Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 95026 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #400 on: May 24, 2021, 10:33:37 am »

Morning All

Waiting for some free time and better weather to do some water tests. Here's a few pics of the pretty much finished running gear:

Regards to all.
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2021, 08:06:52 am »

Looks ready!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2021, 08:52:15 pm »

Got the Aquarama wet today..! (18 months since opening the box...)

Went pretty well. No water inside, always good. Waterline is good, some more fittings to be added so hull will eventually sit a little lower. Slight list to port, not sure why but will keep that in mind. Water pump works as does the sound system. Motor and ESCs did get warm so I will route some water to them. Motors only drew 9A as a maximum, so I may look as coarser props. Top speed was OK. But could do with a little more, especially if pulling a skier. I guess I might not need the 3:2 reduction that I built in, could even try reversing the gears for a higher shaft speed... Some options to think about.

Outing was to the Elmbridge Model Club lake at Egham. I'm not a member yet, but a very warm welcome from the guys down there. And a very impressive collection of IC powerboats...

I'm pleased with the chine mods, water is deflected out and down and the hull rides high and dry. Doesn't dig in on the turns, and handles well at all speeds.

And a video if anyone's interested...

https://youtu.be/iOqXcmdjqSs

Now the work on the details and fittings....

Regards to all
David.

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2021, 09:27:14 pm »

That's looking really nice on the water.

A lovely job  :-))

Ralph

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2021, 09:45:07 pm »

Congratulations David  :-))  very nice
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2021, 11:37:22 pm »

Superb on water video David

.......lumpy engine tick over  :-)) ......[bang-clang]   ....then from ...10 to 40 seconds, I thought she had a terminal transmission failure >>:-(
.......until she turned & went ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM O0  [into the distance]

Derek

PS.....may need to periodically check those Teflon washers at the propellers as any increase in speed/thrust may have a tendency to squeeze the thickness of the washers ...I suppose any increase in diameter could be a tell tale!
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #406 on: June 01, 2021, 01:53:55 pm »

Afternoon All

Thanks for the comments.

The early part of the video was the boat doing a 270 degree rotation on shafts only. I haven't had chance to check the running gear over but will be doing now it's had a run. The majority of the thrust should be passed to the motor mounts, so hopefully the Teflon washers remain intact. But I'll be checking for sure.

The sound system could do with tweaking a bit. It's not going up the rev range far enough. Having said that it's only at low speed and near the bank that it's really going to be heard.

I don't Iike the brushless whine... the motors are rigidly mounted, so not sure what I can really do at this stage. As has been suggested. I'll try to start thinking of it as turbos doing their thing.

Props are 1415 Prop Shop items, I've ordered a set of 1517 items with a bit more pitch to see how they perform.

Regards to all.
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2021, 09:23:36 am »

Looks and sounds good but I see what you mean about the brushless motors whining! Not sure how to stop it though unless you change gear ratios to drop the motor revs? Or maybe increase them in case there is a harmonic being set up? Haven’t a clue but looks fantastic and that boating lake looks good.

I wonder if that might be a good venue for my Javelin if/when I get it finished? I’m wary of the fact my controlling skills are a bit rusty and wouldn’t want to embarrass myself.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2021, 09:52:23 am »

I believe it’s the esc’s that create the whine. Not really much you can do about it.
Also get the whine on brushed motors from esc’s like Mtronics as I discovered in a tug I bought built.

ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2021, 10:53:42 am »

Hi Chaps

The EBC lake at Egham is very good, lakeside parking, rescue boat, landing stage.  And I believe the club owns it plus some of the land around it.

I think I have to accept the sound with this build. I think you are right about the ESCs Andy, I tweaked the ESCs I thought to be outside hearing range, but maybe not... I was thinking that as I'm using a gearbox that supports the prop shaft on ball races, it could be them. I've a mind to learn from this build and scale up the Amati plans to 1/6 or 1/7, and try to iron out some of the issues.

Regards
David.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2021, 10:57:22 am »

As you know mine is direct drive but its just as noisy due to the frequency of the sound. However out on the water its barely noticeable.

Bigger is so much better  O0  but I have too many models to make to devote to one

ANDY

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2021, 09:24:33 am »

Morning All

Not had much time with the Aquarama of late. I've been spending some time with the Cutwater. Its been curved and then soft solder spot filleted to hold it together, then fitted a little better and once the final shape arrived at, a full fillet of soft solder run up the inside. I used a soldering iron, and then a small torch to flow the solder.  I've deliberately filled the screw holes at the leading edge. They're so close to the leading edge it's going to be very tricky to get screws into them, real or just decorative heads.  I was going to re drill them a little further away from the edge, but I actually like the cleaner look:

I'm still in the process of drilling out all the holes, then countersinking the cutwater for the 1.2mm CS SS Screws. For the final fit I'll add some epoxy to the screw threads to seal as they go. (Unless anyone has a better plan...)

[size=78%]

The filled and buffed screw holes are just visible in the pic above, in reality they're very hard to see.

