Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Navigation lights  (Read 2503 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Navigation lights
« on: December 18, 2019, 08:19:38 pm »

im considering making the nav lights for my lifeboat, ive purchased 3mm LED bulbs, but now unsure about a couple of things, so its out for debate, is it necessary for model making to cut the opening for the light to the correct angles, example side lights 112.5 deg.. should i install a coloured lens, im using red / green LEDs,  {:-{

Trucker

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Navigation lights
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:21 am »

LEDs are normally round, and need a round hole of matching diameter to mount into.
The exposed bit poking through the hole is already the right colour, no extra lens or colouring needed.  The light radiates in all directions from the exposed dome unless it its a "high intensity" type, in which case the light is concentrated into a relatively narrower beam.
The nav light mount will provide the required shrouding, just as with the real thing.
To stop them shining upwards, you might consider painting the topmost surface.
There are plenty of threads with LED use information, the site search should find them for you, and they will help with figuring out the wiring.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:14 am »

HI Trucker regards nav lights
here in the pic link is my HMS NORFOLK  with nav led's  an they are 3mm ultra bright led's in the pic the red port side an they are built in to the bridge wing hope this helps you
https://ibb.co/jWYGjDY

chris

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 11:54:29 am »

Hi Trucker

I use this to calculator the resistor for a single LED [size=78%]http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz[/size] and this one for multi LED's  [/size][size=78%]https://ledcalculator.net/[/size]

Hope it is of some help.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 03:04:05 pm »

There is a very comprehensive article on the use of LEDs in model boats and how to physically adapt them in the latest January 2020 issue of Model Boats. Probably all you could want to know.

Have a look here for a preview.:

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/model-boats-january-2020/27141

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 08:37:56 pm »

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45668.msg481519.html#msg481519

Hi Tim have look at this link this shows how the L E D were fitted in a tug model. I will scan  the section from C/Shop  book and send to you.

Stan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 08:40:26 pm »

HI Trucker hope my last reply arrived

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 04:11:30 pm »

hi all,
after listening to all the help from this forum i have put together my first nav light system, its in a raw state at the moment so when i install it i will clean up every thing, its based on a piece of plasti card, a bit of thick copper wire for the common live, all the resistors soldered to this, the wiring has come out of an old HDMI cable so may not be the best colour coding but it will do, all the negitives go to one point, on the plasticard i have two more resistors to wire up, one for the blue flashing light and one for the amber light, im not quite sure how these two are used on the real boats so if any one knows i would appreciate the info,i also have a switch so the nav lights can be operated manually from the bank..

Trucker

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 08:49:49 am »

A nice neat layout, as long as the resistors are working well within their power rating, there should be no problems with them melting their way into the plasticard.

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 07:25:41 pm »

i relize this is probably too late for this buildbut have you considered using surface mount(smt) led's? the come in many sizes from 1.2mmx06mm all the way down to  04mmx03mm..you can get side or surface mount..i used them for my fishing boat as 3&5mm rounds were not bright enough for me and too big for mast applications..i also used smt resisters and magnet wire from ole small electric can moters..was very pleased..and if you want super bright deck/work lamps look at 5050 plcc chips..i used those as they are a 3 led's in a 5.0mmx5.0mm package..but be warned these are 100milliamps per led and you will have to do 3 seperate power and grounds to light them off and need 1 watt resister's..

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 03:38:49 pm »

Has any one purchased the navigation lights from cornwall model boats, their part number is CMA40, they state a size 6mm, is that the height and also can a 3mm LED be inserted in them

Trucker

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 09:56:27 am »

Has any one purchased the navigation lights from cornwall model boats, their part number is CMA40, they state a size 6mm, is that the height and also can a 3mm LED be inserted in them

Trucker

I would guess diameter, they look like they are intended for use with GoW bulbs, having coloured lenses.  3mm LEDs should fit in no problem, but probably miss out the coloured lens unless using white LEDs, that job is being done by the coloured LED.
A query via their "contact us" link might help clarify things a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.