Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 96402 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #525 on: April 11, 2022, 10:55:34 am »

Hi Stuw

You know what its like, you get the bug to build a boat, and then start tweaking / improving, and then pushing the limits takes over..!  I'm just pleased to have it ready for the summer.

(Regarding the Skier. I was lucky enough to have spent most of my 20's in, on and around small boats as my job.  And spent free time waterskiing, so that helps to understand what's involved and what needs to happen. Whether it's successful is a completely different matter..!)

The good news is the boat was out at Bushey Park yesterday, sun was out, almost no wind and some other great boats for company:

The ESC temps didn't exceed a reported 45°, way better than the 70+° from last outing, so the water cooling is doing its thing.  Current draw maxed out at 17A per motor, so they're working a little harder, but rated to 30A so not overloaded.  Ran for about 40 minutes with mixed throttle, so the LiPos were happy too.  That did mean I did not need to test the 12V charger at the lake as I was out of time (wife wanted home..!) So back at the house I used the 12V battery pack to recharge the 2 x 3000mAh main LiPo pair and a spare set of 2100mAh 3S LiPos to raise them from storage voltage to full charge.  I'll not charge the 12V batteries again yet, just to see how many times they can charge the LiPos, so I know.  But that's already a doubling of time on the water.

So that's about it for the Aquarama at the moment in terms of work left to do, I think she's good to go.

Will be working this week to get the skier ready to take out for a test run at the weekend.  If you look at the pics above the hull creates quite a wake as it's not a light boat, it'll be finding a speed that the skier can run at, with a rope length that puts the skier in the flat area of the wake, after that 'hump' (top pic)...

Best regards to all.
David.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #526 on: April 11, 2022, 11:11:27 am »

Wow! You've done a fantastic job there David and it looks like it has gone as per your plan. She's certainly a beauty both on and off the water.

Wish you every success with the skier side and also see how things go with your unique lakeside charging system.

Cheers,
Ray.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #527 on: April 13, 2022, 02:24:03 pm »

Hi Ray, thanks for the kind words, appreciated..!

I've been waiting for some 'flexible' 3D printer filament to come in, and it's arrived. (It's TPU rather than the usual PLA, whatever that stands for...)

Anyway, I wanted to try some fenders, and here's the first one on the printer:

And after some trimming:

And a test squish...

I'm happy with the test run, and they're certainly soft so won't mark the hull. I will try a few tweaks to improve the quality a shade. I'm thinking to try a larger 'balloon' / buoy fender too as the Aquarama has a very flared section toward the bow. The fenders can be used at low speed I think on the water to add a bit of realism. I'm going to see how the material takes paint, fenders usually have blue ends I think...

Best regards to all.
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #528 on: April 13, 2022, 03:07:34 pm »

You're really getting into this 3D printing lark David.

Those shots on the water are really good and realistic.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #529 on: April 17, 2022, 04:39:15 pm »

Thanks for that Chris.

I've now got a set of 1/10 fenders and I've started on a set of 1/5 versions while that TPU is loaded in the printer.

Also got a short (20s) video clip of the Aquarama running alongside another boat.

https://vimeo.com/700213028/a579af083d

Best regards to all
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2022, 09:21:40 pm »

Headed to the Stevenage Model Boat Club open day earlier today to give the Riva a run out in the sunshine.

Really friendly and welcoming folks, and a full range of great models on on display and on the water. Excellent location too with parking and facilities.

In other news, some progress with the skier in past few days, pictures to follow.

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2022, 05:52:37 pm »

Afternoon All

I've modified the water pump as it was just pumping water through the exhausts 'aesthetically' when at low speed.  Now it also circulates water through the ESC cooling plate.  So during a high speed run the water pickups behind the props forces coolant via the motors and the ESCs, and now the pump can be powered up to add cooling at low speed, or indeed no speed to keep the ESCs cool.

I'm hoping to get the skier ready to test this week.  I've replaced the original control lines as they were 2lb fishing line, but I think too 'stretchy'...  So I now have some low stretch 5lb line, I've got the lines connected to the servos via modified ball joints:

And these are the lines emerging from the ski pole:

So that's the boat end complete.

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #532 on: April 27, 2022, 05:29:40 pm »

Afternoon All

Added USB power output to the lakeside power supply as my FrSky transmitter has a USB charge port or it'll just useful for phones or whatever on a day out, a 28,000 mAh supply:

And the skier is on the bench, getting my head around what has to be done to get her held at the correct angle when behind the boat to have a chance of working:

We shall see if it works out...

Best regards to all.
David.

PRG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #533 on: April 29, 2022, 09:49:30 pm »

Hi David

Some great photos of the Riva on the water. I have really enjoyed following your build, nice to see how one can get hooked into getting it just right.

All the best Paul

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #534 on: May 09, 2022, 10:10:32 am »

Well, mixed results from the weekend, Sunday morning at Bushey Park, sun out and a light breeze.

The skier... Buoyancy seemed about right in a bucket, but less so on the lake.  I need her to be fully self righting, and I need to get the CoG lower to stand a chance of pulling her out of the water with the Riva in a convincing way. So will be modifying with a bit of brass on the tail of the skis, and some foam for the forward half of the skis.  And I'll take extra of both for next lake outing to allow some lakeside tweaking.  I did manage to ship some water over the side of the Riva while messing with the skier, and so cursed.  However, the bilge alarm started sounding on my Tx via the telemetry link. I'd forgotten about that, so I was a bit happier / reassured that it actually detected the water in the bilge and worked.  Removed the water and all was well again.

