Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 95029 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #325 on: March 12, 2021, 04:01:16 pm »

Afternoon All

A Friday update. Been getting the electrical system into a state that can be integrated with the hull.  Its still a work in progress, but this is where I'm at:

At the top is the aluminium case for the speed controllers, I'm going to bring the motor cables and Rx wires out through grommets, the power in via the two panel mounted XT60s on top of the case.  ESCs are not waterproof and I'll rely on the case as a heatsink, if this proves inadequate I'll water cool it.

Two Lipos in the centre, then two panel mount plastic cases left and right.  Left houses Rx, bilge monitor and dock light switch. Right houses Nav / dash light switch and sound system, cables are brought round to the left case to plug into Rx.

They'll be mounted like this:

And fit like this:

I'm hoping to hide most of the cabling eventually.

Best regards to all.
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #326 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:55 pm »

Very impressive David.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: March 12, 2021, 04:32:54 pm »

Thanks Chris, I'm really hoping it works out OK. Will be adding in line fuses and rechecking it all before I dare plug it all in....

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2021, 05:44:21 pm »

Slow but steady progress with the electronics.  I've powered them up, no smoke...!

Motors are both installed, and the electronics cases are mounted outboard of the Lipos, removable, but tucked out of the way. Not a lot of room in this hull:

Just making sure all the cabling is in and routed through frames OK, then some sealing to be done.

Need to add some split tube for the Lipos to sit on.

ESCs will be next, aft of the motors, forward of the Lipos.

Regards to all
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2021, 06:20:09 pm »

Looks very neat and tidy with all those electronics tucked away!

Forgive my ignorance but by “split tube” do you mean the buoyancy pool noodle type or is it something else?
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2021, 07:02:02 pm »

Hi Stuw

Thanks, it was the only space I could see in that aft section to use, normally its just wasted space.  But to be honest the Amati build is so robust once the double planking is done the frames are not really needed at their original dimensions. (In my opinion..)

And I wasn't very clear about the tube reference.  I will use some 3mm soft pipe, split it along its length, then put it over the frames where they're cut out for the Lipos and glue it down so the lipos don't sit directly on the wood.  Aim is to stop the lipos being damaged, and make a more snug fit to stop them moving around.

Where are you in Surrey..? I'm in Hersham.  When the world is normal I go over to the boating lake at Bushy Park, but have been in contact with the Pheonix MBC as they operate on the Silvermere lake just 5 mins from me.

Best regards
David.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: March 24, 2021, 07:19:27 pm »

They are very nice people at the Phoenix club, you will have fun....when all is normal  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2021, 09:06:46 am »

I see ref the pipe. Mine (in a totally different type of boat to your fine example) will be on a flat plate of ply but will use some thin grip drawer insert rubber mat to stop mine sliding.

I’m Woking area so not too far from you. I haven’t got any membership anywhere and will end up with my Javelin hopefully working at some point this year but appreciate not all clubs like fast boats. Not that I’m planning to do drag races, I’m a cautious type so will keep the speed within my own capability.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: March 25, 2021, 09:24:56 am »

Morning Stuw

Woking, not too far away at all.  I had a chat with one of the Pheonix guys.  They don't like speed at Silvermere either, don't want to dice the Carp...  I'm thinking that with the Riva its quite happy to run at a restricted pace in exchange for an outing in really pleasant surroundings.  Then Bushy Park or somewhere else when there's a 'need for speed'...  Any Clubs / lakes close to Woking for faster models..?

And Phil, thanks for the comment, I'm looking forward to getting down to Silvermere to meet some of the folks.  Some fine models based on what I've seen online.

Best regards
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #334 on: March 25, 2021, 12:25:44 pm »

I haven’t done any research into where to sail.

Sounds strange perhaps but my driving reason to get on here and start tinkering with my 25+ year old model was to give me something to do whilst things aren’t so busy at work! As my progress is very slow, I’m still enjoying just plodding along whilst reading the amazing progress people like yourself are making with their outstanding models!

Years ago I used Bolder Mere near Wisley off the A3 with the glowfuel motor but I believe [size=78%]it is forbidden to do this to protect the wildlife which I understand. It looks like there is a boating lake in Goldsworth Park near me but I need to look into it some more at some point. [/size]

Is Bushy Park a free for all? I don’t know if I should have insurance of some sort as well?

Anyway sorry to deviate a little from your lovely build but you did ask!  {-)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: March 25, 2021, 05:35:38 pm »

Hi Stuw

No worries at all, we have to be able to use the boats once we've built them..!

Interesting about Bolder Mere, I'll look into that too.  And would be good to know about Goldsworth Park if you find out anything.

Bushy Park is indeed a free for all as far as I know.  I've sailed with others there on a Sunday morning, its all pretty informal. (Anyone else know different..?)

