Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting ply hull  (Read 1486 times)

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Painting ply hull
« on: January 14, 2020, 11:19:23 am »

Hi. I am building a Gary Webb schooner Annie which has a large ply hull and deck.I am sealing the ply with a penetrating epoxy sealer before painting. The American designer suggests using "a quality oil based enamel".I would be greatfull for any advice on what paint to use ? Was hoping to use spry cans?Many thanks, Peter

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Painting ply hull
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 12:24:40 pm »

Yes, spray cans are fine.  Gently rub down the epoxy coat first to take off any dust or stuff that has got stuck there.  Use a primer and be prepared to rub down and respray a couple of times to remove any blemishes before you go on to the top coats.  Many use Halfords cans, not the cheapest but reliable quality and a wide choice of colours.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Greg

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 03:20:47 pm »

Peter,
I'm still a firm believer in using a couple of coats of dope based sanding sealer,  on all woods to seal the grain,  prior  to laying on tissue/ fabric and epoxy. I think that it gives a stronger more resiliant finish before painting.

David.

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:17:28 pm »

Thanks Greg, exactly the reassurance I was looking for.I have been looking at your J class build which is fantastic. I have owned,refubished, sailed both motor and sail boats all my life and when I finaly had to stop started bulding models.A year ago i discoverd RC sail racing and started with a RG65 and then on Old IOM which I completly rebuilt and now sail them both regulalry so its realy interesting to see how you dealt with the RC on the J class.
The "Annie" project is a combination of large scale model boat building and RC sailing which is what I was looking for. I did seriously look at the J class but felt it was,with my advanced years probably a bit ambitious and that I needed a project that I could afford to fail at.I have not been on the site for a some time but will try and put couple of pics if I can sort how to do it.Thanks again and many congratulations on the J class buildPeter

peterpan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:57:01 pm »

Thanks for response mogurnda. I understand where you are coming from but this hull is large and built from thick ply which when sailed needs to be very strong (and may get the odd knock)and its a much bigger area than I have done before. so I think I only need to seal and fill the grain to get best paint finish I can
i do value your input.Thank you Peter

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 05:22:01 pm »

Chech the compatability of the paint parts.
Sanding sealer is a celulose based product.
Just try a seperate test piece and leave somewhere warm for a few days to really check.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.