Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Bristol  (Read 3888 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Bristol
« on: February 15, 2020, 03:38:42 pm »

Officially confirmed today that HMS Bristol will no longer be operating as a harbour accommodation and training ship after the end of December 2020.  A great loss as their poor facilities on HMS Excellent to look after the hundreds that pass through her each year.  As last warship in RN from the Falkland's I don't suppose she will be saved.

Bob
I will finish this model

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Bristol
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 04:13:47 pm »

The 2010-2011 refit was intended to give her another 10 years service life. I guess that is now up.

Colin

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:24:37 pm »

yes she was due one this year at Pompey, but it has been cancelled, it also seems that in certain quarters she does not doe RN recruiting any good, as she is not representative of the modern RN, short sighted decision which may end up coating more than they thought.
I will finish this model

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:38:56 pm »

it also seems that in certain quarters she does not doe RN recruiting any good, as she is not representative of the modern RN

Well, at around 50 years old she isn't is she? But I agree that whatever replacement arrangements are put in place they do need to encourage recruitment. Maybe PoW will take her place if Dominic Cummings has his way?  %)

Colin

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 06:52:34 pm »

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 07:36:26 pm »

It will be sad to see her go but realistically the prospects of saving what is a comparitively obscure warship with all the costs that would entail are not great.

What would you actually do with her given that she has been stripped off all armament etc. and how could you make her into a commerically viable attraction plus where would you berth her? I'm afraid this is yet another bird that simply won't fly.

Colin

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 08:15:13 pm »

The Falklands War already had a museum ship, HMS Plymouth on which the Argentine surrender was signed.
She was on display at Birkenhead for many years, then abandoned and finally scrapped.....    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hms-plymouth-sets-sail-final-4083277

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 08:24:10 pm »

Yes, HMS Plymouth would have been a fitting memorial to the Falklands War but the regrettable truth is that the general public these days are simply not interested.

The 'snowflake' generation has problems in distinguishing betwen WW1 and WW2. That might seem a harsh judgement but there is a lot of truth in it. These days, most peopkle seem to live in the present with little or no interest in the past which is an attitude that will come back to bite them!

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 09:46:09 am »

It's all FAKE NEWS as far the younger are concerned, watching the series on the somme, actually quite eye opening, makes blackadder goes forth seem factual to describe the military heirachy.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:11:40 pm »

Ref the Bristol, the story I heard from the cadets side was a lady died leaving a very large sum of money to be used as a cadet training ship aimed at Sea Cadets and the combined services cadets, as a sea going concerned. The RN jumped on it to use the money to refurbish the old girl as an alongside cadet training ship, an was used as such for some time. But she is a very old poorly maintained hull never built or expected to last this long, so a quick salute to the old girl as she is towed out of port to become razor blades like all before her.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.