Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 95028 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2020, 10:30:56 am »

Andy put me onto the Bosch Vac when he found them cheap in Poland. Not only is it a great extractor it has saved our carpets a few times as it’s a wet and dry jobby. We also use the hepta bags inside them and I get very little dust around the house and a happy wife. They are a bit noisy though but we don’t have them on for that long anyway

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2020, 10:44:46 am »

Morning Mark, thanks for this, key phrase and not to be underestimated is '...a happy wife...', she's been less than happy at having fine mahogany dust in places it shouldn't be...

>>:-(

The Bosch sounds like the one to have.  I can keep it in a side room and plumb the hose through (with the 240v power take off) to use as an extractor, that should sort the noise.

Thanks again.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2020, 04:52:34 pm »

Afternoon All

Started to get the first deck ply layer installed, bit of an issue at the stern, I don't seem to have got the planks tight enough to the frames:

So I've used a small saw blade to separate the planks from the transom frame, shape the cutout a bit:

Then clamped and glued it back for a tighter fit, seems fine now:

Have also sanded the deck a little more, its now super smooth, very pleased:

So current overview is this:

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2020, 04:52:38 pm »

Afternoon All

Good progress with a couple of hours of work today, continued with the first layer of deck ply, trimmed it to finish inside the mahogany side planking. Then used a 10 inch piece of ply with some 120 grit paper to get a straight finish at the deck line:

Then started on the mahogany layer:

Some sanding and trimming left to do with the deck, but feels like a bit of a threshold reached, starting to look like a boat...  Only 9 months in...

Best regards to all.
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2020, 06:02:55 pm »

Very nice David looks like great finish already. I wouldn’t worry about the time spent it’s the enjoyment you get from it that counts  :-))   Looking forward to the next update

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2020, 02:53:10 pm »

Hi Mark

Thanks for that, and I am really enjoying the build process.

Made some progress over the weekend with the rear hatch and how it seats in the hull. Getting ready to add the inlay.

And made a start with the stern edge woodwork, should finish that this afternoon:

I've decided to make the fitting of the rear hatch quite robust, so it'll be bolted through the frame immediately forward of the hatch, removable, but strong.  I'm going to add a Ski pole, this needs to go though the rear hatch toward the front. Pics to follow.

Regards to all
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2020, 05:01:18 pm »

Coming along nicely David. Been catching up on the last few posts and had to smile at the scroll saw versus bandsaw discussion as after some thought I went for the scroll saw and it gets a lot of use with all my builds being scratch built. I was going to get a Proxxon but went for a cheaper Record in the end and with decent blades I can't fault it. I've only got the scroll saw and a Proxxon handheld drill (unused!) as dedicated modelling tools but have lots of DIY tools which I make use of.

I cut keels and some decks out in one piece which I don't think you could do with a bandsaw due to their size and needing to cut sideways. A future build is plank on frame but I can't really justify a bandsaw or table saw just for that. I've also managed without a pillar drill so far but will probably get one of those. Trouble is I've got a number of hobbies, some of them quite expensive and have to restrain myself!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2020, 05:08:09 pm »

Hi Chris

First real test for the bandsaw will be the new Saxboards, I did have a play with it over the weekend, its pretty quiet and well made.

Really enjoying this build, so thought I'd splash out as I plan to get more use out of it in future.

And I have a wife to keep me restrained....

%)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2020, 05:19:35 pm »

As do I, who has access to my credit card spending. Probably a good job!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Koinonia

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2020, 04:54:04 pm »

Following this blog with great interest.  Thought you might like the following to save 28gm Just Like That as Tommy Cooper would say.  Instead of using the Amati ply for the cushions in the forward access, I'm using sponge cut from a washing up sponge which I will cover with faux leather.  On pictures of the real boat the cushions are much thicker.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: October 07, 2020, 05:25:09 pm »

Hi Koinonia

Are you building the Riva too...?  What stage are you at..?

And agreed about the seats / cushions, I have used the Amati ply but have drilled it out to halve its weight. Externally, I've only worked on the sundeck cushion so far, but plan to reconstruct all the seating with balsa, foam and faux leather.  The large piece of ply under the cushion has been lightened:

The original from Amati was over 90g, the new one is just over 30g.

