Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weather.  (Read 2021 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Weather.
« on: February 09, 2020, 09:31:38 am »

Think today might be a very good day to do some of the nitty things I have been putting off on Cervia. For sure I am not putting a foot outside . Just hope the house  8) roof stays on.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Weather.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 04:07:10 pm »

Just took a trip up to  Stoneleigh Park to visit the MG and Triumph Spares Day and wow what a horrible drive- some serious gusting on the M6 and A14 and there were still idiots driving as if it was a normal day! I got pins and needles in my hands for gripping on to the steering wheel! :o  Good car show though and thank god it was inside. 
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 04:41:56 pm »

Nick, it's consoling to hear your drivers are idiots, too.  Around Houston the bigger the pickup truck the more idiotic the driver.  The think they are in NASCAR.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 05:36:39 pm »

I spent the afternoon watching the live-stream of today's dodgy aircraft landings in the storm at Heathrow.   Lots of go-arounds and a few touch-&-go near landings.   Scary stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gln7T-xxE4k&feature=youtu.be

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 05:38:46 pm »

Just now the A14's closed westbound just east of Kettering due to fallen trees etc.  :((
Regards
Kit

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 05:40:41 pm »

Talk about windy. 20 yards of 6 foot-high back fence blown down + two glazed panels removed from greenhouse and neatly deposited 10 yards down the adjacent field. Insurance policy conveniently excludes wind damage...  <:(
A large drink and a sulk is called for...

DM

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 05:45:26 pm »

Breaking news in the last hour...

M11 shut near IWM Duxford for safety as the main hangar in the museum has been hit pretty bad by the storm and part of the roof has been ripped away. Fears now that the entire roof could be compromised and fall potentially damaging the aircraft inside. Considering that a majority of British aviation history is kept inside this super hangar we could possibly end up loosing some very valuable aircraft. <:(
Nick B

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 05:57:09 pm »

Makes me glad I am sat in 22 degrees C, with a nice G&T, down here in the south of Spain...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 06:10:36 pm »

That's bad luck Dave, sorry to hear it. Hope you don't get any further damage. Not too much obvious damage around here at the moment apart from trees down. The only thing blown in this afternoon was the neighbour's cat.

Nick, not good news re Duxford. There is potential for some real destruction if the roof does come off. Hopefully the winds will abate and  it can be secured. I think with these large enclosed spaces it is the pressure diferential between inside and outside which can cause the roof to be pushed off. The water in the trap in my bath plug hole has been going up and down like a yoyo.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 06:36:24 pm »

M11 shut near IWM Duxford for safety as the main hangar in the museum has been hit pretty bad by the storm and part of the roof has been ripped away. Fears now that the entire roof could be compromised and fall potentially damaging the aircraft inside. Considering that a majority of British aviation history is kept inside this super hangar we could possibly end up loosing some very valuable aircraft. <:(

This isn't the first time that there has been wind damage at Duxford. Fingers crossed that nothing terrible follows but it does sound like they need to do something to make the roof more wind resistant.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/m11-pictures-show-eerie-road-17717580

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 07:36:08 pm »

Apparently a lot of  disruption of train services due to peoples flying trampolines ending up on the tracks.  Asking owners to tie them down to something
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 07:44:06 pm »

Where is the bit about the roof, can no see any mention of that and they say they hope to open up again tomorrow ?. Relatively new building is it ?.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 07:56:04 pm »

Where is the bit about the roof, can no see any mention of that and they say they hope to open up again tomorrow ?. Relatively new building is it ?.

Not a new building, probably 15 years old but pretty historic aircraft are inside such as a Concorde and TSR2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/m11-pictures-show-eerie-road-17717580.amp
Nick B

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 08:56:54 pm »

Not a new building, probably 15 years old but pretty historic aircraft are inside such as a Concorde and TSR2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/m11-pictures-show-eerie-road-17717580.amp

Ooh no that does not look good, but 15 years for a modern roof, I would say is not that old.
Also Got Duxford mixed up with Cosford, hence me thinking it was not that old..only a few miles different... :}

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 10:09:08 pm »

Just pity Sydney.  After the bushfires they have had 176 mm rain in the last 24 hours.  <:(

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 10:57:09 pm »

We got 240 mm yesterday and 422 mm since Friday morning which makes it nearly 17 inches of rain in the old scale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.