Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 94987 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2020, 11:29:55 am »

Morning All

Mahogany planking of the hull continues.  This is the approach I'm using, and tools:

I mark up in pencil a position so I can replicate the plank position and test the fit:

I use a blade to scrape away any excess glue from previous plank, to get a good fit:

I lay a bead of adhesive where the plank will sit, and a second against the earlier plank:

Working from the stern I make sure the planks are tight together, then clamp:

Then masking tape and bands to help keep flat, and drill 0.5mm and pin:

I stop short of the bow section, as it needs extra shaping and I find it easier to do when its held firmly in position:

More to follow.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2020, 11:55:17 am »

Toward the bow the planks are on a convex hull shape, so even when the joint is cleaned up:

There's still a gap at the top of the plank joint:

So the planks have to be undercut:

So a good close joint is achieved:

Ideally the joint faces will meet well for the depth of the joint otherwise sanding will be problematic, possibly exposing a gap...

I've been using the micro plane to get the edge right.

Best regards to all
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2020, 06:15:45 pm »

This is my process to form the planks at the bow, two planks glued to rear 2/3 of hull:

Mark and cut the approximate end:

Trim with micro plane:

Then sand:

Then I bring the other side plank over, and roughly trim it:

Secure the first plank with adhesive and pins:

Then I use a band to apply pressure right to the end of the plank:

And finish the sanding:

Bring the opposite plank over:

And keep it under tension:

Once dry, plane off excess, and sand:

And that's another pair added:

Then I alternate the next pair.

They'll all be sanded to an end result once in place to for the correct shape.

Hope that's of interest.
Best regards to all.
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2020, 06:21:06 pm »

Very good David  :-))
I spent most of my time wiping off excess glue  {-)  probably why I've used 400grams  %%   
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2020, 06:28:27 pm »

David that's a good technique that you have got there.  As an addition I also bend the plank laterally which saves forcing it over at the bow.  This gives a flatter joint to the first layer of planking as it stops the clinkering effect and also reduces the amount of finishing sanding.  Your build is absolutely beautiful  O0

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2020, 08:15:06 pm »

Your photos provide a lot of help and info. I'd love to build one myself one day, just checking if I have the skills, and cash!
Thanks.

Nordlys

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2020, 09:19:31 am »

Morning All

Thanks for the comments guys.

I thought I'd document the bow planking for a couple of reasons:

1. If it turns out to be a rubbish bow, I'll help people who go after to know that approach doesn't work.
2. This is my first planked boat build, ever.  So for those contemplating the Aquarama, if I can get past some of the (in my view) difficult sections of the build (like the bow) OK, then anyone can. I'm taking all the info I can find around the web from other build logs, listening to those that have been here before and taking it steady.
3. By showing in detail how I've done it, I get very helpful comments from folks who've been here before and I learn for next time. (Thanks MarkT..!) I hadn't thought about putting a bend in the planks...  That would help as they need quite a lot of force to hold them in place right at the bow..!

And as Andy said a week or so ago, this is a really enjoyable build. Seeing the classic Aquarama shape emerge is a pleasure.  If aiming for a high quality result its a challenge at every step for sure. I have no idea how many hours I've put in so far, several hundred, and if its finished for next summer I think that would be a good result, that would be 18 months.  As a kit, I think most of the parts are good quality, there are workarounds documented on the various build logs for the deficient components. But as already documented its designed as a static model and needs major weight saving plus a chine mod as a minimum for an RC build. My other comment is that like chess, the next several stages of the build have to be taken into account when doing anything, the instruction book is very light on detail, and seems like a Google translation from the original Italian, not always making a lot of sense.

Back to the planks...

:-))

Good day to all.
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2020, 02:07:04 pm »

Hi David - I meant to post this for you but forgot  %%

If like me when you started bevelling your planks I found it very difficult to hold them and get a uniform bevel along the length.  There are some expensive plank holding tools that quite frankly are cheaply made junk and no use to a builder.  I made a simple tool out of some aluminium angle from B&Q held together with 3mm bolts.  I use this tool all of the time and you get a nice even bevel  :-))

Mark

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: August 24, 2020, 11:33:49 am »

Morning Mark

I like that a lot, thanks for the pictures...  And I guess it helps with symmetry too if you load up two planks.  I'll make up a similar clamp.

