Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: AT Procat bait boat problems and advice  (Read 13209 times)

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
Re: AT Procat bait boat problems and advice
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2021, 03:56:35 am »

It would appear they are some Chinese imitation hobbyking escs. Work perfectly fine in fwd. Ive sussed the leds, i just needed to swap polarity so im pleased about that. Im just wsiting to hear back about the mtroniks marine escs to see if they give equal power in rev as they do fwd. Looks like it is quite common for escs to have a 70/30 split in fwd and rev power.
Good luck in the exams

Or the "A" version Link courtesy of the same German importer as taffybouy's radio. PDF download
As Absima's English language instruction says,
The difference between “BRUSHED” and “BRUSHED CRAWLER & BOAT” ESC:“Brushed” and “Brushed-Crawler& Boat” ESCs have different backward-running modes.“Brushed” ESCuses “Double-Click” method to make the car go backward. When you move the throttle stick from forward zone to backward zone for the first time, the ESC begins to brake the motor, the motor speeds down but still running, so the backwardaction is NOT happened at this moment. When the throttle stick is moved to the backward zone again (The 2nd “click”), if the motor speed is slowed down to zero (i.e. stopped), the backward action will be activated. The “Double-Click” method prevents mistakenly reverse when the brake function is frequently used in steering.

In short, it is no use in a boat!
The text below is copy/pasted from one out of thousands of unscrupulous oriental Ebay vendors of the same item.The false bait is scored through.

Description: 
Waterproof Quicrun WP 1040 40A Brushed ESC Speed Controller BEC for Boat #1665
Features:
100% brand new and high quality
Support 380, 540, 550, 750, 775  brush motor
Water-proof and dust-proof, suitable for all-weather condition races.
Small size with built-in capacitor module.
Three running modes: Fwd/Br, Fwd/Rev/Br and Fwd/Rev, fits for various vehicles (Fwd =Forward, Br=Brake, Rev=Reverse).
Great current endurance capability.
Great built-in BEC output capacity.
Automatic throttle range calibration, easy to use.
Easy to set the ESC parameters with jumpers.
Multiple protections: Low voltage cut-off protection for battery / Over-heat protection / Throttle signal loss protection.
Specifications:
Power input interface: XT60
Part: Speed Controllers ESC
For Vehicle Type: Buggy, Car, Truck, Truggy
Model: for Hobbywing Quicrun 1040 Brushed Waterproof ESC
BEC: 5V/ 2A
2-3S Lipo, 5-9S NIMH
Size: approx 4.4x 2.8x2.6cm
Color: multicolor
Net eight: 65g
Package Includes:
1x 40A Brushed ESC Controller
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Paulm40

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2021, 06:54:41 am »

Thanks for the link. The ones i purchased appear to be the quicrun 1060's which by all accounts are used in quite a few boats.
Anu ideas if the viper marine series provide same power output for fwd and rev? I cant find any specs for that particular requirement. Or an alternative that is suitable?

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2021, 05:54:59 am »

Hey folks, sorry for the delay in getting back onto this, I had some exams for my apprenticeship to focus on then I wanted a bit of free time to relax and go fishing. I'm back on this now and I passed my apprenticeship with distinction, well chuffed with the outcome so I'm hoping for something similar with this bait boat of mine.

I've got all the parts hooked up and have found that the V-tail mixer doesn't appear to do what it should. After reading the info it looks like it's a servo mixer and I'm assuming I should have bought a motor mixer if there is such a thing?
With the mixer removed the channels operate on each stick for each motor but the right stick (ch2) is positioned for steering as opposed to forward/reverse.
Can I simply rotate the right stick and use the boat in a tank style steering?
If not, can anyone advise me on a mixer please that will do the job?

I have a servo that will need hooking up at some point and some lights but thought I'd focus on steering first to get it sorted and deal with servo/lights afterwards.

I've attached a pic of my parts and listed them below:

Planet TS2+2 RX/TX
MTronics VTail mixer (now removed because it doesn't seem to work correctly)
Hobbywing 60a brushed ESC WP-1060

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2021, 06:12:02 am »

Ignore me regarding the mixer, I changed my battery and it seemed to function for a while then stopped. I think I just need to charge my batteries then try again. I'll report back later tonight after charging a couple of batteries.

RST

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2021, 08:39:23 am »

In your pic it looks like you have both esc red wires connected to the mixer.  Is that right for those esc's -do they both have bec output enabled?

