Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knitting saves the day [+knitting needles]  (Read 1310 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Knitting saves the day [+knitting needles]
« on: February 19, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »

I knew Mrs Guest's family were into knitting in a big way, you ought to have seen the speed her mother could make the the needles dance, but I didn't realise that this might come in handy in my hobby.  A rope fender for a tug model was the first and last thing Mrs Guest knitted for me though, as she claimed the string I supplied was very stiff and hurt her fingers!

A most useful thing discovered was that knitters seem to have a fixation on buying new sets of needles.  I can understand the need for different diameters of needles but there are also a range of materials used to make them.  As a result a keen knitter soon acquires a bundle of assorted needles but there always seems to be  for another pair and "old" needles can be declared redundant from time to time.  Don't let them be thrown out as our hobby can use them....

Some needles are made from metal, usually hard drawn aluminium in my experience and some are given a plastic coating as well.  Using a suitable diameter, I've used them as shafts for paddle-wheels in models.  They are strong and stiff enough for the forces involved plus the plastic coating produces a low friction surface that is corrosion resistant.  I suppose they could also be used as propeller shafts transmitting modest Power/Torque.

The metal needles can come in small diameter and I have on occasions used them to make the linkage between the rudder and servo arms.  You would probably have to enlarge the holes in the arms to match them but the result should still be a stiff but free moving linkage.

Needles can also be made out of wood or plastic.  Wooden ones might have uses in making spars, booms or masts on the appropriate models.  Plastic ones could be used the same but I tend to cut them up and make them into deck fittings and such like, just as good a buying lengths of plastic and a darn sight cheaper!

So, if there is a knitter or two in the family you could ask them for any spare needles, but I warn you that it might be dangerous to just "borrow" some when they are not looking....

Glynn Guest

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Knitting saves the day [+knitting needles]
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:24:27 am »

***Topic name modified***
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Knitting saves the day [+knitting needles]
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:56:24 am »

I have long used plastic knitting needles to make fittings for my boats.   Some I have even had to buy myself!  :embarrassed:    They come in quite big diameters.

Don't forget crochet. My mother made a couple of bow fenders for me when i was a teenager and one is still in use on my Cervia.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.