Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23   Go Down

Author Topic: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...  (Read 94983 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: David's Amati Riva Aquarama Build - With some mods...
« Reply #425 on: November 19, 2021, 09:27:08 pm »

Thanks David

Seems like a good approach for when I finally get to the seating etc. in my various Fairey builds. Look forward to seeing how you deal with the seats.

I thought that some sort of heating had been employed - I never would have thought of producing the desired effect like that - shows how good it is to learn from others.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #426 on: November 20, 2021, 08:33:01 am »

Indeed. I’d imagined a soldering iron dangled nearby but this method gives you a great result! Nice work
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #427 on: November 20, 2021, 08:48:49 am »

Morning Both

I was thinking that there are some sections that will probably need a heat gun to help the material soften to allow it to conform to a smooth curve without wrinkling. The deck of the Aquarama across its beam has a lovely shape. I'm thinking glue the foam to the faux leather, soften the faux leather in the curved areas, conform it to wrap around the foam backing, then clamp it.

But maybe you're right. Generally adding some heat would shorten the clamping time when applying the indents, I'll try that and report back.  :-))

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #428 on: November 21, 2021, 05:24:46 pm »

Had a couple of hours on the boat upholstery today.

Trimmed the 2mm plastazote sheet to the shapes of the cockpit and sundeck coaming.  Contact adhesive to attach the foam to the faux leather material. Then trimmed the faux leather to allow it to be folded over the edge of the fom, and glued. Just had to slice the overlap in a couple of places around the curved areas to persuade it to take the correct shape.

I've added a few more 'teeth' to the indent tool so I can clamp about 20 indents at a time. I'm heating a little to soften the faux leather (thanks Chris...) Then clamping for a few hours or overnight. Seems to be doing the job.

This is a fit check for the cockpit coaming before the indents are applied:

Best regards
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #429 on: November 21, 2021, 05:54:22 pm »

Glad to help, even if it was a guess! Where do you get your Plastazote and faux leather from?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #430 on: November 21, 2021, 07:11:11 pm »

Hi Chris

This is the 2mm foam:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0074GOJ1E

And the Faux Leather. I think its same as UKMike uses. It's the thinnest I've seen, you can order a small sample. Then if its right I ordered a 1mx1.4m piece.  I used light cream, and some of the red too as a highlight and piping.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OYTSVN6

Best regards
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #431 on: November 21, 2021, 07:41:36 pm »

Thanks David, that's great.

I might get my wife interested once I get to the upholstery!

Chris

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2021, 03:54:04 pm »

Afternoon All

Dry fit at the moment, but I think the sundeck surround is coming along:

Also working on the aluminium case that holds the ESCs. I've decided to add two 20mm fans to draw air though the case. It got a bit warm on the test run.  Its not ideal, I wanted to use water cooling but couldn't think how to do it with the volume constraints in the case.  The case will still act as a heatsink and also a duct for the airflow.  I'm thinking maybe a temperature sensor to power up the fans, either standalone or using the ESCs own telemetry...

Putting the indents on the cockpit coaming now and will post again when its all ready.

Regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #433 on: November 24, 2021, 02:29:39 pm »

OK, still dry fit for the time being, but now the coaming for the cockpit and sun deck are done.

Onto the seating, a sterner test I think...

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #434 on: November 28, 2021, 08:04:21 pm »

Evening All
A few hours of progress over the weekend.
I've added in three more sensor points for detection of water in the Bilge. These are now by each of the rudders and prop shaft seals. They come back to the port electronics case then via an Arduino to register as telemetry on the transmitter.

Also finished the ESC case mods. The pair of fans, and I've ditched the solid mount. It makes for a better airflow and cable route. But also allows the ESC case to be isolated from the hull using some of the foam. If the ESCs are contributing to the high frequency sounds, this might help.

To keep power consumption down I've decided to  control when the fans are active using a logical switch in OpenTX that monitors the ESC temperatures, so when they hit a set temperature, the fans power up.

I have added some of the faux leather to the sundeck surround to get a better finish.

I've started to create a new tool to apply the cushioning indents to the cockpit seats. Will then start to experiment...