I have put this together to give me a consistent chamfer, its based around an old dremel, the aluminium angle fence can be moved to give pretty fine control of depth, and changing the dremel head gives me different angles:

Good at what it does, but I like your approach.

Thanks
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: August 24, 2020, 11:54:14 am »

Morning All

Been busy with the planking on the bottom of the hull.  It's taken some time to develop the chine as I want it.  This is one of the main mods I'm doing to the Amati kit and I think the one that will make the biggest difference out on the water.

So the chine is not visible right at the bow, the bottom planks meet the side planks and are flush:

As the planking proceeds back down the hull the start of the chine can be seen, just the depth of one plank:

[size=78%]

This shows the revised chine line from the side, the mahogany plank on the side shows the original chine line of the kit:

The revised line tapers down the length of the hull (shown bow to stern in next pictures):

Then an additional plank is added below the original chine line:

Then planed down to reveal the new chine:

Have to admit to a little filler to get the final shape...

Then this is going to allow a slight scooping of the chine once fully sanded.  This is current state of the hull:

Plan now is to get the sanding progressed, and the holes cut out for the various shafts.

David.

[/size]

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #160 on: August 24, 2020, 01:59:34 pm »

Hi David.

So that's how a ruler works, have wondering what they were for many years now😊😊

Excellent work, it's going to be credit to you when finished. Vestri solers sunt in summo ordine.

I note that you asked Andy why he changed to No.1, I wondered that too. His answer quite surprising, exactly the opposite to what I have found over the time that I've been using it. Particularly he quick drying time of the No1, both types have an agonizingly slow drying time, admittedly,  Classic does take slightly longer but there is no way it is out shined by the No1, although there is very little in it.

I have a couple of photo's showing the Musetto, particularly how it sits on top of the Saxboards and not let into them, if you are interested.

Continua così.

Mike.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #161 on: August 24, 2020, 02:57:16 pm »

My findings are in line with the product descriptions @
https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/varmain.html

I found there was less brushing time and when it came to sanding down I clearly had brush marks
ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2020, 03:43:46 pm »

Afternoon All

Some Aquarama controversy for Saturday...

I've coated the bottom of the hull in thinned z-poxy finishing resin, and will then be using several coats of International 'Original' Polyurethane varnish to give the end result. This has been a tough call as I can see Mike and Andy have got awesome results from the Le Tonk products on the same build, I've done some of my own testing with the two approaches and this combination delivered best results for me.  Time will tell if this is a monumental blunder... The challenge will be to get it somewhere close to the gloss of the Le Tonk route.

After two thinned coats of z-poxy followed by sanding, I arrived at this:

Then the cutouts and dry fit of the shafts, P brackets, water pickups and rudder stocks:

Shaft angle is shallow at around 8.5°, with a 3mm gap between hull and 35mm prop tip:

Will probably go back to a little more planking now.  Rudders are possibly a shade oversized, but I think I'll leave them as the are til I've had the boat on the water.

Here's some context:

And here's the measurement I've used.  The rudders are in the original position, but the props are a good way forward, this is just personal preference:

And the shafts from the inside:

That pic shows that the motor mounts are in same position as the standard build, but as the shafts are running lower in the hull I can still run a shallow shaft angle and bring the props forward.

David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: August 29, 2020, 03:49:44 pm »

Hi David I think that's a really good approach.  The epoxy will certainly fill any tiny holes etc and sands just like glass.  If you wanted it to be ultra glossy you could always use a 2 pack clear coat which you can buy in rattle cans.  It would be very very tough too!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #164 on: August 29, 2020, 04:24:25 pm »

As we discussed I think you’ve gone the right route and if I build another, resin and polyurethane will be my route too.
LeTonk will happily go over Zpoxy too as can be seen in my seating area.

Looking great David  :-))

ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2020, 05:48:13 pm »

Afternoon All

Thanks for the comments chaps. The build progresses.

Working to bring the mahogany planks up the side of the hull:

I'm finding that the only way to hold them in place is a combination of pins, clamps and bands, the magnets I've tried aren't up to it, and access is tricky.  I have started to prepare the planks by pre drilling and inserting the fine pins, then apply the glue to the hull and I find its more straightforward (and quicker) to then use the planks with pre placed pins.

I'm finding the hand drilling easier than using a power drill or dremel.  Not using the pin pusher at all, and reusing a lot of the pins.

