Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy's - Bell 206 JetRanger build.  (Read 13737 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Andy's - Bell 206 JetRanger build.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 03:58:22 pm »

Quite noticeable on the nose is the patch I had to put in, I was sure I had made the walls thick enough, but I was wrong. No matter what I do, it will probably show up on my finished moulding.... Ah well, I can live with it, I am not doing another another one. Quite happy with how it's looking so far, I may decide the nose is finished, get my shed stove fired up and try a moulding. I have one bit of plastic that is a suitable size, but it's pretty thin, I am hoping it will get more strength once its the right shape.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 12:33:13 pm »

Plenty of room for control board and battery. Actually enough for 3 batteries. Other pics show extra window framing to support sheeting and a comparison with Seaknight.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 03:46:40 pm »

Fuselage sheeting was a challenge as I thought it would be, trying to get joins halfway on a 1/16 former has to be pretty accurate. Where the panel edges touch, it has to be less than 1/32 height difference, or it won't sand flush. I managed it though, hopefully with some sanding allowance. It didn't need much filling, most of the stuff in the photos will get sanded off. Well happy with how it's turning out. I still have more to do on my nose section mould, and sanding on the fuselage. Right side windows have been trimmed and sanded, left ones still to be done.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2020, 01:26:05 pm »

Moulding time. I actually had the mould about 70% towards being usable but the edges hadn't pulled in right. The windscreen and nose looked really good. I tried reheating the plastic and remoulded it. It turned out as shown in the photo. Ah well. I need to make my frame bigger and get more plastic. It showed me that it's going to look good once I get a decent mould of it. And a rough weight of my nose section. 13g. The heavy duty balsa nose mould weighs in at a hefty 100+ grams!
I had the nose mould taped onto the heli body for a look and I decided to weigh it. Just over 200g, so the nose mould weighs nearly as much as the fuselage and tailboom. But...... with all the rotors, control board, battery and my knitting needle and marshmallow stick undercarriage (28g!) the total weight is still 25g under the Seaknight. It still has to be painted, but with a moulded nose coming in under 20g it will be about 100g lighter, unpainted and no dashboard/nose support. It will all add more weight but I know I have a bit in reserve. I will maybe get my radio area finished off and get a test flight soon.

RST

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2020, 10:44:47 pm »

Have you thought of using that 1-2mm thick "styrofoam" type sheet the micro aircraft guys use.  Can't remember the name but it's similar to the horrid non-disposable foam trays you used to get at supermarkets?

It's fascinating watching the build anyway. Reminds me of a competition I did at uni to build a boat from paper only. 10g max weight, to hold as much weight as possible before sinking.  I still have it in my folks loft after best part of 25 years now!

Rich

RST

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2020, 12:48:54 am »

Hi Andy,

Not to steal glory but I found an old pic of my old paper model.  A foot long.  10g total (NB all entries were varnished after, of course-paper is not waterproof!). In case it povides any inspiration.  I'm trying to find the result (I know the paper of the results is in my folks loft with the model).  I'm not sure if it held as much as 1.8kg now -just shows how much a little basic engineering can do.  No doubt though if you crash it would just crumple an entirely paper effort I guess LoL!

....PS I got a special commendation for this, my Professors thought I was a crack-pot:  I remember going round the Uni offices and stealing paper to take to the chemistry lab to measure just how much a single sheet of paper weighed.  It was rdiculous, I ended up finding 2 or 3 sheets of something so thin!  Very thin CA glue to stick it all.  I had extra tube stiffeners in places but had to cut them all out to get back to 10g.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 03:56:37 pm »

That's the reason I like this forum, lots of different ideas, I can see how much work went into it. I did think about paper but to get the strength over gaps of 1/32 balsa, the paper was heavier. And my shed is quite damp this time of year. I am really enjoying my 1/32 balsa builds. This one is entirely balsa, the Seaknight had a few bits of 1/8 liteply, which are heavy, but worth it as they are in the nose. My Jetranger nose is proving to be a problem, see photos.........
As my last bit of clear plastic sheet failed to mould nicely, I thought I would practice on some white sheets I had. It proved that I would just have wasted 5 sheets of clear stuff.

Anyone good at vacuum moulding  clear plastic? I would pay of course. I have tried and failed, its me, my machine or the plastic or my stove?
The rest of my jetranger has turned out better than I hoped, not having a clear cockpit is going to spoil the whole look. I have managed to get the nose mould down to under 80g (from 98!) still pretty hefty and definitely not clear.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2020, 04:19:25 pm »

:o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2020, 04:22:06 pm »

A bit more fuselage sanding and some balsa exhausts. Think I have sanded enough of the 1/32, looks and feels pretty thin in places, it was thin to start with! The hefty nose mould, 98 grams to start with, now under 80. It was never intended to fly, but I may use it for some test flights till I get round the cockpit problem. I think I could get another few grams out of it and still be strong enough to use as a mould. It is still under the weight range the quad can handle. So far, not painted the fuselage yet, think that will add a fair bit.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 08:30:00 pm »