Regards to all
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #435 on: November 30, 2021, 01:35:23 pm »

I've made up the wider tool for applying the seat indents and used it on a test piece.  This test piece is 5mm balsa and 5mm Plastazote foam.

Then clamped overnight to get the indents into the foam.

Resulting in this, which is a start...

Then added some UHU Power glue.

Added the faux leather and clamped for about 2 hours...

And this is the result.

And I'm happy with that.  I'm hoping that the glue with go some way to stabilising the indents, I'll leave it a few days and we'll see.

On another matter, I thought the Aquarama deserved a proper stand as its got this far.  So I've made one up that resembles a hauling out sled (well I think it does...).

Its going to get a coat of grey, and the areas that touch the hull will get some padding.

Best regards to all.
David.

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2021, 04:54:03 pm »

Wonderful work! Still Enjoying the photos of your progress.
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #437 on: December 01, 2021, 07:19:08 pm »

Brilliant  :-))
Steamed up all the time

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #438 on: December 05, 2021, 05:16:39 pm »

Afternoon All

Thanks for the comments chaps, trying hard to do the Riva justice..!

Stand is now complete in grey, and padded to protect the hull.  (ESC case in the background)

And now the fans have been installed for the ESC cooling, I've added the electronics and reinstalled all the RC hardware, I can feel another test coming on when weather allows.

Added some polystyrene under the batteries, and filled the volume forward of the motors too, hoping that will stop some of the whine...  Also added sound absorbing foam around the motors.

There's a lot shoehorned into this hull, and that's one of the reasons for considering a larger build.

Very best regards to all
David.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #439 on: December 05, 2021, 10:43:40 pm »

Looks superb on the dull steel toned stand David  :-)) .......

Just a question, not sure how dusty your home is?, but best make sure it's your job to dust the vessel.... O0

[background to this is ....many years ago, my better 1/2 & new to the latest computers saw it as her task to clean the matt black Hewlett Packard vertical desktop with Mr Sheen {aerosol fluro teflon furniture spray polish}.....well all this was OK until the mouse refused to work :o

Yes, in those days with a Track Balled mouse + Mr Sheen on the Mouse Mat made such a slippery surface, the ball just refused to rotate]  >>:-(

Looking forward to seeing your Riva on the water again

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2021, 01:41:34 pm »

Hi Derek

I'm thinking that the Aquarama will need a case for transport, just too much work gone into it for it to be dropped or dropped on, or gnawed by the dog...   <:(

In terms of day to day, it'll be banished from the house anyway, so hopefully away from domestic catastrophe, fine by me... 

I've started to look at the seat heights required, the original units are not only really heavy rubber / plastic, but based on my 1/10 scale figures they would need unfeasibly long legs on the figures to get near the deck.  So new seats will try to address this, and position the figures in credible positions.

So, two of my (put off as long as possible) challenges now coming up.  Making the seating, and painting the figures so they look human as opposed to alien.  They're from a German website (following a recommendation on the forum), cast rather than 3D printed I think, need some trimming but otherwise can't complain. (There's an option to buy them complete and painted, I should have done that...)

https://www.dsd-uhlig.de/Figuren/M-1-10

And yes, I hope to have another trial outing over Christmas if the weather allows.  Far closer to final weight now, and two coarser props to test.

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #441 on: December 10, 2021, 07:01:30 pm »

Some progress on the seating and the crew.
A bit of surgery required to reduce the arm length on the helmsman...

To arrive at:

And in the boat:

The seating is work in progress. This is the bench seat in the cockpit, 2mm balsa and 5mm foam. Thanks to UKMike for showing how he used a router to radius the foam.

I'm building the inner seats. Then will add the arms.

This is the faux leather being added. And ready to clamp.

I'm trying to make the seat and seat back in one to keep indents lined up.

Hope to get more time over the weekend to make more progress.

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #442 on: December 15, 2021, 08:14:20 pm »

Evening All

Getting to grips with the seating now. Balsa base, then the foam, then glue, faux leather and clamp to get the indents.

And I've found a few ways not to paint the figures... Then also realised that they needed a proper degreasing to get rid of release agent... and have now started again by spraying a light coat of spray plastic primer from plastikote. That seems light enough to leave the textures and features while covering and adhering well.