I've tried to avoid the issue of the planks being not quite long enough for the stern to tip of the bow by reserving that section for short filler planks. (Stealers..?)

Just reaching the end of my first bottle of Titebond 3, so thats 237ml used so far.

I was thinking about the 'extended chine', in that it should add to the displacement of the hull as its now going to displace a little more water than the standard build. So while we're trying to keep weight down, the chine should help keep the bow higher even at rest. I think a conservative estimate of the chine volume would be something like 6mm of extra freeboard along say 400mm of the hull (it tapers heavily along more of the hull), and the flat area of the new chine is say 12mm wide for most of that 400mm of length.  So the displaced volume would be 6mm x 400mm x 12mm which is 28,800 cubic mm or 28.8 cubic cm. (It would be half of that per side as the chine is adding a triangular section, but thats mirrored on the other side, so its displacing an extra 28.8 cubic cm total.  So thats basically buying back an extra 30 grams of weight that the hull can carry to have the same waterline as the standard build....  I think.

David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2020, 05:53:15 pm »

Afternoon All

Nearly there with the hull mahogany planking:

Some final trimming up around the bow, some initial sanding then probably move to the stern.

I've been using mahogany sanding dust mixed with glue into a thick paste as a custom filler in a few places, I've got a couple of 'mahogany' fillers but they're all on the purple side of this mahogany...

David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2020, 05:35:53 pm »

Afternoon All, a Friday update on progress.

Planks up the hull sides are complete:

Then thanks to whoever dreamed up the washing up liquid and water trick to get rid of the pin holes, so from this:

Via this, with particular attention to working the water into the pin holes:

To this:

Then a start on the stern planking:

Exhaust holes cut out roughly while I could still see where they were...

Planks undercut and tapered slightly at each end as the stern is curved vertically and horizontally:

Sanding required to get that curve right I think, a work in progress, and I think my overhead work light makes that planking look worse than it is...  (Please reserve judgement til after the sanding...)

And this is current state of play:

Ah.  Do I have to leave the forum now I've posted a picture of a plane flat on the desk...??
 {:-{
Great weekend to all..!
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2020, 05:50:29 pm »

That was Mike  :-))

Plane offender 🙈😱🤣

Looking good  O0
ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2020, 12:23:27 pm »

Haha...  Afternoon All. The website that just keeps giving (Amazon) has just delivered me a roll of Al Oxide paper, and a very deceptive gold bag with a gold tassel drawstring which looks more like a wedding favour or something from a jewellery store...   

It's a funny old world...  For in reality it contains a set of shaped manganese steel cabinet scrapers...

And of particular interest is the 'goose neck' to get into the Aquarama bow section:

I'm realising that with sanding alone its tricky to get the smooth flowing curves, so this is going to be my approach to getting rid of the high spots before sanding / pool noodling....

David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2020, 12:48:45 pm »

Hi Andy

I've been using a spare blade from the Amati plank bending tool for the scraping tasks so far, and really pleased with that as an approach, but its not feasible for the curves so I went out looking.  I saw the comments re sharpening, not sure what they're getting at really, the steel has lethal and hard edges already, not to an point like a blade but rather a crisp 90°, I've tried the gooseneck scraper and see no need to attempt to sharpen further.

Ah, wish I'd looked around / seen the Veritas versions...  I do like their tools...  The ones I have are no name versions, but hopefully fit for purpose. They do ship in a gold bag, that's the main thing...

:-))

David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2020, 12:58:55 pm »

Sounds like they are ok
Perhaps inconsistent finish on those giving the feedback
Thanks for your feedback I will make a choice when I get home as I won’t need them now for my current build.
A gold bag is not to be sniffed at  {-)
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2020, 01:24:56 pm »

ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2020, 01:10:53 pm »

Afternoon All

Very pleased with the shaped scrapers, very accurate used to profile the mahogany to full smooth curves.

So the hull has now had a once over with the scrapers, and first sanding. And have finished the cut outs for the cap maquettes dock lights. (Thanks again Mike...)

Stern coming along too:

Now with the cut outs for the exhausts:

The exhausts are not standard Amati issue, they go through the transom and have a port for water cooling to exit via the exhaust tube, and a larger port for injecting vapour.

Regards to all
David.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 23 queries.