Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you rather bee or a wasp?  (Read 20758 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What would you rather bee or a wasp?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 11:27:47 pm »

Thanks, I hope to get something built soon. Its definately going to be different from anything I have done so far, closest would possibly be my pteranodon.
 Yes the wasp diagram....... I had actually forgotten about that bit when I posted it.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 04:34:57 pm »

I managed a test flight with my paper craft version slung under a quadcopter with an elastic band. It flew well, quite menacing looking. It will spur me on to do my balsa version.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 04:44:49 pm »

I'll bet it will look quite scary coming at you from a distance  :o

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2020, 08:49:30 pm »

Couldnt resist it, quick build rc hornet wasp test flight. It ended up getting torn a bit. The head definitely needs improved a lot for my balsa version
Video here.  https://youtu.be/EGg8D6K3-qI
I am tempted to copy the legs for my balsa version

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 02:25:39 pm »

I now have 2 versions of abdomen, I think the shorter one looks better, so probably going to go for that one. Still lots of drawing and working out to do, I hope to get into some cutting and glueing soon.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 02:37:34 pm »

Definitely the shorter one Andy  O0

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 05:53:40 pm »

Cheers, the other one looks a bit deformed.  I have no idea how I am going to make the head, might end up as a big foam lump carved to shape. I would like to keep it all balsa

RST

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2020, 06:00:08 pm »

How about something carved in plasticine then paper mache moulding made from that? You could make it really thin and light with some careful experimentation. Not wood I guess though.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:17 pm »

I did think about paper mache, but wasnt sure if it would come off whatever I make the mould from, I thought about clay but would be hard to dig it out without damage, I would want to use thinned down evostic waterproof glue for laying up. I am going to start with the body first so got plenty time to work it out. I can try a vacuum moulded one, got to be easier than my jetranger cockpit.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2020, 06:33:03 pm »

The fact that a wasps head appears to be separate plates might make it easier to produce a moulding, I can use small parts from all the failed attempts I am anticipating. This might be the way to do the paper mache and still get it off, just do small sections at a time, only thing is, I need to sculpt a half decent looking head out of clay. Ah well, I am up for a challenge.

RST

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2020, 08:29:57 pm »

I did think about paper mache, but wasnt sure if it would come off whatever I make the mould from, I thought about clay but would be hard to dig it out without damage, I would want to use thinned down evostic waterproof glue for laying up. I am going to start with the body first so got plenty time to work it out. I can try a vacuum moulded one, got to be easier than my jetranger cockpit.

Good point. I was forgetting a few things. Brown shiny parcel tape is in an excellent repellant of adhesives. I use it all the time. But you might need quite small squares of it on that. You could always do the trick of carve from PS block then use very light roving as grp to mould and pour in nail varnish stripper (acetone) to get rid of the insides after. Messy but guys in US use it often. Perhaps they have less to worry about disposal afterwards though!  I put sludge like that in the oil bin at the tip though I don't think you're supposed to.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2020, 11:17:28 pm »

Funnily enough I had thought of epoxy over foam core and melt it out as you say, my main concern would be weight. I am still tending towards either paper mache as you suggested or maybe just a foam head but I didnt really like the finish on seaknight foam bits, dont think they look as good as balsa bits, definately not shiny enough for insect bits. I need to build a balsa box in the head to take my battery so I will do that first and get to the outside once I see what options I have. Hoping to get some of my 2 layers of 1/32 balsa ply made up and get my abdomen formers drawn up ready for cutting out once the 'ply' is dry. I am going for circular formers, for ease, I dont know if wasps are circular in cross section or flattened, I am going for circular anyway, and definately the shorter version. I have a nice plastic knitting needle for the sting. Bit lighter than alloy as well. I am looking forward to this project. I still have more helis to do as well, I am tempted to go for skycrane next, I ended up scaling it to same scale as seaknight on photoshop the other night. Only a night or two of tracing and I, could be drawing on my structure, definately easier on non animal subjects. I wont really know how it will look but I am going to try and replicate the plates on abdomen by overlapping my top and bottom skins as, in my reference (target?) photo above. I think this will help with realism.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2020, 01:36:37 pm »

Yeehah, finally started on my (balsa) wood wasp/hornet. Formers marked out with quick balsa compass, marked at former sizes. Thats all the abdomen formers made, I will be building from the sting end, adding a former, stringers and sheeting before moving on to the next segment. Not weighed anything yet. Might manage some lightening holes in my 3/16 (hard) sting mount. It has to stay strong though, its taking half the landing loads by itself.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 05:25:31 pm »

Sting holder ready for sheeting, managed to cut half a gram off it with some holes. Dont want to weaken it too much. I will see how my overlapping scales/skins look quite soon.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2020, 12:06:29 am »

A wee bit done so far, think the scale effect will look good, top halves of this section will let me see how the scales are going to look at the segment join, if you know what I mean. The reason for tape on my finger is because my tx aerial cutters work on skin/flesh and close to the bone. I was holding balsa behind the bit I was cutting but it came through that as well and into my finger. Tougher bit next time.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2020, 12:39:03 pm »

Getting on with it now, I stopped where I did because I havent worked out finally how I am going to join onto the thorax yet. Actually looking better than I hoped.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2020, 12:51:24 pm »

That's quite a practical approach to your project Andy and so far, so good (apart from the injury), your updates are always appreciated  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 06:47:11 pm »