Very best regards to all.
David.[/size]

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #412 on: June 27, 2021, 06:40:12 pm »

Evening All
Been looking at the various rubbing strips.  Amati provide some white plastic and suggest painting it chrome. I purchased some chrome car trim, but decided to try 4mm brass D section. I milled out a 4mm slot in some nylon to hold the brass for drilling ready for 1.2mm SS screws.

This is the stern water level rubbing strips / fenders.

And the first deck level rubbing strip.

Strips will then be chromed before final fitting.

Best regards to all
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #413 on: June 28, 2021, 10:48:53 am »

This looks extremely high quality to complement the rest of your work!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: June 30, 2021, 10:43:38 am »

Hey Stuw

Thanks for that.  Slow progress...  Not sure if its just that time of the year, or a bit busier with business, but a bit frustrated here at the lack of time I have for the boat...

I've now got the starboard rubbing strip drilled / twisted / shaped / polished and temporarily fitted.  Pleased to be using the brass, its going to look the part when chromed.

Not too happy with the Amati Musetto up at the bow.  I know UKMike has created his own for his 1/6 build. The Amati version is made up of 3 cast pieces in this version of the kit.  Giving some thought as to how it could be created in brass.

Best regards to all.
David.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #415 on: June 30, 2021, 10:32:07 pm »

Hi David.

If you do make a new Musetto I would recommend that you use Copper plate. It anneals to a far softer / pliable state than Brass and stays annealed for far longer, allowing you to manipulate it more. Brass hardens very quickly and doesn't like re bending / shaping without re annealing, particularly on a smaller scale pieces.

Just as a matter of interest, the fixed inverted Chevron louvres on the full size Musetto were for allowing air into the FWD cabin which intern had closable / adjustable louvres, operated from the inside, hence the need for the black paint behind the Chevrons.

Boat looks superb.

Mike.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #416 on: July 03, 2021, 04:31:28 pm »

Hi David

Just catching up with the forum and I agree with Mike about the use of copper, it's far easier to work with and is just a more malleable metal.

And yea - it does look superb  :-))

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2021, 06:00:08 pm »

Hi All

So...  No real excuses for being AWOL, the real world just keeps getting in the way... But hoping to get back on with the build.

Not tackled the Musetto yet, in copper or brass...

I've made a few tweaks to bring on the skiing hardware, detailed on separate thread: [size=78%]https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=64973[/size]

I do have a couple of the larger diameter and increased pitch props delivered from Prop Shop:

Original 1415 on the right, new 1517 on the left. Should give a bit more bite.  I need to make up some small spacers for the shafts as the blades are a bit too close to the hull for comfort...   {:-{

I've taken delivery of some sheet ply and MDF to put together a storage and transport case. I'm not sure at the moment whether to make it top or side loading for the boat.  Any words of wisdom..?

I've also noticed that the varnish has now cured a lot harder, so will be giving it another machine polish before too long.

Very best regards to all
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #418 on: November 05, 2021, 04:54:54 pm »

Afternoon All

Some progress to report.  The Aquarama now has a removable Ski pole, with removable Ski line, and control lines going from the two servos under the pole to the ski handle.  Work on the skis and skier are ongoing.  I did question myself for doing this work at this stage, the ski arrangement is a functional part of the build, so I think best to do it before a lot of the detailing.

Control lines go inside the main ski line.

Regards to all.
David.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: November 05, 2021, 11:59:28 pm »

Possibly a selfish point David, but I would not like to see a model skier get tangled up in the ski rope & the drive shaft & doing damage to the drive >>:-(
Skiers are a dime a dozen [just watch them by the shoreline], a drive shaft is unique  :-)) 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #420 on: November 06, 2021, 08:26:02 am »

Hi Derek, agreed, that would not be a good outcome. I'll check to see whether the line floats, that would be helpful.  But whether it does or not,  with skier in the water some tension can be maintained in the line with a small dose of forward throttle. It's going to be interesting...  :-))

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #421 on: November 18, 2021, 10:31:07 am »

Finally making a little progress on the Aquarama.  I've stripped out most of the electronics so I can route the wires correctly and mainly out of sight.

Added cooling to the motor mounts:

I've started looking at the upholstery, sun deck and coaming padding to start...  I'm using 2mm Plastazote sheets as a backing for the faux leather.  Original Amati rubber version on top, my version beneath, this is a sample piece but I think it looks OK, now working on the real pieces.  Bit of a weigh saving here too, the Amati pieces are quite heavy.

Regards to all
David.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #422 on: November 18, 2021, 09:34:45 pm »

David,

i think your padding looks more realistic than the amati original.  more "fabric-y"

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #423 on: November 19, 2021, 11:07:51 am »

David

Looks good. How do you form the "seams"?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #424 on: November 19, 2021, 06:11:17 pm »

Hi Chris

I contact glued the faux leather to the plastazote foam, then used this:

With a clamp for a few hours, then worked along...  Seems to retain the indent OK...

Can't claim credit for the approach, saw it on another Aquarama build, a German link I think.  Will make up a larger version for the seats, I thought the coaming padding was an easier place to start.  Will post the full padding set when its ready.

Best regards
David.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.