I've just been working on the rear hatch, getting the fit right and installing mahogany to cover the ply edges...

And here the rear hatch is in place:

It's ready for the inlay now.

Best regards
David.

Koinonia

• Shipmate
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2020, 05:33:05 pm »

Yes, have joined from the other blog.  Yes am building the Amati Riva.  Just about to start the first planking, decided not to go with extra chine width, but am working hard to reduce weight as much as poss.  Will be using the Amati transmission kit and would appreciate thoughts on this.  I would show pics if I knew how to upload!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2020, 06:06:18 pm »

Hi Koinonia

Just PM'd re images and getting set up.

Regarding the Amati hardware kit, on the plus side it's all going to fit.  On the downside I think it's a bit heavy, I think I recall that the motors are over 200g each, a lot of builders replace the brushed motors with brushless and upgraded ESCs.

There's also this hardware kit:

https://www.krickshop.de/Accessories-Spare-Parts/Accessories-for-Ship-Models/Accessories-for-special-Shipmodels/Motorisierungssatz-ital-Sportboot-25035.htm?shop=krick_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=25036&p=197&rdeocl=1&rdetpl=searchpage&rdebox=box1

Whatever you decide I'm sure it'll be a great and rewarding build.  Welcome..!

Best regards
David.

Koinonia

• Shipmate
« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2020, 08:05:49 pm »

First go using washing up sponges for cushions.  Hope pics load {:-{

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2020, 05:29:54 pm »

Afternoon All

Good to see your build Koinonia, and the swiss cheese approach to Riva building..!

I've used this for the cushions, its a nice even 4mm thick:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044UZWL4

I'm thinking of using it around the motors too toward the end of the build.  I'm using brushless motors and I'd like to suppress the whine...

I've progressed with the rear hatch, the 1x1mm went on first:

I got the fit to the deck ply:

Then started on the inlay:

And it's all in...

So far so good, and pleased that the inlay is symmetrical.  A couple of small gaps that I'll need a magnifying glass to fill...  Then sand flush.  Then a final shaping of the stern.

After that I think it's a move back to the bow to get the Saxboards, Musetto and Cutwater fit sorted.

Best regards to all.
David.

Koinonia

• Shipmate
« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2020, 07:56:23 pm »

Swiss cheese rules ok.  Basic weight as is about 810gm.  Weight of Amati 540 brushed motor is 150gm, and total of 2 motors, brackets, shafts, gears and props 470gm. You have found a very suitable solution to the cushion dilemma.   

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2020, 11:06:33 am »

Morning All

Couple of hours on the Riva this morning, rear hatch I'm finding a challenge. The fit has to be really good to avoid drawing the eye to errors, its the depth of the hatch, the edges, and the limitations for sanding the deck flush as its made from ply with a light coloured core....  Why Amati, why do it..?!?  The top mahogany layer is so thin... Just showing it sandpaper exposes the core.

Anyway, this is as good as I can get it at the moment:

Cream slipway is just to see what it looks like, I built in a thin gap under the mahogany sides of the slipway to allow a good edge (thanks for the tip on that Andy, noticed that on your build...)

Overall effect is coming along nicely I think:

Next week will be back to the bow.
Good weekend to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2020, 11:14:43 am »

Morning All

Been giving thought to the saxboards over the weekend.  There are a couple of issues (same issues documented in other build logs):

1. The Amati kit seems to show the chrome musetto fitting flush to the deck, and has slab sides that then butt up to the saxboards.
2. But the saxboards are higher than the slab side of the musetto. Maybe one is supposed to sand / shape the saxboards to the musetto height.
3. It gets worse, as the real boat (as UKMike points out) has the musetto appearing to sit on the saxboards, like this:

And that appears to be the ideal position as there's a clear run between the musettos rope guides and the cleat that will be on the deck.  With the musetto flush to the deck the anchor hatch would be fouled by an anchor line.