Thanks, it's good to see interest in my projects, this one has been quite liberating as the parts dont need to be exact both sides and tolerances dont need to be spot on, having said that, I do try to build as precisely as I can. I More building photos, and a last look inside, I have decided how I am  going to do the join to the thorax, I think this is going to be a highly stressed area, its only 34 mm at its narrowest. I added some bracing before I closed it up. Weight is just on 40g, unpainted. I also managed to get a coat of paint on it. Probably need another 2 to cover up my pen lines. On the paper craft model, the thorax and abdomen added up to 40 for both, I am over that figure with just the balsa abdomen. The papercraft one isnt built to take flight loads though, this one should be, hopefully.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2020, 07:07:05 pm »

As with the boats, the layers of paint make such a difference.
Just had another look at the paper version trials video - helps to appreciate the effort going into this project.  :-))

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:56 pm »

The paper version was a teaser, I know mine will definately be better, and a bit longer build. Most of the time in this project has been working out how to build the various bits. I have decided to have the head built around the battery box which is sited as far forward as it can go, I need this to balance me abdomen. I am pleased with my results, even for just one coat of paint, its YELLOW. I will get another coat on soon, I dont know which black pattern to add, there are so many variations including cg ones. It is definately going to be a wasp, its having enough modifications from the papercraft hornet for me to call it that. The thorax is my next bit, the battery box will form an integral part of it, also the rotor tubes and 6 legs, 2 load bearing at front, 4 fake. I have it in mind to try wings too, weight permitting but not essential. All these bits need to be quite strong. So I am imagining the thorax, by itself may come in about 30g,unpainted. A lot of thicker balsa bracing is needed in here. Pretty sure I can hit my weight target, still loads to make. Used about 8-10g of superglue so far. More weight but necessary.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 11:48:45 pm »

I love these quadcopters, I have so many more ideas for stuff to get airborne, I am thinking a few models ahead while I am still working on one. Well 3 actually but I count detailing as extras to work away at when I get the urge or find a suitable part. I am still tempted towards the sky crane as I still have suitable lengths of balsa in my stock. Also, as I built one before but never had the success I had hoped, a decent flying one would be good. I did find a papercraft pattern for an apache though, and it wasnt even on my list. Nice amount of flat bits as well.
 I recently bought more of these quadcopters, bit more expensive this time, but they come with a camera which can be switched off and on from transmitter, pretty good quality as well. You get a 2gb card and reader as well. These ones, V333, come with headless mode. These were £20 each, incredible value. I saw bare replacement bodyshells for £24! As all my quads can be used with the same transmitter, I have a few extra I should try and sell, them, some other bits and some standard bodyshells. I like the fact I can set myself a challenge of getting whatever I want flying, then seeing it work, pretty much guaranteed if you keep it light enough. I have a star trek enterprise planned at some point too. Lol.
Ooh nearly forgot, I have to build a harrier at some point as well. Lol

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2020, 05:44:43 pm »

I have decided to use the centreframe of the quad, with all the bottom mouldings snipped off and sanded flat. This was superglued to a hard piece of 1/16, which weighed 4g! This is a critical part, bracing it all up with balsa would probably have weighed the same. Anyway, this platform give me something to build from. My thorax has started. I am trying to do a more realistic shape than the near circular tube of the paper hornet, I have it narrowing in towards the bottom, a sort of rounded off triangle with my motor plate at the top. I intend to stitch and glue my front legs to a hardpoint in the bottom, I have to keep it strong but the weight is piling on already. The abdomen is finished, so no access for lightening, I think I got the formers right, enough strength for handling and flying but still pretty light. 8 g of superglue (20% of total weight) seems a lot but I used what I had to to make sure it was all well attached.. Motor plate is 16 odd grams, still to have the sides planed and sanded to former profiles. It should be a gram lighter after that but still quite a heavy bit. I love these quadcopters, I have so many more ideas for stuff to get airborne, I am thinking a few models ahead while I am still working on one. Well 3 actually but I count detailing as extras to work away at when I get the urge or find a suitable part. I am still tempted towards the sky crane as I still have suitable lengths of balsa in my stock. Also, as I built one before but never had the success I had hoped, a decent flying one would be good. I did find a papercraft pattern for an apache though, and it wasnt even on my list. Nice amount of flat bits as well.
 I recently bought more of these quadcopters, bit more expensive this time, but they come with a camera which can be switched off and on from transmitter, pretty good quality as well. You get a 2gb card and reader as well. These ones, V333, come with headless mode. These were £20 each, incredible value. I saw bare replacement bodyshells for £24! As all my quads can be used with the same transmitter, I have a few extra I should try and sell, them, some other bits and some standard bodyshells. I like the fact I can set myself a challenge of getting whatever I want flying, then seeing it work, pretty much guaranteed if you keep it light enough. I have a star trek enterprise planned at some point too. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2020, 06:09:19 pm »

Good progress on the thorax, its got quite a bit in it, I am making all the sub assemblies before I start construction. I have cut out the two main formers but still to notch them for stringers. I may add some lightening holes to try and offset the weight of the sturdy structure. I was wondering how I can manage a hatch to access the control board for plugging in motors etc. I think I may have the answer, more later. Battery replacement will involve pulling its head off the battery housing. I will probably hold head to body with a small magnet to stop it vibrating off. One more former to make, then some holes for the front legs and their stitching, then I will take some photos as I build it all up. Its looking good.
Istill have to work out what to do to front legs to thicken them up a bit, 10 mm foam tube with a 2 mm hole up the middle would be perfect, anybody know a source?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2020, 06:27:54 pm »

Getting on with the thorax now, still to work out my hatch arrangements, I need to keep access to feed motor wires through and plug into board.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2020, 10:56:51 pm »

I have sheeted as much as I can at the moment, but will need to fit the rotor pods before I can glue the sheeting over the open areas. I have to extend the motor wires a few inches as I am using longer carbon motor tubes to keep props away from body. I have cut the tubes to size so I just need to extend the wires and thread them through and solder them back on. Maybe manage that later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.