It looks like you need to raise the plug off of the base so that the crinkling is below the moulded area. You can then trim to the needed size.
Jim

Dundee Model Boat club

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 10:55:51 pm »

I did have a post typed up with pics attached but there was an error, so here are the pics. 12 grams of paint so far. One coat so far.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 11:04:58 pm »

I will try raising my mould, next time the fire is on. I am a bit disappointed with results I have had, but its showed me where my mould needs tidied up.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 09:59:22 am »

A couple of coats of matt black on my landing gear and it looks nice. I am making mounting blocks for the front crossmember. The rear crossmember I have also taken care of. Also decided to spend a few hours heating and pulling the best of my failed nose cones around the mould, pinning and taping to stop it all wrinkling up as I heated and pulled next bit. Took a while, but managed it with only small gaps shown. Also did same with thicker clear sheet and ended up with nice lower windows. Just the windscreen(s) to do, hopefully I can manage that.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 10:08:03 am »

I have to say that the half decent looking failed mould a few posts above, I tried reheating it and it ended up as the one with big hole in the nose. So it was next best one, bottom right in group photo, which looked unsaveable but persistence saved the day. As long as my windscreen goes as well.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2020, 12:32:23 pm »

Same technique, very tight on my plastic size, turned out well, I have to attach the windows to the white plastic, which has proven to be hard to glue. I will try contact adhesive on a set of offcuts, I know superglue just peels off it. I might try double sided tape if all else fails. I have to make up a support/attachment frame. The mould was oversized with a view to trimming to perfect fit later. This means my windscreen will have a section (3/16) taken out of the middle of it. I will have a windscreen centre support as part of my frame. Going well tho, I was a bit discouraged last night after so many moulding fails.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 10:13:02 pm »

Found that uhu glue seems to be working so I glued windscreen to nose section, I will be attaching the lower windows once it sets up solid. I need to get my mounting frame made up soon. It will need to fit nice to stiffen up the nose, the white plastic is flimsy, bit like the plastic used for strips of pills. At least I can take measurements from the mould.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 05:38:43 pm »

Got one lower window glued in, stuck to the mould, pig to get off etc. I also removed landing skids from quad motor pods as no longer required. They weigh  nearly 3g, that's a 9 x 4 inch bit of 1/32 balsa's worth! Last photo shows it before it's first flight, complete with 80g nose mould and my new cockpit. Handled it fine but will be better once my nose is finished. Will be interesting to see how much it weighs when it's all mounted on the frame.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 09:50:18 pm »

Last lower window glued in. Didnt stick as much as first one. I have made a start on the frame. I don't know whether to incorporate a dash board? Maybe do that as a project later.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2020, 11:41:04 pm »

My frame, and my windscreen halves. One has been trimmed to correct size, other one will get final trimming once first one is glued to the frame. Hopefully get a chance to do that soon.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 02:06:16 pm »

Final version of my frame and a photo of the frame and windscreen and nose etc taped onto it and on the scales. Still a few bits to do on it at this stage, is was far from perfect to start with. I am thinking it should end up a bit under 35g. Saved 45g over the balsa version and it's got clear windows. This project has presented lots of challenges, but I think it definitely looks like a jetranger, it flew OK yesterday with wood nose and plastic nose on it too, about 95g so with 60g less the flying time should be longer.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »

Managed to get the nose to the painting stage, definitely looks better now it matches the fuselage. I can't wait to see it on the fuselage, didn't want to risk it while it's tacky, knowing my luck I would drop it. I have still to give the fuselage a second coat. Should brighten it up a bit.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2020, 08:57:36 pm »

Couldn't resist trying it on the fuselage, it was still tacky but I only handled it by the windows. I think the fuselage needs another coat of paint. It's all added weight tho.....

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2020, 01:16:25 pm »

I was just thinking that as my model is about 1/10 scale, my 1/32 (0.8mm) skin would be like having 8mm balsa skin on the full size heli. Don't know if I would be leaning on the doors. Probably be pretty strong in reality, just not confidence inspiring. I have crashed a few model planes in my time and 6mm balsa takes some impact.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2020, 02:57:35 pm »

This photo shows just how thin it is. Taken after a flight in my living room while wife was out shopping. She worries about the ornaments, but mostly the telly I think. Anyway, I never thought I would confidently fly a 3 foot jetranger in the living room. Decent flight time too, never thought to time it. I have 4 batteries anyway. No shortage of power. Was hoping to have outdoor flight today but its been windy and hailstones and snow for good measure. Definitely needs another coat of paint, or just stay with faded, patchy look?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2020, 11:15:58 pm »

I decided it needed a tail rotor to finish off the tail area. It's definitely not heavy, under 2g with the shaft. The whole tailboom, fins and tail rotor are under 25g. I think it looks quite good. I might try a main rotor but don't know if I will have it on during flight, don't want a boom strike when I don't actually need a main rotor, would look good, I have had freewheeling rotors on my stubby sky crane quad body
they looked good when it was flying, took your eyes off the quad rotors. Also pained my exhausts gold over the silver.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.