Insurance... Back in the day I raced Multi boats and had MPBA (Model Power Boat Association) insurance cover via my local boat club membership.  Most model clubs offer this to members I think.  It's also possible to get individual insurance.  I guess compared to Multi boats I feel the scale electrics are less of a public liability risk, that was the big worry (til someone corrects me...) But you raise a good point.  There's also the value of the boats in case of loss.  Something to think about for sure. I just had a look at Pheonix MBC membership it does offer Public Liability cover.

http://myc.aoxomoxoa.co/pmmc/index.php?title=Information

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2021, 03:48:32 pm »

Afternoon All

More progress with mounting the ESCs.  They're now in a lightened aluminium case, not exactly waterproof, but splash proof for sure, and hopefully providing the passive cooling. The ESCs are attached to the case with thermal pads to improve heat transfer. They're providing their temperature telemetry so I'll be able to see how the cooling is going.

A pair of panel mount XT60s on top, this has had the mill lightening treatment after this picture was taken:

And the result ready for installation:

Next task is getting the three electronics cases installed, the hull is desperately tight for space so its not straightforward.

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #337 on: April 02, 2021, 06:50:34 pm »

Evening All

Good day today. All running hardware is pretty much fitted, and running...

And tipping the scales at 3.6kg. I'm reasonably pleased with that at this stage of the build. It's mainly lightweight aesthetic fittings to go.

Water pipes and pump are in too. I just need to seal the exhausts then a float test to see how it sits and runs. I'll post that as a video.

Best regards to all.
David.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #338 on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:13 pm »

David that is one gorgeous boat mate  :-))   Blimey that is dedication to get things right!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2021, 08:02:38 pm »

Thanks for that Mark. Appreciated.

Maiden voyage of sorts today. Had the boat in the hot tub to see the waterline, and a little play...
https://youtu.be/ktwcbaGs0hI
Plenty more to do, but good to know it floats...  :-))
David.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2021, 09:21:33 pm »

What a beauty you've created and in your 'basin' trials she looks (and sounds) like she's raring to go  O0 .
Fantastic job  :-))

Ray.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2021, 09:58:05 pm »

Awesome job David  8)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2021, 11:08:32 pm »

Even with the weight of the build, albeit lightened, and all the equipment installed, it's good to see it sitting just as it should on the water.

And it looks as though you've nailed the fine, slow speed control that you wanted.

Nice one! Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2021, 08:36:58 am »

Morning All

Thanks for the kind words and support..!
And while most of it went well.
There is an issue that concerns me... I think I've screwed up the alignment of the rubbing strips that come forward from the stern. They should be parallel with the waterline, and they're not...
I think I've taken measurements from the revised chine, and that's caused them to drop at the forward end.

I'm thinking that they need to come off, and new ones placed properly and that's not ideal... the waterline paintwork has to flow from the line of those strips, and right now that's not going to work.

They're not going to come off without a fight.
 {:-{
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #344 on: April 06, 2021, 09:07:04 am »

Possibly you are a little high out of the water at the stern?
ANDY

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #345 on: April 06, 2021, 09:31:31 am »

Will it not sit right when the boat goes on the plane ?
Steamed up all the time

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #346 on: April 06, 2021, 10:44:49 am »

Hi Phil

You're right it probably will be OK on the plane, the problem will be when stationary or at low speed.

The problem will be following the line of the rubbing strips / fenders with paint.  If I maintain a straight line forward (from the lower edge of the rubbing strip / fender), which I should, it ends up very low at the bow, too low.  And a waterline can't really have a bend in it.

Andy, I can see that yours follows the planking line.  Mine doesn't...  I have 25mm from rubbing strip / fender to chine at the stern, and 20mm at the forward end... I can see now I've just put them on at the wrong angle.

If I were to take them off and raise the forward end to match the waterline I need, the 'disturbed' area would end up being painted over with white anyway so not so noticeable.  I think they'd have to be planed off as they're well attached, but not pinned.  Make up a new set, varnish them off the hull, then attach, at the end of the day they're cosmetic.  If I did this again I'd think hard about leaving attaching them til after the float test.

I'll leave the decision a little while I think and get the boat up to full weight and balance. The exhausts are aluminium at the moment, they're going to be replaced with chrome over thin brass, so a bit heavier.  Stern hatch and sundeck will add some weight, but I fear most additional weight will now be in the main seating area, forward of the current CoG so problem will now get worse rather than better.

Regards to all.
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #347 on: April 06, 2021, 10:54:28 am »

I didn’t use my planking as a guide, I marked the water line with masking tape and used that to go by.
I’m sure you’ll do what’s right in the end having worked so hard  :-))

Mine are pointing down in relation to the planks but I also have my chines added to the hull bottom so my side steps may look higher than they are
ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #348 on: April 08, 2021, 02:13:37 pm »

Hi All

So I've been adding things (toys...) to the build, but haven't forgotten that shedding weight where possible is a good idea with this hull.

So, some of the original 'deck cushions':

And the new ones from neoprene and faux leather:

I'm not following the original build in terms of colours.  Mine will be mainly this cream for all upholstery, with red accents.

Regards to all.
David.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #349 on: April 08, 2021, 02:25:48 pm »

That's quite a saving when weight is critical - nice one  :-))

Ray.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.