Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spektrum DX6i fault  (Read 3160 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Spektrum DX6i fault
« on: January 04, 2020, 04:54:26 pm »

Coincidentally with the other topic concerning Spektrum TX compatibility with ACTION P94 I have had a problem with my little used DX6i today where the rudder (aileron) channel has developed a fault. Swapping the servo and RX and testing on other channels confirmed it is the horizontal right hand stick and a bit of Googling threw up the probability of a faulty pot on the gimbal.

I have emailed Al's Hobbies (who do Spektrum repairs) to see if this is something they can sort out. Even several years down the line it is a relatively expensive TX and I have three Spektrum and one Lemon RXs which work with it so I don't want to bin it.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Spektrum DX6i fault
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 05:19:17 pm »

You may be able to fix it yourself Colin

See after 3 mins
 https://youtu.be/pileM8OT8LM

This guy says same, clean the contacts in the pot
https://youtu.be/dOr8LAjvA0M
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 05:24:53 pm »

done this several times.  its not as daunting as you think.take your time and its relatively easy.  ps if you lived nearer i would volunteer to do it for you.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 05:25:29 pm »

A faulty pot would likely explain the problems that Dean Lock is having with his Dx6E. I was going to suggest that you might contact Mike Ridley of Model Radio Workshop but his website advises that he can't repair these due to a lack of spares. He does suggest you contact Logic RC on 01992 558226. That said, a linear rotary pot is a pretty general component (c/w say a stick moulding) so it shouldn't be beyond the capability of a decent electronics engineer to replace the one in your tranny.

I can almost hear Malcolm Frary saying "If you can get at the pot then a good squirt of switch-cleaner and a few hearty wiggles of the stick might sort it"!
DaveM
(Just seen Andy Waters' posting - great minds think alike?  8) )

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 05:27:55 pm »

In the first video he suggests it's necessary to remove the springs? seems tosh to me when he just wants to open the pot up.
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 06:07:40 pm »

Thanks for the help guys, I will give it a go when we hopefully have some daylight tomorrow. I'm used to removing gimbal assemblies and the vids show what to look for. Last time I did it was on a Saturn 4Ch from Howes. I needed to convert from ratchet to spring throttle but the conversion kit is no longer available so I swapped the ratchet for the spring on the other axis - very fiddly but it worked. This looks pretty straightforward by comparison - famous last words...

That said, a linear rotary pot is a pretty general component (c/w say a stick moulding) so it shouldn't be beyond the capability of a decent electronics engineer to replace the one in your tranny.

Dave, apparently Spectrum used a non standard pot size which is unobtainable and a source of much gnashing of teeth.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 07:43:24 pm »

A faulty pot would likely explain the problems that Dean Lock is having with his Dx6E. I was going to suggest that you might contact Mike Ridley of Model Radio Workshop but his website advises that he can't repair these due to a lack of spares. He does suggest you contact Logic RC on 01992 558226. That said, a linear rotary pot is a pretty general component (c/w say a stick moulding) so it shouldn't be beyond the capability of a decent electronics engineer to replace the one in your tranny.

I can almost hear Malcolm Frary saying "If you can get at the pot then a good squirt of switch-cleaner and a few hearty wiggles of the stick might sort it"!
DaveM
(Just seen Andy Waters' posting - great minds think alike?  8) )
.........perhaps flood it with isopropyl alcohol, a gentle waggle then let it drain and dry.  Isopropyl is the usual active ingredient in many switch cleaners and least likely to melt anything inside the pot.  If the problem is just a fleck of muck, the fluid "might" flush it out of harms way.  Important thing is to leave the track intact, assuming it isn't broken.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 09:00:15 pm »

I do actually have a spray can of contact cleaner as well as the isopropyl!

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 09:17:11 pm »

Spektrum hardware is not renowned for quality. I had an encoder pack up on my DX6i, fortunately the cost of repair was only a pound or so, but all the same, for the amount of use it had, it shouldn't have gone bad so soon, and it's a common fault by all accounts.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 09:28:38 pm »

but all the same, for the amount of use it had, it shouldn't have gone bad so soon, and it's a common fault by all accounts.

While I, and others, have Futaba M Series 1970s 27meg sets which still function perfectly...