4. But the shape of the Amati musetto when assembled makes this pretty much impossible, it's just a different shape, flatter.
5. I know that Andy (Taranis) has gone some way to raising the musetto by adding a layer of ply between the musetto and the deck. I've done the same in the next pic, and added a section of chrome trim on the port side in the position it will eventually be to cover he hull / deck join:

So, I don't think the Amati musetto can go too much higher as it will leave the chrome rubbing strip too low, and that position is fixed by the deck join..

I have to cut out new saxboards anyway as the supplied versions are radically different colours.  I'm thinking to extend the lower saxboard in length so it sits under the musetto, then shape it when its in place angling it down toward the bow a shade.  The aim being to make the Musetto appear a little higher on the deck.  Then shape the saxboards so they match the musetto. I'll try it and dry fit it to see if it works.

Final thing, to those that have gone before...  Have I got this the right way around, the thin saxboard is the lower of the pair, and the aim is to produce a small overhang..?  Amati instructions say '...Superimposed saxboards form a slot between deck and upper saxboard...'

I think Amati have fudged the bow, its up the the builder to figure out a solution.

Best regards to all
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2020, 11:19:11 am »

Fudge yes that's a good description of Amati  {-) 

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Koinonia

• Shipmate
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2020, 04:13:31 pm »

I have found in my limited experience getting the bow right is probably the hardest part of the model.  Thanks for the heads up on this.  I'm at the first planking stage and concerned about the shape at the bow.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2020, 02:02:32 pm »

Agreed that the bow needs precision and patience in preparing and during the planking.  I found that it needed a lot of care when sanding the frames, I kept testing with a length of plank that the frame was sanded to offer a flat face to the plank.  A section of pool noodle wrapped in sandpaper about a foot long so it spanned a number of frames was very helpful. I used 120 grit followed by 240.

I've been playing with my new toy today, the Proxxon bandsaw.  And created a new set of Saxboards:

Great piece of kit, I glued two 3mm mahogany panels together (outside the footprint of the saxboards...) then ran them through the bandsaw to create a symmetrical pair:

And these have the extra length to support the Musetto:

The Musetto needs to be reshaped a shade, as does the woodwork around to bow to get a good fit, I think its good enough now to install them and finish in place.

The upper edge of the saxboard is now same height as the musetto so can be reduced in height a shade when finishing so the musetto appears to be sitting on the saxboard.  Thats the aim...

Here with a section of the chrome trim held roughly in place too:

Best regards to all
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2020, 05:00:24 pm »

Very nice work and a great solution to your problem  :-))   now you’ve a band saw what your tool collection grow  %%

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2020, 06:03:51 pm »

Hey Mark

Yes....  I'm feeling in urgent need of a disc sander right now...

Wife keeps saying '...but its a kit, why do you need all these tools..?'

{:-{

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: October 16, 2020, 12:18:04 pm »

Afternoon All

Been working on the saxboards this week, another challenging part of the build... (For me.)

Took me a while to visualise in my head what I was trying to achieve. I've aimed to shape the lower part of the saxboard to the deck shape, to end up with the top surface pretty much horizontal across the beam.

Started out bonding the two layers:

Outer edges aligned, so there's a notch on the inner edge:

Then its case of profiling the lower edge to the deck shape:

And once there's no gap visible between deck and saxboard, reach for the glue / clamps and I needed masking tape too to get the shape held...

(Should have mentioned, I kept testing the bow cutout for the musetto, its deliberately just too small at this stage to allow final positioning.)

Both saxboards in place, and edge tidied up:

Then marked out a limit for the rounding to be applied to the outer edge of the saxboards:

Followed by edge sanding and filling a couple of areas around the bow and edge where the saxboard meets the deck:

Hoping to get a final fit sorted for the musetto later, if I do I'll post the result.

One other event this week, I had a modest dremel multi tool clone from Amazon, it died on Wednesday, so as Mark predicted...  A Proxxon 230/E is now on order...

Best regards to all
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: October 16, 2020, 12:41:55 pm »

Glad you're enjoying your new toy, soon to be toys! Maybe I'll get a band saw at some point!

The bow looks to be coming together nicely now, great workmanship.

Chris

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.