry of the boat to compensate for the old long strut, but the chef's knife turn fin remains.

Video of it running coming soon. Took it out for it's first sail a couple of weeks ago but the throttle servo instantaly died so it didn't get very far.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Maus Bullit
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 04:05:37 pm »

Do you do much racing Andy?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maus Bullit
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 04:09:24 pm »

Not any more no, though some mates are looking to do some offshore stuff this year so I may well end up doing so  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.