Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 94989 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2020, 09:42:14 am »

Mission Control, we (may) have a problem...

The mahogany planking appeared at deck level leaving a small gap which I've filled.  I'm not sure whether this means my profiling of the lime layer was incorrect as it met the deck.

Outcome is I've started to sand a flat where deck meets hull:
[/size]

But have stopped before going too far.  My plan is to use the 3.5mm chrome edging (ebay) so I'll wait for that to arrive to see how it fits...  Also to fit the mahogany deck side panels (parts 214 / 217) then sand to their shape.

There's another related issue, the bow now has a different side elevation to the plans where it joins the deck:

My plan is to sand back on the deck edge and then the line of the bow to bring it back to plans, to keep the upward curve...

Any comments from my Aquarama colleagues are welcome...

In the meantime, in an effort to stay out of further trouble, I'm building the slipway:

Regards to all
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2020, 11:07:42 am »

I don't think you have a problem. The shape looks great. Mike did point out that no two will be exactly the same. We are not machines so our building will vary. The main thing is how the Mahogany deck parts fit in relation to your planking.

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2020, 12:05:05 pm »

Hi Andy

Thanks for this, helpful and reassuring. I should have looked back over your log...

And yes, I'll get the various bits of additional mahogany bow pieces and see how they dry fit.

Hope you're getting some of this sunshine north of the border..!

Best regards
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2020, 12:27:46 pm »

We came home yesterday  :-))
ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2020, 05:47:24 pm »

Fridays update...

Dry fitted the top mahogany ply to check the fit, specifically how it fits over the bow.

There's very little excess or 'adjustment' in the fit of the mahogany ply so the correct fixing of the first part (bow in my case) is important.

Happy with the fit so have started to attach the bow ply parts, have started to use the centring ruler to keep the bow symmetrical:

And the centre ply strip, precision placement critical to get the subsequent inlay symmetrical:

And this is the current position:

I've used a blade to clear any excess glue so that the inlay strips will fit tight to the ply sides, I think its now ready for the inlay strips.  That's going to be tomorrow afternoons task all being well.

Great weekend to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2020, 10:01:23 am »

Morning All

Plans for the weekend panned out OK so got some time on Saturday to work on the deck inlay, very satisfying to see the deck take shape:

I've marked out a 'safe' area to lay the inlay to toward the dash, that will be eventually be covered by another panel:

Using same source plank on opposite side to try to get a symmetry to the deck once finished:

Trying hard to keep the symmetry to the outer edge, the benchmark set by those that have gone before is high....

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2020, 05:58:13 pm »

Afternoon All

Deck is pretty much complete...

Pleased with the symmetry, it's within fractions of a mm:

Some light sanding required to get the inlay surface complete:

This is starboard side:

Current overview:

Very satisfying stage of the build.

:-))

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2020, 09:53:01 am »

Morning All

Just thought I'd add a couple of observations re the bow inlay.

1. Instruction book suggests (I think...) pre gluing a Mahogany strip to a Lime strip, see pic below.  I didn't do that, I found it easier to shape and apply them separately.

2. The instruction book calls for 1x1mm lime and 1x3mm mahogany to be used:

In reality the supplied lime is noticeably rectangular in section:

Better news is that they're all about the same dimensions...

And the Mahogany 1x3mm is actually:

Again, all pretty much off by same amount, so could be worse.

I've used the Lime so that when viewed from above you're seeing the 'narrow' 0.93mm, this means that the height of the Lime (1.38mm ish) is close to the real height of the Mahogany (1.22mm ish)...  So they sit at similar heights when placed together on the deck. If you see what I mean...  This leaves the Lime slightly proud and in need of light sanding to bring down to the Mahogany. I think the pinstriping effect is also better when the lime is narrow.

I wasn't sure about taking the planking down the side of the dashboard, the instructions seem ambiguous to me. And different builds either take it over the curve at either side of the dashboard, or stop at the line of the dashboard. I've taken it all the way over the curve, rational being it'll be easy to reduce if needed, but tricky to add back in...

Next step will either be shaping the bow for the Musetto / Cutwater or starting to get the stern sorted out...

Good day to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2020, 05:43:13 pm »

Just had a look at the saxboards with a view to understanding the fit...  And they're disappointingly different in colour...  Any thoughts on correcting this gratefully received.

Regards to all.
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2020, 05:50:36 pm »

Hi David - Is there enough wood left on either panel that you could scribe the pattern and then cut them out?  That way all 4 pieces would be from the same panel. If not I would just buy a piece and cut them out afresh. Just out of interest have you tried giving them a light sand and then wet them slightly to see if the colour is that much different

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »

Hi David.
I've got some Mahogany which looks very much the same colour as your transom planking photo.
I can send you some if it would help.
Mike.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2020, 08:32:09 pm »

Evening Both

Mark, thanks for comments. I've had a look, there's not enough excess to extract a new set from the existing Amati panel. I haven't tried sanding. But to be honest they're so different I don't think that's going to do it. I was wondering if you were going to come up with some old wisdom '... ah, just rub it over with an old teabag and it'll be fine...' 
 :-)
I've ordered some Mahogany panels as I need to build up some stock anyway, but thanks for the offer Mike. I'll let you know if the colour of the new panels is a reasonable match.

