Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single screw rules  (Read 2806 times)

Tugger

Single screw rules
« on: October 04, 2007, 11:18:15 am »

Does anyone know of any proposed changes to the single screw tug rules for next year? I am planning to fit a kort nozzle to the Lady Bronwen over the winter but if the rule are going to change there is no point. I know there was talk when the single screw tug rules were first thought of, that only barn door rudders were to be allowed.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
Re: Single screw rules
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:02:12 pm »

i cant see them changing too many captins with Kort tugs and not enough with rudders sailing at the mo just my opinion

Mersey1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:55:20 pm »

Its only a personal comment but, even in real life standard rudders had there moments of, shall we call it, unpredictability! It is a nice idea to get back to basics but until we can get an indoor pool and remove the out of scale effects of the wind etc., I cant see that it would be a long term option. At least with the Kort nozzle it gives you the fighting chance of not hitting every buoy on the lake.

The idea overall is that it is fun, so lets keep it as it is. If at a later date we find its too easy (only joking) then we can look at it again.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 07:21:47 pm »

hi all sorry if this is diverting from the thread but that last comment lots of sense and what I'm interested in is how feasible is it to organise an indoor pool i know a few that have toyed with the concept but could we make it happen and any idea how much what are your thoughts

towtug

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 08:48:45 pm »

I am under the impression that the single screw team towing was introduced after a suggestion by a person who has not since graced the scene so that the older type single screw tugs with flat blade rudders could be used in balanced competition. Unfortunately some of the real tugs which look like the old steamers had kort nozzles fitted and these have been allowed to enter. As a result there are very few "proper" single screw tugs competing, they have gone back to languishing in sheds and dusty attics and will probably never see a tow again. It is more difficult without a kort nozzle, you need more room and relativly sheltered water but it can make for a good team effort. You cannot tow over the bow with a blade ruddered single screw tug but you can with a kort eh Steve. I would classify a single screw steerable kort nozzle tug the same as a twin screw tug with conventional rudders and no bow thruster.
 The pusher tugs seem to be heading in the same direction! Take a twin screw over powered kort nozzled tug with as powerful a bow thruster as you can possibly get in the overall width of the vessel, add a removable knee to the bow and have several feet of cord with you to secure it to the tow within 30 min. and you have a good pushing vessel. The big towing companies might take up the idea apart from the crane on the bow to remove the knee when on the next job and the fuel consumption would be prohibitably expensive

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:33:12 pm »

Topic split due to going off course new thread started Tankers for Tug Towing

Stavros

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:53:59 pm »

No doubt some clarification is required....
But given the fact that korts and even voith units were all on the go when paddle tugs were still being used....how far back do you want us to go?
Big dug-out canoe?
Coracle and some stout hemp rope? LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.