Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you rather bee or a wasp?  (Read 20763 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What would you rather bee or a wasp?
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2020, 04:27:36 pm »

Hi Jim, to be honest, I could build a bit lighter but it makes it really fragile. Also thought about sanding the sheeting thinner as well before sticking it on. There are bits inside that I can remove, with some difficulty, but possible.
I had thought about carving a set of plug halves and vacuum moulding the main bit, but thats onother project.
I think its going to be real close, will see soon enough. I have the head laminated, its weighing in at just over 4g unfinished, so at least its on target for being 1/10 th of the big one, its 34g.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »

Progress so far, front legs are alloy wire, pretty light and take the weight ok. Total weight so far is also shown. I can maybe lose a few grams off this, but not a lot.
I meant to say that using superglue seems to add a lot of weight, pinning and woodglue would take ages too. It may be a project in future to make a superlight version, on this one, the three main bits dont glue together, so I can try a dragonfly abdomen and head. I definately think a dragonfly abdomen could be built lighter.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2020, 05:55:20 pm »

Well, I decided to give it a try, its got most of the main bits on it, flew fine with a couple of pilot errors, the quadcopter frame is a tight slide in fit. Next thing will be a hatch and finish off the head and get it all ready for painting. Test flight video here. https://youtu.be/hJUj48JFbw8

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2020, 05:56:02 pm »

And some legs.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2020, 09:48:16 pm »

Made up the hatch, for ease of working on the wasp, I tack glued the hatch on, I will probably be leaving the quad in there for a good while, its still easily removable. I lost a bit of weight off the head during final sanding. I hope to get a coat of yellow on the 3 sections and will see how it looks, I may have to just do one coat.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2020, 11:45:21 pm »

First coat of yellow on it. That didnt take long, nearing the finish already, I still have yellow areas to re coat once I draw on the markings when the yellow is dry. Then a coat of black markings. Pretty sure it will be near max weight then. Legs are still to do, will see what flying is like after painting, might not cope with any legs extra. And I definitely think wings are not going to be possible. I may do the other legs 'retracted' to save them breaking, they need to be superlight specials. Front leg shrouds.... Probably need to be balsa, as light as I can find. Maybe simplified a bit for
 'not knocking bits off every landing- ability'
 It's looking good though, black will set it off. One main difference between this one and the big one is the props barely miss the head on the small one. But they do miss. I have the props relatively lower in the thorax, as I have the lights all taped on top of the quad board, needing extra height. I am pretty sure this one will get flown more than the big one, until better weather comes. Everywhere is twice as big for wasp flying now. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2020, 11:49:09 pm »

Just how close the props are, small amount of sanding left to do when I took this picture

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2020, 11:59:01 pm »

That's a crackin' pace you're working at Andy - good luck with your 'mini-me' wasp. (or you could call it a wisp or even a quisp {-)

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2020, 10:29:22 am »

Its quite a small model so nothing takes too long, apart from the paint drying. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2020, 10:58:32 am »

Is it a swarm yet? Lol. Still waiting on the yellow drying so I can draw the markings on. I will be doing another coat on head and abdomen, the thorax will only get yellow on markings that are going to be yellow, this should save some weight of yellow and still have shiny yellow bits. Black seems to cover well with just one coat. Still thinking about the legs, got to be light, and either tucked out of the way or fairly strong. I did think about string or something but the front legs need clad in balsa so may as well do the rest from balsa as well. Fiddly carving ahead.....

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2020, 02:23:41 pm »

Second coat of yellow. Photo doesn't really show it well but its good bit shinier. Once this is dry it will be time to paint the black on, cant wait, it really transforms it. Still no legs, I am going to measure the big ones legs and start drawing up the legs for the small one. Dont know if I will have the spikes, carving balsa to fine points at this size will leave them highly snappable. Its only semi scale anyway. I am liking the way the head comes off for battery changing, much better than having a hatch. And I can make different heads, I definately fancy doing a dragonfly head and abdomen for the small one.
 The big one might end up with new head featuring moving jaws, I still have a 3v supply I can switch from the transmitter. With the big one's head sitting at 34g, I am sure I could build a hollow one with a tiny motor and gearbox to work the jaws or wave the antenna. Or just fly it as it is.
 Does the little one count as giant scale if its a half scale model of the full size model ( which is 20 times life size) lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2020, 05:31:54 pm »

Two wasps, their controllers and their batteries. The small one's transmitter has a number 7 on it, because this is how much it cost, delivered, second hand but unopened. Add £5 max for balsa and glue and its a £12 rc wasp, not to mention an enjoyable little project. I have two of the little syma x7 quads, the other, standard one cost 15 delivered. The same shop is selling them for £10 now, amazing value, I am going to buy a couple more soon as I have any funds.
 I just love building these bodies at the moment, its a different kind of challenge.
 I have been modelling for 40 years odd now, started on plastic kits, boats, went on to cars then planes and helis and quadcopters. Indoor flying has always been something I wanted. Now its definitely here. I have always swapped back and forward through different modelling disciplines. Planes have been my most prolific building item with well over a hundred, boats next, probably around 30,followed by cars then helis then full size (but tiny)  boats at 4 so far.
 I intend to use motor pods from the big quads to power a plane and I also want to recreate an airboat I built about 30 years ago, in a smaller size, the original was just under 4 feet long and powered by an os35fp aero engine. Oily beast it was too, even with an exhaust deflector tube. Glad I went electric, from that point of view. Another os35fp powered project was the pike, the prop ran in a shaped trough built into the boat. It would have cut down on prop thrust but it put the motor as low as it would go. Stills from a video and my sketch show the pike.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2020, 05:34:23 pm »

