Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recycling  (Read 2571 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Recycling
« on: February 06, 2020, 02:57:54 pm »

Repurposing stuff is something I like to do, from my collection of ecig batteries which I power loads of things with, to my latest 'glad I thought of that' moment while looking at an rc car I had been given for Christmas years ago, it worked by tilting the control sideways to steer and twist gripping for throttle, was terrible to try and get the hang of it. Anyway, I decided to look and see what battery was in it, 3.7v 100mah, wonder if that would power my long unused silverlit z century helicopter? Well it did, and it works better than the original 130mah battery. Lighter weight battery. I had looked on ebay but similar batteries were £5 each, so I didn't bother at the time. Great little helicopter, 4ch single rotor and tail rotor so this is the only true heli I have flying at the moment. I may still use something else off the car in future. Its a small amount of recycling, all helps. The ecig batteries would have all gone in landfill if I didnt re use them. They are around 325mah. Used once in ecig then with no provision for recharging, designed to be thrown away, one per day. I got a year's worth from my friend. They also come with a nice 9mm stainless steel tube, which after a bit of sharpening on inside with round file, has become a foam and balsa hole cutter. Used extensively on my jetranger and Seaknight. I just wonder how many other people just binned theirs. Lipos to landfill. I have plenty of the stainless tubes if anyone wants one for a cutter.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Recycling
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:01:31 pm »

Here's my little silverlit z century, revitalised with new battery.  https://youtu.be/UCd5RlmNmu4

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:10:05 pm »

anything and everything, i have a rc car cv joint in my boat to align the motor to the propshaft, works great

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 05:47:12 pm »

Perfect, my little 23cm cruiser uses whole car radio and gearbox/motor unit, can be swapped out at any time for re-use in my capri. Using same setup, I reckon I could manage something around 15-18 cm. I have a few boxes of prime plastic items waiting to be recycled into some kind of rc vehicle, items like easter egg packing( good for cockpits) , asda apple turnover box lids as used on the seaknight Windows, basically any kind of plastic packing.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:18:52 pm »

how about plug earth pins for rudder operating levers, they fit perfectly on a 3mm shaft, and come with a fastening screw

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 08:34:04 pm »

how about plug earth pins for rudder operating levers, they fit perfectly on a 3mm shaft, and come with a fastening screw
I've used these on a number of models Grendel - so far, no problems  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 08:36:06 pm »

That's another good one. I have also used the opaque plastic protectors that come on the pins as lamp covers in my big cabin cruiser Mary Jane.
I found that a spare 35mhz aerial when split apart, and tapered ends used, yields a full set of balsa/foam hole cutters. Push out the cut piece each time or it jams up.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 03:57:59 pm »

Dust covers from smoke detectors looked just the right size for quad conrol board cover, and it was, perfect.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 08:26:48 pm »

Friends and family know that I collect these little jam jars, usually served with a scone. I use them for all sorts of things, from paint and white spirit to balsa and cataloy dust (used with superglue to form a rock hard structural fillet etc) also handy for small screws and parts, custom paint mixes...... the list goes on. As you can see from the photos, I have quite a few of them now ( and thats not all of them!) . I rinse them out with hot water alone, no detergent, to avoid contaminating its future contents.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:46 am »

Nice to see a fellow collector of sawdust, a much underrated modelling material!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 09:54:01 am »

Hi those little jars of marmalade earned me a nice pressy a few years ago.  I was on a cruise (Queen Elizabeth) and had a balcony cabin, always had breakfast delivered to the room and would eat out on the balcony.  Most times I had a croisant and Wilkins Tiptree marmalade and fruit.  On one occasion just finished eating and I had my camera out as we were entering a harbour (Cadiz maybe?).  I took a photo of the remains of breakfast with a lid prominently displayed and a backdrop of the harbour.

Thought no more of it until I had been back a few weeks and reviewing the photos I decided to send it to Tiptree, they loved it and asked if they could use it as a Tweet!  In return I received a presentation box 3 bottles of fruit gin.
regards
Roy

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 11:07:32 am »

Balsa dust and superglue is all thats holding my wasps front legs on, properly structural if you use enough.
The little jars are very usefull, but never had any free alcohol because of them, well done.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 11:09:48 am »

The cataloy dust is pretty good too, but not as absorbent as the balsa dust. I had loads of cataloy dust after sanding down my viper after preparing it for moulding. I thought I should keep at least some of it.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 12:19:49 pm »

I have had this battery screwdriver for many years, serving me well, then after numerous attempts to clean the battery contacts and charge the nicad batteries, I gave up a couple of years ago and it sat in a box.
 During a bit of a tidy up, (just a small bit. Lol) I found it again and wondered if it could be converted to lipo power. The deep case prevented access to solder a plug on, so I decided to cut the end off it. A plug was soldered on and I tried it with a 3.7v 500mah cell. Works perfectly now, only thing is the battery hangs out the end. My new task was to cover it up a bit and stop it falling about.
 I had used a co-op hundreds and thousands container as a form for building the motor cowlings for my Snow Goose flying boat, it might be the right size or close, will try that first, as it was nearby.
 What a fit, not too loose and not too tight and long enough for me to be able to use an 18650 cell.
 After trying it with the 500mah cell, I thought that it works well enough for now, its a bit lighter anyway, I changed my mind and decided I would go ahead and fit an 18650 instead. The excess length was cut off the container and the bigger battery fitted.
 The other good thing is that the hundreds and thousands container can still have cowlings made on it.
 I love it when you find the right bit for the job.
 As a footnote... while cutting the excess bit of container off, I noticed the use by date..... November 2018.......we had these sprinkled on our trifle at christmas a month ago! Lol. Seemed ok.😁

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 03:32:38 pm »

that lithium cell would probably fit in the old battery holder section, keeping the look original.
I recentlywent through my cordless drill collection and replaced the dead ni cads for lithium 18650 packs of the nearest voltage fitted into the old battery case, a charge lead and balance lead coming out of the case and I bought 4 old cordless drills and a sander back to life, the 18650 cells, I bought a box of 100 recycled ones in the 1600mAH to 1700mAh range, bought in bulk they are not too expensive (though i also recycled some laptop battery packs for the cells)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 03:49:41 pm »

The original holders for the nicad batteries are solidly glued together and I did try to separate them with no luck. Would have been nice to keep the standard look, but it works fine as it is, even if the new battery case is a bit squashy. I am only using it for model stuff anyway.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 02:10:39 pm »

I decided to take Grendel's advice and use the original bit of handle and the clip in end piece from the original nicad pack. Having cut the handle bit off with a hacksaw, the ends were not that neat so a quick beltsanding levelled the ends up and I will glue the handle back together. I will also need to change the plug as I used short wires. I will be able to easily access it by removing the battery holder end cap. It has a charging socket but its too corroded to use. Never mind, I dont think it will need charged very often, its an 1800mah cell, as far as I know.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 03:38:58 am »

About 3mm shorter than it was originally but close enough for me. 😁

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 06:47:43 am »

looking good

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 10:49:17 am »

Much better than the co-op hundreds and thousands container. And a lot less squashy! Thanks Grendel, I just needed the final push to make me do it properly😁
Now me soldering iron has packed in.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.