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2021, 01:29:16 pm »

That's a very good question and not one I have an answer for. I just plugged things in and made sure jumpers were set to what I thought they should be set to.

If I were to remove a red cable would that be from Channel 2 usually?

Also, would you suggest having the esc's set to fwd/brk/rev or just fwd/rev. The later sounds more logical to me as it's a boat not a car.

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2021, 07:38:10 am »

So the answer to your question of the ESC's providing BEC is yes. From further reading I can see that channel 2 should provide the BEC so I've removed it from channel 1 output.
With the additional reading I can also see that it suggests to operate the ESC's in crawler/boat mode which is fwd/rev. I have removed the jumper on the ESC's to achieve this mode.

Issue I still have is that only one channel operates. I can swap around the inputs to the receiver to alter which one is active but I still can't achieve what I want or expect in that both channels activate and can work together whilst using the mixer which I believe I need.

Any suggestions on what to try next folks?

New wiring pic below.

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2021, 07:38:44 am »

So apparently I'm still an idiot who doesn't know what things do!
Everything is working to spec. The CH2 needs to be active before CH1 is recognised. So in essence, if I am not going forward or reversing then the steering channel will be ignored.
Throttle on then steer left or right reduces the speed of one motor depending on the direction.

Great news. I'm all set to move on to the lights and dropper now.

I have 4 channels on my receiver (TS2+2) with CH3 and CH4 as yet unused.
CH3 is a 3 position switch which seems the most likely for a servo for the dropper. Would you agree?
CH4 is a variable dial and seems the most likely for the lights. Would you agree?

I was looking at the following servo - HXT500 Micro servo 1.2kg/0.10sec/5g. It simply needs to push or pull open the dropper door release so I don't think it needs to be anything bigger or do anything more than this but please let me know if I'm missing something I haven't considered.

I just want a simple on/off remote switch for lights. Not sure I need anything on during the day and it will save power. Convince me otherwise and any suggestions welcome as I continue my search for something suitable. Everything I can find has multiple functions and I can't find anything that can be used with the variable dial for adjusting the brightness which is something I'd like albeit, not essential.

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2021, 07:15:46 pm »

Got my lights sorted and working lovely.
Everything is mounted and working well and the motors are completely different with the ESC's, I'd say around 5 or 6 times faster.

The issue I am struggling with now is the bait dropper release. It was originally a muscle wire but I thought I'd change it to a servo. The issue is the servo can't be mounted in line with the release due to restrictions on space and height. I'm not sure if I've got the right part in a servo and instead should have got a push/pull solenoid or servo.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to do it preferably with some pics as I'm coming up blank even with internet searches as the options I can find aren't possible with my restrictions.

Mrs Stav

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2021, 10:54:58 am »

You have Hubby's tel no ring him he will HELP

Kelly
Where's the cake ??? I only joined for the cake !!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2021, 11:16:39 am »

If you can't mount the servo in line mount the servo at 90 degrees to the bait door catch and add a bell crank
Just a sugestion  ok2

Joe.

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2021, 06:53:52 pm »

Right folks, I managed to sort the bait door dropper by mounting at 90 degrees and using a spring loaded pully system. Works nicely.

Next thing I want is a power light. I wanted the red and green LED lights to be the only ones for power then control the front and rear ones if required for night time use.
What's the best way to get power to them?
Would it be from the power via the power switch or is there a better way?

taffybouy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2021, 12:38:52 pm »

So I sealed the boat and went for a test run. It didn't sink which is the best news. Lights and hopper (door release) worked fine at all distances.

Steering was squiffy. Throttle and steering wrong way round. Quick trip back home to swap them round before another test.

The issue I have now is that it doesn't reverse. Due to dual motors they turn in opposing directions so forwards turns the props inwards towards the center of the boat and reverse turns them outwards towards the outside of the boat. Both of these actions causes the boat to go forwards. From what I've read this is expected. Inwards would give better speed where-as outwards gives better steering apparently.

Any ideas what I can do to correct this?
Is there a combination of setting max/min speed or direction to compensate?
I feel there should be an acceptable reverse action to allow me to go backwards but I can't suss it out.

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed because I'm coming up blank with my reading and don't want to start messing with the throttle response without knowing if it will work or not.

Any testing or advice would be greatly appreciated folks 🤷‍♂️
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.