Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travelling with models through airports -it can be done  (Read 1169 times)

RST

Travelling with models through airports -it can be done
« on: January 30, 2020, 12:20:27 am »

Hi,

just to say every blue moon someone asks or there is a debate what you can carry through airports.  Well, I live in Inverness but work split between Glasgow (staying in hotels) and Paris (rented appartment).  In Paris I tinker in the evenings while I am out there for a month.  I realised I had accumulated rther allot of modelling things, including 3 models + bare bones of one more (idle hands etc plus I have my first smll 3-D printer there).

So on coming back today I decided to bring some bigger things back.  I ended up buying a decent "Delsey" (samsonite equivalent) hard case for "cough" > £100 but it will last, and to ship a smaller single box back by post or courier is more!

I used a cheap plastic box from Carrefour (Tesco equivalent) -it doubled as a test tank at my appartment anyway which only has a 1/2" deep shower tray.  I packed parts with bubblewrap, a spare blanket I need to bring back, shirts, spare poly bags etc etc.  Other parts (lots) decanted into re-sealable sandwich bags, most bigger parts put into empty ice cream tubs etc.

I was nervous about batteries.  I checked BA rules.  I already carry 3 small action cameras + a FLIR thermal imaging camera.  I wanted to bring 4x packs of Ni-Mh in addition but the rules said something like "2 spares of non-spillable, no spare Lithium in hold luggage" so I took 2 Ni-Mh's out of the 4 and left a post-it note in case customs checked saying they were not lithium.  In respect I needent have bothered.

When I arrived home a couple of hours ago everything looks OK so far.  Not bad considering the Pilot boat is 2 feet long and I personally watched it being bounced about by taxi drivers and at the airport.  I debated to put "fragile" wrap on the case -but thought that would be more like a chellenge for the handlers!!!

Note -in the model I stripped out anything heavy like the motor.  The model might survive an impact but the load from the motor might make it break away etc.

I don't recommend it, certainly not "stress free modelling" but not bad I think and getting hold of this Pilot boat was not so easy and now no longer produced.  Sorry for the long post but shows a bit of lateral thinking and it can work.  It's the second time I've done this, but not with such  big model!

Hope this helps for any inspiration moving things.  Lets put it this way I have done this with a few airlines over a few thousand miles and years now.  I will still walk away from anyone selling anything delivered by Yodel or Hermes at home, period, on past experience!

Rich

RST

Re: Travelling with models through airports -it can be done
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:23:22 am »

And this is how it was before but this is an old pic albeit without allot of detail now.

I neglected to say before:  Stripped the rudder out and unscrewed and removed the prop also.  Nothing to catch or protrude on anything!

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Travelling with models through airports -it can be done
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 03:08:21 am »

Built a case to run my Springer tug through carry on.  :-)

Ray Doesn't seem to have any issues getting his models to Canada.  :-))

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.