Mini wasp flight with yellow paint still tacky with crash into phone, video here
https://youtu.be/8ZeC0pw0pGQ

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2020, 09:26:30 pm »

Black markings painted on abdomen and thorax, still to paint head, I will use my method with latex glove stretched over to sketch on. Hope to do that later.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2020, 11:37:02 pm »

Head painted, still some matt black to go on some areas but basically finished. Will need to wait till paint dries so I can have a test flight to see if its worth making legs for it. Big ones head weighs more than the mini wasp bodyshell (minus the quad)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2020, 12:02:33 am »

Pc fan is for faster drying, and blowing balsa dust onto it. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2020, 11:56:29 am »

Its turned out pretty well, it looks just as menacing as the big one, maybe more so because it looks more like there's a possibility of a wasp getting to that size. I know they dont, so far anyway. Also, if they were that size in real life, there would be more chance of hitting the bigger one with a bat, golf club or whatever. Lol.
 Well happy with it, nice, different little model for very little outlay. I have had the quadcopter about a year, had plenty of fun with it in standard spaceship form, then bare bones with the body off, then inside the stubby skycrane and now its a waspling. Lol. It can be removed, the hatch is only tack glued in 4 places, but the paint is all along the edges, so that might cause difficulty. I will be leaving it in there for a while anyway. I hope to get another couple of these if they are still available when I get some funds.
 Cant wait for a test flight, its still well tacky tho, best waiting........ Wheres me nano quadcopter? Get a nano wasp happening. Lol. I have a cheerson cx 10, tiny, was good flier then the battery gave up. I need to see if I have any tiny lipos of a suitable size. They are expensive to buy, compared to the price of the original quad. My silverlit z century benefitted from fitting a smaller battery, it actually flies for longer now? I have had numerous small rc toys, some bad, some good, now they are 'some parts' lol. The z century's new battery was from a terrible twist and tilt control rc car, really hard to drive, especially as I was used to driving my mini, beetle and capri race cars . It got tried a few times then shelved.
  Photo shows sketched out leg parts for the small wasp. Pretty fiddly at this size tho.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2020, 01:07:16 pm »

Wind has dropped enough for a giant wasp test flight outdoors. Recorded using phone mounted on transmitter, so I am trying to fly and keep wasp in the middle of the screen, bit of practice needed. Video here
https://youtu.be/NCzrqIw56Ys

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2020, 01:24:09 pm »

Fantastic achievement Andy - can't be easy to control and video at the same time - great to see your persistence has paid off  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2020, 01:31:04 pm »

Thanks very much Ray, I like it when people get to see my 'stuff', even more if they like it. I flew the mini wasp outdoors too, but its transmitter wont take my phone or I would have recorded it. The dog doesnt seem too bothered, I hope she would get out the way if a real one that size appeared.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2020, 02:33:03 pm »

Video of wasp flying in a more open area. Flies well.
https://youtu.be/FsbY2RokgRI

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2020, 03:49:11 pm »

Mini wasp with painting finished, few small crashes. Lol
https://youtu.be/MkdjHIAR9pY

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2020, 12:47:56 pm »

I have had a few days flying both wasps, they both have their own characteristics, the small one is noticeably more loaded up. The big one has a bit more power in reserve, but more breakable if you do make a mistake, having said that, they have both been crashed a few times now,  the waspling has a few dings and dents on its face, big one has had a few heavy landings too, worst damage was a cracked antenna, so they are pretty durable considering their lightweight construction. They are easier to fly, I think, than a standard quad as you can instantly tell which direction they are facing. Not always easy to tell with a standard quad.
 One of my friends suggested producing a plan, I dont know if there would be any demand for it tho, its not your usual build. It is pretty straightforward construction for someone that has built a model or two. I would need to look into how much it would cost to get some printed up. Next time I have funds, I will make enquiries. There are some differences between the two sizes obviously but they both feature the same build method. Both donor quads are at an all time low price just now.
 The small one might be getting a dragonfly conversion kit. I will get a chance to draw the parts required for it soon, hopefully. The photo shows a dragonfly with its thorax in virtually same scheme as the wasp, so its a good candidate for basing mine on. I am running low on foam bits to make the head from, I couldnt even manage a big enough single piece for the mini wasp head, had to join two bits for that. Most of my foam stock went on building the two rc shark fins several years ago, and a big 46 powered delta.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2020, 12:56:45 pm »

I'm just guessing this - the dragonfly abdomen would need to be made of a heavier material to counter balance the head/thorax?

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2020, 01:17:20 pm »

Hi Ray, I was thinking that due to it being longer, it would end up balancing out. Wont know for sure till I build it though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.