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 10:00:57 am »

Paul Freshney has pointed out that if cleaning the pot fails and if I don't need the horizontal function on the left hand stick I could simply swap the gimbal assemblies over.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 10:04:14 am »

That's a very good idea  :-) 

This seller has a number of Gimbals with conversions for different radio set with updated pots
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/174132687901?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=174132687901&targetid=596596254901&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006864&poi=&campaignid=6619152155&mkgroupid=84510982688&rlsatarget=aud-629407027345:pla-596596254901&abcId=1140496&merchantid=116541832&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyJIaaYnWqXfffPcyr-oFzjhb__igAk8RCAIO_GKE6SHku-BWksOtKwaAgoYEALw_wcB

Good right hand gimbal to fit Spektrum DX6i radio. Elevator / Aileron on mode 2.[/font]
This has been fitted to my DX6i and calibrates and tests perfectly.
Both pots giving full, smooth movement.
This is a Gen 1 DX8 gimbal that has been fitted with a DX6i plug, and the leads have been soldered directly to the pot pcb’s and strain relieved as per the DX8 factory rework.
This uses the newer style pots that don’t fail and are used in pretty much all of the other high end Spektrum radios.

To replace your damaged faulty radio stick unit is a fairly straightforward job. Replacement gimbals do require calibrating to the radio and checking in the monitor screen once fitted and before use, but the procedure is very simple and can be found easily on YouTube, simply search DX6i calibration. Gimbal also easily changes to mode 1 by twiddling a couple of screws.
[/font]
ANDY

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »

While I, and others, have Futaba M Series 1970s 27meg sets which still function perfectly...

Colin

If you pay the equivalent price today for a set, then you'll get hardware that lasts for forty years or more.

Course you can get good hardware for much less too.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 03:59:46 pm »

Bingo!

All now functioning OK.  :-))

I used the Monitor function on the TX screen to confirm that the aileron function was malfunctioning. Fortunately the faulty pot was the easily accessible one so having removed the gimbal I opened it up and cleaned both sides then reassembled it. Worked straightaway. A ten minute job.

I still may swap the gimbals over though.

Thanks to all for your advice and the links.

Colin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 04:31:18 pm »

said it was easy,  well done
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 10:31:30 am »

Just as a postscript. I had a quick reply from Al's Hobbies and the estimate for replacing the pot and return UK postage is between £30-40.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 06:18:39 pm »

Sounds a lot, but with the cost of postage and the minimum wage I doubt anyone is making a killing from such prices. It's a lot better if you can do the job yourself - or find an obliging Klunk! 'Tis the 'throw-away society' again, to be sure...  O0
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 07:44:16 pm »

As always, it is easy, but only if you know what to do and how to do it which is where the value of a Forum like this scores.

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 04:29:47 pm »

You may be lucky and it was just a bit of contamination that is now cleaned, but often I find that cleaning bad pots only brings a temporary reprieve and the problem returns after some use. If that happens then replacement is generally the best course of action. Replacement should not be difficult for anyone comfortable with soldering, and a new item should not cost more than a couple of pounds.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 04:57:12 pm »

Replacement should not be difficult for anyone comfortable with soldering, and a new item should not cost more than a couple of pounds.

No indeed, although the gimbal assembly would need to be taken apart and retensioned on reassembly but apparently sourcing these pots is difficult as they are a non standard size and particular to Spectrum and not generally available by all accounts.

As I am unlikely to need the left stick horizontal channel, the safest bet will probably be to swap the gimbals over.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 05:25:57 pm »

As I am unlikely to need the left stick horizontal channel, the safest bet will probably be to swap the gimbals over.
Colin
I'm bound to say that's a bit of a bummer when you paid a couple of hundred quid for a reputedly up-market 6-channel radio and haven't used it very much. There's almost a case here for buying cheap direct from ROC and taking a punt on the possible consequences. Come back Skyleader/RCS/Flight Link/Fleet/Horizon - your country needs you again!
DaveM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 05:54:34 pm »

I bought it many years ago when I was young and innocent. I know better now... ;)

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 06:53:46 pm »

Not studied the pots on my DX6i, not had issues with that. I did have to replace the encoder though, that was a easy to find Alps part, got it on ebay for a little over a quid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.