Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACTion unit cleaning ..yes or no  (Read 1807 times)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
ACTion unit cleaning ..yes or no
« on: November 27, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »

I wonder if DM can offer me some advice please .

Over the last ten years of making models I have quite a collection of ACTion units in various forms , formats  all of which have served me well .....so no complaints !

My question is what is the best product to clean some of these PCB's which are showing slight discolouration and grime on the underside of the soldered terminals and was wondering the best way to clean / maintain them to ensure the continued good service .

My normal route would be things like Maplin electrical contact cleaners / or SMFL /Electolube
or similar , but wondered what DM used or preferred .....before I cause a problem with my equipment out of ignorance ........can anyone offer me some advice please ? or a different route to achieve a good result please

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: ACTion unit cleaning ..yes or no
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:05:29 pm »

Ivor
This is what I use to clean PCBs. It's an aerosol which you then scrub over with an old toothbrush or similar.  https://www.jprelec.co.uk/categories/tools-and-equipment/tools-and-service-aids/aerosol-products/total-clean-200-flux-remover-solution/product/total-clean-200-flux-remover-solution/990-090~990-090
Whatever you do subsequently, don't put anything like a polyurethane varnish onto a PCB. It makes it virtually impossible to desolder and replace any faulty components later. If you really want to protect it then you need a proper 'conformal coating'. Google that if you want to proceed along those lines.

DM

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:27:26 am »

That is very helpful to know Dave, especially as I have ACTion units in virtually all my boats   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 11:44:28 am »

Thank you for your assistance here Dave , very grateful and will follow your advice from here on with this task.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with these issues  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.