On a related matter. Either of you rate the Proxxon Scroll Saw..? Trying to build up the right tools.

Thanks
David.

I

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2020, 01:29:05 am »

I don’t know what the scroll saw is like but I have got the band saw. This is quite a good tool for its size and they make a very narrow blade for it now which I think is about 1.3mm wide. That would probably do the same job as the scroll saw - Mark

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2020, 03:14:44 am »

David.
I strongly agree with Mark.
You'll get far more use from a bandsaw than a scroll saw. I made the mistake of starting with the s/saw but quickly came to the conclusion that having a bandsaw was the way to go, I don't think that a day goes by when I don't use it.
To me, the 3 most important machines to have, particularly if you build from plans, are, a pillar drill, bandsaw and a bench disc sander. There is very little that you can't do if you have them. The scroll saw will live under the bench most of it's life and a decent bandsaw will cut your new Saxboards quite easily.
Just my opinion of course, probably others will disagree.
BTW, I quickly sold the scroll saw shortly after buying it and haven't found the need for one yet.

Mike.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2020, 08:48:01 am »

Morning Both

Excellent recommendation coming from you two, so a bandsaw it is.

I did like the look of the small Proxxon disc sander too (as you mention it Mike), but that will have to wait for another day.  Pillar drill and small lathe / milling machine I do have, but I can feel the Proxxon versions being acquired over time as they look far more precise for small work.  And need to plan for Aquarama V2...

Is there a special handshake that goes with owning Proxxon tools..?

%)

BTW, my wife is not impressed that you've just made me spend quite so much money. The good thing is that she's unhappy with you two more than me, so thanks for that.

:-))

David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2020, 08:51:54 am »

Good move David and I think you’ll be happy with it  :-))   If you find it a bit noisy like I did, buy a sheet of dynamat on eBay and line the inside of the case with it. It’s the sound deadening stuff they use in cars and works great. It’s also self adhesive so it makes the job very simple

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: September 24, 2020, 10:35:21 am »

Morning David.

Re the Aqarama V2.
Why not get the Amati plans that you have enlarged. If they are the same quality as the original supplied in the Mk.1 kit.
Also, if you do buy a Proxxon sander make sure it's the larger of the two, bigger is better where bench Sanders are concerned.

Mike.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: September 24, 2020, 01:23:59 pm »

Hi Mark, nice idea with the sound damping, I have some of that self adhesive foam for inside of PC cases.

And Mike, yes, I had wondered what the result would be in doing that...  I guess it would be good from the point of view of understanding the construction technique having worked through the 1/10 version.  The plans seem good to me.  I'll get further with the current build before deciding, but I do like the idea.

And noted re the sander, makes sense...

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2020, 01:57:49 pm »

I have owned both Proxxon bench sanders and I ended up selling the larger to a member here. The smaller sander is the tool I use more than any other I have.

Perhaps another manufacturer may be a better choice for large sanders. I found the Proxxon underpowered
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2020, 04:38:06 pm »

This is my cast iron, very heavy duty sander. Does not lack power!
But,  I do like the look of that Record model though Andy.

I need to decide on another project first.

Nord.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: September 28, 2020, 09:50:00 am »

Morning All

Thanks for the comments re the powertools. First new toy has arrived:

I've added the noise absorbing foam to the inside of the cover, have to say that works really well (thanks Mark T...), noise level now very acceptable and a definite improvement over standard. At the moment I have it attached to a piece of MDF so I can clamp it where I want to use it.  Thinking about the Proxxon vacuum to go with it, to connect directly (it seems smart in that it powers up when the saw powers up) and to have it as a workshop vacuum, anyone have any experience with it..?  And I guess a future thought, anyone connected up a few power tools that take a dust extractor hose to a Vacuum, maybe using PVC pipe..?

Mahogany for the new Saxboards has arrived too, so cost of Saxboards at the moment...  £310.00...

{:-{

Regards to all.
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2020, 07:22:18 pm »

ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2020, 09:58:20 am »

Morning Andy

The Bosch sounds like a good option, and thanks for the plumbing pics.  Very tidy.

The Bosch is the same price as the Proxxon Vac / extractor, both have the 'auto on' function when a connected machine is turned on, so given your workshop is full of Proxxon gear, what made you choose the Bosch..?

Thanks
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2020, 10:08:38 am »

We paid a much lower price from Poland at the time.
I would do a spec comparison. I use mine to vac the water out of the hot tub pipes at water change time  :-)
ANDY

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.