So skier was detached and a very kind Ashley with his camera snapped the following of the Riva in its natural habitat:

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #535 on: May 29, 2022, 05:33:37 pm »

Drove up to Wicksteed yesterday with the Riva. Very friendly bunch at the lake. Particularly pleased to have met and had time to chat with Chris F. Nice to put a face to the name having chatted many times here on the forum..!

Boat performance was good. And got to use the 12V charging pack to keep the LiPos topped up.

Didn't get the skier together in time to take it...  Maybe next year...

And there's always the 1/5th...
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67545.0.html

Best regards to all.
David.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #536 on: May 29, 2022, 05:47:59 pm »

Lovely shots of her on the water at Wicksteed - wish I could have been there but other things got in the way.
Still, you've produced a stunner, so well done David and hope you have success with the skier.

Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #537 on: May 29, 2022, 09:49:57 pm »

Great to have met you David and also to see your Riva in the "flesh" which lived up to expectations both from visual and performance points of view. Most certainly a build to be proud of.

And impressed with the charging pack, lovely bit of kit.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2022, 07:53:16 pm »

Thanks Chaps...  Been busy with a few projects, the 1/5 sound system... And getting the 1/5 ESCs / motors / radio to talk to each other, and not yet sorted the latest skier... But put the old skier (Pink Panther) behind the Aquarama at the weekend...  I think Peter Sellers owned an Aquarama, so I can kind of get away with it...   :-))

It's encouraged me to get back to sorting the new skier...  And at least I know the pole works...

Bit worrying that the observer seems so distracted...   :-)

Best regards to all.
David.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #539 on: June 20, 2022, 08:54:59 pm »

Hiya David, those action shots look good with the skier attached (pink panther I mean) and agree this should help you in your deliberations.

Aye,
Ray.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #540 on: June 21, 2022, 06:38:14 pm »

Is this your Aquarama David?  https://youtu.be/icPIAzzbhHE

Drove up to Wicksteed yesterday with the Riva. Very friendly bunch at the lake. Particularly pleased to have met and had time to chat with Chris F. Nice to put a face to the name having chatted many times here on the forum..!

Boat performance was good. And got to use the 12V charging pack to keep the LiPos topped up.

Didn't get the skier together in time to take it...  Maybe next year...

And there's always the 1/5th...
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67545.0.html

Best regards to all.
David.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #541 on: June 21, 2022, 07:07:03 pm »

Hey Martin

Certainly is.... 

David. (Nice video...!!!)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #542 on: July 01, 2022, 10:11:35 am »

Morning All

It turns out that when you buy a Riva Polo Shirt, it comes in a rather splendid tin box.  Possibly to help justify the price...

https://www.rivaboutique.it/gb/?___store=gb

Either a cake tin or tool box depending whether you get my wifes view, or mine.  I think once it smells of WD40, its mine...  :-))

Best regards to all.
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #543 on: July 01, 2022, 10:46:21 am »

Wow, I’ve just been browsing!  %%

Surely cake tin for your celebrations once the 1/5th is complete!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #544 on: July 01, 2022, 10:53:00 am »

>>:-( .......I thought Polo Shirts, irrespective of Brand were 100% Australian Cotton  O0 ..........

No wonder these... £126.00 Polo Tops get a bit pongee, as made from Asian Woooooooll :o   which is probably synthetic  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #545 on: July 11, 2022, 09:25:43 am »

Morning All
Have been working a bit on the skier, trying to get the balance and buoyancy right. But still a work in progress...

Did have an outing yesterday to Bushy Park and tried out the 3D printed fenders, I think they look the part..!  A lot of weed in the lake so pretty much low speed manoeuvres anyway.

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #546 on: July 24, 2022, 04:33:59 pm »

Afternoon All
Took the Aquarama over to the Chantry Model Boat Club Open Day yesterday. Well organised and very friendly folks that made me feel very welcome. Great location too at the Bluewater Shopping Centre just off the M25 near Dartford, plenty of parking and every amenity close by.

The Aquarama ran well, also took my Dragonforce 65 on the day out, light winds, but fun out on the water with the other yachts.

I've been staring at the skier for a couple of weeks seeking divine intervention...  I think I need a slightly different approach to the pull up and out of the water...  And will be weighting and rigging the skier this week to see if it works...

Very best regards to all.
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #547 on: July 27, 2022, 11:45:55 am »

I take it you didn’t blast through the yachts with the Riva! Although she looks so good, who could complain?
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #548 on: September 04, 2022, 06:38:02 pm »

Another very enjoyable Open Day outing for the Riva, this time to Black Park MBC in Buckinghamshire. Very nice large lake with parking and facilities. Several other boat clubs in attendance too so a good show of boats on the water keeping passers by entertained. As always met very friendly folks, always good to talk boats with other builders...!

Several boats with skiers attached... I've been a bit distracted by the 1/5 build, I really need to spend some time on my skier...

Very best regards to all.
David.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #549 on: September 04, 2022, 06:55:56 pm »

Well, at least she's getting a bit of time on the water David and it's been a good opportunity to discuss 'skiers' with other builders and perhaps got a few ideas for your water skier.  ok2

Aye,
Ray.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.