So my plan now is to add a couple of spray white coats over the primer, then pick out the details with acrylics and finish with a matt clearcote to seal. As always, we'll see if that works...

Also have to work on the seat arms.

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #443 on: December 23, 2021, 03:10:49 pm »

Afternoon All

Painting of the crew continues...

I'm finding new ways not to cover the arms of the seats...  The way to get a good clean result that I'm happy with still eludes me, the contours are difficult to cover without folds or cuts...

Fit checking of the windscreen and deck cushion, and taking another look at that musetto...

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #444 on: December 29, 2021, 07:46:27 pm »

Evening All

Hope everyone has been enjoying some time out over Christmas...  Not been going out much here, so some time to work on the crew...

Both 95% of the way at the moment.  Painted in Acrylics, once finished will be matt clearcoated to seal.  I've used some water slide transfer paper for some of the detailing, his epaulets, watch and cap badge, and both of their eyes.  I'm thinking of adding some magnets to them so they stay put in the seats.

And Santa was kind...

Very best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #445 on: December 30, 2021, 05:11:19 pm »

Afternoon All

Finished the crew figures for now. And this is how they look in the Aquarama. Two coats of matt clearcote applied to waterproof them.

I think I may change the mobile phone for a glass of champagne... More fitting.

Working on the seats again now. Still not happy with the sides... Will also look to get the windscreen attached. Also remodeling the skier figure. Had to alter the angle of her legs, lengthen them, have inserted carbon rods into her legs and will use milliput to sculpt them back. Bit trial and error...

I find it better on some of these tasks to flip between them, gives time to think about best approaches rather than steam on regardless...

Just realised it's been two years in build...

Very best to all
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #446 on: January 05, 2022, 12:58:54 pm »

Afternoon All

Been working on the windscreen, getting the screen attached to the frame.

Bit painstaking using cyanoacrylate, it clouds the clear screen if it gets on any visible areas, so very little used.

And then ready to bond to the boat...

And the tape came off this morning.

Seems a reasonable fit, some gap visible but that will disappear under the trim.

Also progress with the driver and passenger seats, this is the base attachment points:

Then the bases have some magnets built in and are installed:

The bases have a recess that matches a plate on the base of the seats to align them,  then magnets to hold the seats to the bases:

And installed:

I did this for a couple of reasons.  They are now easily removed, but firm...  Also, I plan to add some magnets to the driver and passenger, (don't ask where...) so they will again be easily placed, but in the case of the passenger in particular, I can build in seating options (magnets..) in various places to give different seating options.

Still having all sorts of issue with the side arms of the seats...    :((

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #447 on: January 07, 2022, 12:02:24 pm »

Afternoon All

Windscreen is now fully installed complete with the kit supplied trim. I used UHU Power glue applied to the trim in small quantity then able to work from the centre and clamp.  I did have to dry fit the upper and lower trim to get some cut outs in the right place to keep it flush before fixing.

I used a bit of white Milliput epoxy to finish the ends:

An so here's the current overview:

Water Skier is on the window sill in a couple of shots above, very much work in progress following some major surgery...

I've got the parts for a new Musetto cut out, will get them silver soldered to see if I can improve on the original, that's next task, and of course the seat arms...

Anyone else reading this got one of these Amati kits in build..?

Very best regards to all.
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #448 on: January 07, 2022, 01:34:32 pm »

Looking good as always.

Did you make the windscreen?

Chris

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #449 on: January 07, 2022, 02:12:12 pm »

Hi Chris

Thanks.  And no, the windscreen, frame and trim are all parts of the Amati kit.  I think the screen is just clear 1mm (ish) acetate. The frame, its been chromed, its quite stiff but can be bent and holds its shape, could be thin brass, not sure. The upper trim looks custom made, its moulded rubber of some sort, 'L' section with cut outs where required for some tabs on the frame that hold the screen. Lower trim is plastic, 'L' section shaped again, not really ideal material as it doesn't allow flush fitting due to all the curves of the screen in one axis and the deck in another...  But it looks OK when complete so I'm happy with it.

Best regards
David.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.