Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Materials best wood for small steam boat  (Read 3277 times)

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Materials best wood for small steam boat
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 08:14:29 pm »

Hi,seems a bit overkill for this simple soul
Cut the formers from stiff card with a sharp knife
Cut the bread sections with a coping saw
Along the keels line tap in pins at each station making sure they are square and use these to check the shape with the former
With Balsa wood it will sand easily. Its not a scale hull so as long as both sides are the same it wont make a great deal of difference
When buying balsa you can get a harder grade
Is this the wee boat you intend to build
https://youtu.be/nFCvNxCJPIo
cheers
frazer

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 08:52:41 pm »

Hi Frazer

The plans I have which I plan to use is the old Beadle hull designed by Glynn Guest, tried to show a pic but image was to large need to be reduced
It is the same hull design that Rig Swinson used like a Clyde Puffin. I plan to use one of Leslie power plants in the book
I have the plans reduced to make smaller . I though why not do it this way seeing I have equipment in hand my brother also has a spindle sander in his wood shop .   

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2020, 09:01:03 pm »

OK , I can see what you are building
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/puffin/525
At the end of the day use what ever you are happy with , I tend to do things by hand out of choice  although I use machines to cut the timber to size and a lathe to make the engines.
What size are building it ?
cheers

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2020, 10:13:08 pm »

Here is the boat off the plans going to try building it under 17 inches I like the original deck configuration .

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2020, 10:31:18 pm »

Hi. Les built his puffer at 13inches it will depend upon the plant you decide to use as he  has twin and triple cylinder plants
Iv not got the book so have no idea as to his boiler designs for the multi cylinder plants 
I have down loaded the  Vital Spark plans from the john_tom site but have not started on the hull .It will be bread and butter once I get round to it
Im currently making a simple plant for a small launch and then I will build a plant for Vic Smeeds River Princess
This plant will be single cylinder double acting with a self start mech and the boiler will be from a T fitting to give more water space.Gas fired by a poker style burner. I have experimented with the T fittings for 16mm loco building based on the Cracker design and found they give a better run time and the boilers although very simple have a good head of stem
Les Propers designs seem to be pretty good and he has a good following
Good luck with youre build. As to building techniques as long as you end up with a good hull its what ever you are happy with.
cheers
frazer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.